Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2007, 09:59 PM

oh heck what have i done virus scan thing

i have had mcafee total protection for the last 2 years, never any bother, now this year when i upgraded it mucked my email up.that was o.k switched from outlook express and all was o.k.i got my new one (mcafee upgrade)in january and today the mcafee wouldn't open properly, it had scanned my laptop and then the laptop began running slowly so i tried to rescan,it wouldn't let me, i uninstalled and tried to reinstall and the disc i have won't open,i tried to download it from my account with mcafee again it won't open i have tried a system recover but that didn't fix it.i am not good with computers and don't know what to do,any ideas???thankyou
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2007, 11:23 PM
if you do a system restore to an earlier date then uninstall it and a new install should be ok there are more people having the same problem
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...e_lotus_notes/

why not use avast that is good and no problem with it up to now and free
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Agree with Fred. I used to use McAfee, but have switched to Avast and its free. It also found viruses that McAfee didn`t
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2007, 09:32 AM
thankyou both i downloaded the avast last night but then i got this weird dialogue box telling me that the right size disk or something along those lines was not inserted i googled what it said and it was to do with the avast once i deleted the avast the box went any other reccomendations??
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2007, 01:42 PM
I downloaded a McAfee update last month and I'm not impressed either. Rather than make me feel that I've done the right thing, it now tells me that 'you are not protected' when I've downloaded the correct version and it is working as I want it to, and tries to sell other products to me, which I don't want or need.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Katrina342 View Post
I downloaded a McAfee update last month and I'm not impressed either. Rather than make me feel that I've done the right thing, it now tells me that 'you are not protected' when I've downloaded the correct version and it is working as I want it to, and tries to sell other products to me, which I don't want or need.
i have uninstalled it and left it i don't understand what is wrong with it guess there is no more shopping online for me
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i have uninstalled it and left it i don't understand what is wrong with it guess there is no more shopping online for me
go there http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
and don't save it just click on English and run
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 12:39 PM
thanks fred i have it running at the moment and it hadn't picked anything up on the first scan but am doing a more thorough scan just in case so it would seem that the mcafee is the problem and not my laptop well that was a waste of £40
i had to save it to disk as i couldn't select run but so far no box has appeared
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
thanks fred i have it running at the moment and it hadn't picked anything up on the first scan but am doing a more thorough scan just in case so it would seem that the mcafee is the problem and not my laptop well that was a waste of £40
i had to save it to disk as i couldn't select run but so far no box has appeared
that is the problem with the pre-installed software had Norton on mine but deleted it all first didn't give it a chance to install that avast is good it will do updates automatically but you have to register it even if it is free
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I use AVG free.
Spybot search and destroy
Adaware personal edition
CCleaner
Spywarebalster

all free!

No issues as long as you keep them up to date and run them weekly.

If you want the links I am happy to oblige.

Btw, Norton and Macafee suk!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >