Double paw
Dance
Spin
Rollover
Crawl
Through (my arm in a hoop)
Jump (Over any object)
Cuddle (jump on my knee)

I want to teach a bow, but cant get her lured in to the position and so far just associating the world with the behavior hasnt worked!

What are some fun new ideas, and tips on how to teach them?!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
To lure bow, you need to bring the treat from the nose to the floor (similar to if you were training down) but push it backwards, under their chest which means then tend to bow their head but keep the bum up in the air. It was the easiest way we found. They’ll drop into down occasionally, just don’t reward. Play around and you’ll work out how far to push it back. Take a bow is one of Cain’s favourite tricks

Tricks – there are loads you can do! I have a good book, trick training for Dummies. Here’s just a few to get you started…..(I’ll probably think of more later!)

Pray – get the dog to put paws on a table/your knees/your arms and bow its head. Release command – Amen!
Bang/play dead – dog drops flat on its side on the floor. I use a hand signal like a gun and say Bang.
March together – Cain will sit next to me and lift is paws to match my marching.
Balance a treat on a nose, flick it up and catch (haven’t tried this one with Cain yet, just thinking of ideas).
Look up some heelwork to music moves – Cain has just started weaving through my legs.
Sit up and beg (depending on dogs length of back, size and joints)
Stand on back legs (again, depending on appropriate dog)
Drumming – teach the dog to sit and bang on an upside down washing up bowl with it’s paws.
Shy dog – dog puts head down and puts paw across nose
Shake head – ask a question like “are you a good dog?”, dog shakes head, it’s very funny
Speak! All dogs love to bark. Also teach Quiet.
Shut the door – train the dog to push the door with his nose
Shake it – get the dog to shake like it was wet
Put your toys away – teach the dog to tidy up toys into a box

Finally we’re working up to the ultimate – bring me a beer from the fridge! (I’m not kidding, the book tells me how!)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Look up the "kikopup" channel on Youtube for some good ideas (and instructional videos)

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Balance a treat on a nose, flick it up and catch (haven’t tried this one with Cain yet, just thinking of ideas).
This is Kiki's party trick I filmed it but silly me held the camera the wrong way, whoops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBZ5YqW8vI
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I tried bow like that but it's how I taught down and she's so quick to lie.. then when I put the food back into her she just shuffles back and lies down!

Forgot we can actually do pray! Also can do Remote (Fetch the TV remote which I was very proud of)

Tried beg and she just stands on her hind legs (I call that dance!)

I like the idea of banging, and head shaking and march though. How do you teach head, just linking the word to the movement?

I thought about bark, but I'm not sure teaching my vocal breed to bark more than usual is a good idea

Thankyou for the channel too krlyr, will take a look at that when I get back from work.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
To teach mine bow, i started by putting my arm underneath the belly and lure them down with a treat
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Another way of teaching the bow is to throw a titbit under a dining room chair......................
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I was trying to get Louie to just do something with a mat the other day using the clicker - he doesn't like to think for himself but he's learning, anyway after he sat and stood on the mat, he went to lie down - and I clicked wrong - he now bows on the mat...

I also taught Louie to close the doors, he already knew nose touches, so I got him to touch a post it note on my hand and then moved it to the door - told him "Touch close" instead of the touch for my hand and he learn't it really quickly.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I taught Polo to bow on cue just by capturing it with the clicker each time he did it.

He always does it when he gets up out of bed in the morning, so it was easy.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the tips.. Chairs are too tall so tried putting food under the sofa.. and she's bowed!! Now how to move from under the sofa....

I should definatlely (sp?) teach touch too.
Also I have been trying 'take it' so that we can eventaully do things like tug doors open (could then get a beer out the fridge!) but am having no luck?

Also whats clicking wrong?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Thanks for the tips.. Chairs are too tall so tried putting food under the sofa.. and she's bowed!! Now how to move from under the sofa....

I should definatlely (sp?) teach touch too.
Also I have been trying 'take it' so that we can eventaully do things like tug doors open (could then get a beer out the fridge!) but am having no luck?

Also whats clicking wrong?
Clicking wrong is when I click too early or too late..do you clicker train?

If not, I would suggest it as it is a really good way to train treats and getting them precise

Take it is a hard one for some, first reward the dog for looking, or acknowledging a toy of some sort, then ignore the look, wait for then to lick or nudge or bite, then ignore and reward then picking it up, then ignore that until she brings it to you.. and so on and so fourth - Smokey bear can give you a precise chain of it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >