View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Zena taken a chunk off the top of a nail!

Saw all the blood when we got back from our morning walk, but thankfully, it had all dried up and stopped. I washed it and saw that it was a chunk taken off the top of a nail near the end, not near the quick, I can see the "red" bit so I've dried it and sprayed it with purple spray antesceptic and she seems fine on it.

Took her out for a 2nd walk just now, on the nice, clean grass, didn't wrap it up and it didn't bleed and stayed clean with that purple on it. When we got into the bootroom, I went to open the back door into the kitchen to let Georgie come out into the garden, didn't realise Zena was standing with her front legs next to me on the big step and guess what I did? I bladdy trod on it!!!! She screamed out, I felt so awful, I wanted to hug her and say how sorry I was, so she went mental as I got down on the floor, pushed me over, and then tried to give me a horrible tongue kiss as I was laughing Oh that dog, she's totally nuts!!!! That's more affection than I get when I'm nice to her!!!!!

On a serious note, is this going to be serious??? Do I need a vet?? She's fine on it, no lameness, no fresh blood, she's not licking at it, it's not bothering her, but of course, I'm worried about infection, but hopefully, the purple spray is helping me with that! We don't like going to the vet unless it's serious ya see, it's a bit of a trauma for us, sadly
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 12:41 PM
My boy did this about 10 days ago, and we have just kept a very close eye on it and bathed it occasionally with salt water, although that made him lick it so we didnt do it much.

It appears fine, we have kept a close eye for signs of infection and there havent been any and the nail is gradually coming back over.

He showed no sign of it stopping him running and apart from a small amount of licking (made worse if we bathed it), he has been fine on normal walks.

I think as long as you are sure there is no infection and you keep it clean, it is a bit like us ripping a nail off so should given a little time sort itself out, but if it looks like an infection has started or they limp i would see the vet as soon as.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 12:45 PM
No she shouldn't need a vet H. Just keep it clean. I think you need an appointment at the opticians though if you can't see a dog Zenas size and stand on the poor girl .
Lily ripped her whole dew claw off and broke the quick inside too. I was 10 mile from home with her and it bled and bled. I got her indoors and dipped her nail in flour to stop the bleeding and then bandaged it. I wouldn't have taken her to the vets but she was spayed the next day so they took the bandage off cleaned it up and left it open for the air to heal it. Which it has beautifuly and the nail is now starting to grow again.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 12:51 PM
We went to the vet with Ruperts torn nail but his wasn't torn completely off, he'd ripped a huge chunk of it mostly off and the rest was just hanging on. He was given pain killers, antibiotics and had to go in the next day to have the nail cut right back. Infection set in unfortunately and we thought he was going to lose the toe at one point but thankfully we managed to clear it up in time that it didn't come to that. We were in and out of the vets for about a month with it though.

Keep a REALLY close eye on it and if there's any sign it's not healing I'd get to the vet. Personally I'd phone them and ask their opinion on whether it's worth taking her in to be honest but I might be a bit paranoid after Rupe almost losing a toe because of a similar injury.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Ouchies!

I would just dip in hot salt water, purple spray it and then just leave it be, unless it starts to look spetic.

Hope it grows back asap!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Can i ask what the purple spray is?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 02:25 PM
If it was my dog I would just keep an eye on it over the next few days.

I am forever standing on Tala poor soul ... paws, nose, you name it But she seems very forgiving of my clumsiness.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh no poor baby. If it were me H like others have said i'd just keep an eye but i'd say with all your tlc she will be fine!
Skye is forever running under our feet little sausage but with Ivan its the opposite he is forever treading on us - ouch!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Hope that nail heals without the need of a vet.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Can i ask what the purple spray is?
It's something us horsey peops swear by, you could clean up a gaping wound on a horse, cover it with purple spray and then chuck them back out in the mud without a care in the world!!! Soooo, I bought some for the dogs because dog vets just don't seem to have anything like it in their little cupboards! You can get it at any horse supply shop, I have one up the road, and she told me she uses it on all her dogs, cut pads, cuts and scrapes, so she convinced me it would be ok for previous cut pads and it was.

The beauty of this stuff is, it draws, dries and kills both gram positive and gram negative bacteria (or so it tells me on the bottle!), because I don't like using anything "wet" to heal on a wound that's going to have contact with the ground, I like to know it's a protective barrier kind of thing. It's good stuff, but you always get the purple hands and Zena has a purple foot! My one's made by Westgate, BUT, an equine vet has the real mcCoy which is THE best!

Oh thanks for all this advice and help guys, very much appreciated. She's zooming around the garden playing with her ball, so at least she's not in pain, and it still looks clean and dry. Poor little mite, having my foot on it, but that might teach her that I don't have to have her right by my blooming feet ALL of the time! Talk about a shadow plus I think she's forgiven me now, or at least forgotten what I did! Thanks again, I will be keeping a very strict eye on it, coz I did see an old thread on here where a dog lost it's toe!

I just can't believe how she did this though? She's had many a cut carpal pad, but never anything like this, I can't fathom it out from a walk on grassland, although of course, we do have flints in this area.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >