Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2012, 10:18 PM

Kitten with a death wish.

Our new neighbours at the back of us have a kitten, it sits on the shed and has no fear of the dogs at all, not even when they're baying for it's blood.
Up until now it's never actually come into the garden, just stalks them by walking along the fence.
Not today though, let them out after noting the kitten was sat on another neighbours shed.
It spotted the dogs and made a beeline for them, it sat on the fence above them, with them looking up at it going crazy.......then it just leapt down
The dogs chased it up the path nipping and jostling it. I SCREAMED at the dogs who amazingly listened to me and I managed to hustle them behind a gate, Reg has his head poked through the gap and STILL the kitten is wandering over to him!!!!!!!!
I think I know what I need to do....water pistol?
Trouble is, I'll feel so cruel, I love cats, and he's so cute, but I have to be cruel to be kind
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Jeez yes, a water pistol is better than teeth. Kitty obviously has not learnt that big bowfy things have bigger teefs and will bite!

Problem with cats (and I love cats btw), is they think they rule the universe. So a big bowfy thing with teef is just another thing that they should lord over.

In all seriousness, I think a squirt or two with a water pistol should deter that daft cat. Oh and it is said that cats really hate orange or lemon peelings (this could be an old wives tale) but some along your fence may not harm and may keep stoopid cat out.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Defintley sounds like the lesser of two evils.
Does your neighbour know their kitten has a death wish? I'd let them know what you were planning to do and why beforehand so they don't look out their window one day and see you randomly squirting their kitten with a water pistol! Haha
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
Defintley sounds like the lesser of two evils.
Does your neighbour know their kitten has a death wish? I'd let them know what you were planning to do and why beforehand so they don't look out their window one day and see you randomly squirting their kitten with a water pistol! Haha
lol, I was debating whether I should explain to them first for this very reason!
The first time she let the cat out and it was on our shed, she apologised, I explained I have no problem with the cat being in our garden but the dogs obviously did!
I've seen this kitty being carried home by various other neighbours who have the same concerns.
They have another cat who is very dog savvy and stays away, shame the kitten doesn't seem to be learning by example
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I think OH will have to do the squirting, I couldn't bear to see it's confused little face, probably be easier when it's older and not quite as endearing...if it lives that long, they're loads of dogs around here.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Jeez yes, a water pistol is better than teeth. Kitty obviously has not learnt that big bowfy things have bigger teefs and will bite!

Problem with cats (and I love cats btw), is they think they rule the universe. So a big bowfy thing with teef is just another thing that they should lord over.

In all seriousness, I think a squirt or two with a water pistol should deter that daft cat. Oh and it is said that cats really hate orange or lemon peelings (this could be an old wives tale) but some along your fence may not harm and may keep stoopid cat out.
Thanks, going to try the peel suggestion.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-10-2012, 11:17 PM
You can get cat deterrent spray, but it doesn't last long. Anything citrus-smelling will do. Also, I have noticed cheetah hates the smell of toothpaste - so that might be worth trying.

Cat's are funny - that's the exact reason why Cheetah is an indoor cat... she's scared of nothing!

You've probably already seen this..

LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Aww, cute pic.
Trouble is there are so many entry points to the garden, it's a weird layout, their side fence runs right across the back of our garden, which is a small square then it veers left up a passage to a gated parking space (about 70ft in all) and even if I managed to deter the cat from the fence it can just walk around and come under through/over the gate.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Does sound pretty awkward Lindsay.

I would definitely consider having a word with the neighbours, but not sure anything apart from cat-proofing your garden will keep them out tbh.

I considered cat proofing the garden for Cheetah, but never got around to it.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Hmmm. that looks good for keeping cats in but does it keep them out?
Wouldn't something like that have to be done from their side or the cat could just walk to the edge and jump?
Also, I think technically the fence belongs to them and they rent....truth is, they could move out tomorrow, they're the third family to live there in three years!

I'll have a word with the neighbour and give her a heads up on the situation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >