Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate9281
New Member!
Female 

13-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Enclosed dog parks near Horley, Surrey

Hi have a hyper Labradoodle and worried about letting off the lead but would love to see her run. We have a 30mtr long line but she just gets in her stride and then has to stop as I can't run with her. Does anyone know of any enclosed dog parks near the Horley, Surrey area. If you do could you give me directions. Many thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by kate9281 View Post
Hi have a hyper Labradoodle and worried about letting off the lead but would love to see her run. We have a 30mtr long line but she just gets in her stride and then has to stop as I can't run with her. Does anyone know of any enclosed dog parks near the Horley, Surrey area. If you do could you give me directions. Many thanks
Sorry, I don`t know of any but I can recommend a trainer over that way if you want help with teaching her recall?
kate9281
New Member!
Female 

13-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Sorry, I don`t know of any but I can recommend a trainer over that way if you want help with teaching her recall?
Hi ya thanks for answering, I did have a trainer Lisa Childs who was brilliant but am just an over worrying owner as this is my very first dog. Emma (my baby) will come to me and my husband at home on most recalls but once outside it is a total different matter. Will persevere with long lead but at the moment we have just had her spayed so on short walks for a bit. Thanks again K8
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't know any parks sorry, but my parents own a labradoodle and oh my goodness he was a cheeky hyper gorgeous pup! They didn't let him off the lead for aaaages till he had settled down a bit with age! LOL, but now he's 3 and great offlead, they just need to make sure they have a stick or a ball and then he's obsessed with it and ignores everything else!

xxx
kate9281
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I don't know any parks sorry, but my parents own a labradoodle and oh my goodness he was a cheeky hyper gorgeous pup! They didn't let him off the lead for aaaages till he had settled down a bit with age! LOL, but now he's 3 and great offlead, they just need to make sure they have a stick or a ball and then he's obsessed with it and ignores everything else!

xxx
Yep that sounds like our Emma, she's only turned 6 months so got a way to go by the looks of it LOL!!. Glad its a breed thing thought we only had the super hyper one LOL glad there are others of us out there. Thanks for replying to my thread xx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I saw one of TV (a weather girl owns him) he has no recall when out and about, from what she said. I also know someone at work who has one, I do not know about his recall but I know he is said to be a handfull in other areas.
Goodluck xxxxxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:40 AM
There`s a few people round our way have them and I haven`t noticed this. I`d have thought the combination of breeds would have made them the same to train as, say, a Springer - driven but responsive? But I suppose they`re all different.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Found a link:
http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/thismor...sandreamclean/
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There`s a few people round our way have them and I haven`t noticed this. I`d have thought the combination of breeds would have made them the same to train as, say, a Springer - driven but responsive? But I suppose they`re all different.
Definately, Barney is superb, mum has found him easy to train, I reckon he could do more, gun dog training etc.. once he grew up a bit. He's very driven by balls/toys etc when out with mum and doesn't even bother with other dogs! They're so submissive to other dogs too, never any trouble xxx

How old is she Kate?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't know about enclosed parks but I sometimes take mine to Buchan Country Park which is just off the A264 near Crawley. On Sunday mornings (I think between 11.00 a.m. & noon) they have Labrador swimming meets. I only went there by chance one day & kept seeing all these soaking wets labs everywhere & someone told me about these meetings. I just wondered if it would be a chance for Emma to meet other dogs & have a splash around in the pond?

As for recalls, what makes you think Emma won't come back if you let her off lead? Is it because she wants to get to other dogs or you think she'll chase anything in sight? In my experience, most young dogs are very into other dogs so if you can find an older calm doggy friend for her to walk with, you may have a much better chance of letting her off lead without worrying. If the older dog has a great recall & if you make it hugely rewarding for her to return to you (e.g. roast chicken?), then you may find that her recall is much better than you think.

I help at dog training classes & you'd be surprised at how many owners of 4 to 10 month old puppies have never let their dogs off lead. But when we have the outdoor training session in a local park to bring together everything they've learned in the training hall, we always let the dogs off lead afterwards for a play. We've never yet lost a dog! All the puppies tend to hang around together & every so often all the owners recall their dogs at the same time ~ it works a treat & gives the owners the confidence to know that their dog won't immediately vanish over the horizon when they unclip the lead.

If you think it would help, I could meet you there with my 2 dogs one day?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >