View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Pets and elderly people - advice please!!

My next door but one neighbour is 86 and has been a widower for about 13 years now. Since I moved here 4 years ago, I used to occassionally walk her little poodle for her as she isn't the most mobile OAP and is a bit frail. The dog who was 16 unfortunately passed away last year and my neighbour was, well still is, heartbroken as he was her life.

She's asked me today should she get another dog? What can I say to her? As I say she does struggle to get about and is really lonely. Her family live nearby and come round a lot but obviously they have their own lives and it doesn't fill the space of having someone or something around as company 24/7.

She says she doesn't want a budgie or a cat etc, she would want a dog but doesn't know if it would be too much for her. She did struggle to walk her old dog but as he was old he couldn't have much exercise anyway so in a way it was a good match. It also got her out of the house and gave her a bit of purpose - you know she used to see neighbours etc as she went round the block.

I was torn as to what to say. I know she's getting on but like I told her she could have another 20 years yet - she has a friend who is 102 who is still very independant etc. I did suggest she may have an older dog but she is worried that they would not adapt to her or would be likely to be ill agian and she doesn't want to get attached again and go through all that heartache again (I know there are no guarantees with any dog).

So, what would you suggest to her?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I would suggest what you have suggested, an old dog would be perfect for her and would soon fall into her lifestyle. You could lay it on thick about it being the older dogs that are left in rescues and how much good she would be doing???
Bless her, I can totally see where she is coming from.

Could the Cinnamon Trust help at all I wonder?
http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/ctrust.html
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks Ramble. I did say that to her about an older dog - as I say she is worried that they are going to be more likely to get ill/die etc and she has that set in her mind! I said she doesn't have to have a really old dog but a middle aged dog, something like that? She has so much love and attention to give a dog, it seems a shame shes there on her own.

Thanks for the link - I think they are more for helping people who already have pets?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Well there is obviously no way she could cope with a lively young dog/puppy.

Don't want to be harsh but I think that she needs to put the dog's need first. The only acceptable solution is an oldie who is as slow as her. She may not want to suffer the heartache of losing another dog but what would happen to the dog if she was to pop her clogs first? (sorry )

J
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Ah but once she has it...she already has pets...if you see what I mean!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I would think that rescuing an oldie is the most sensible way to go.
See if you can make her think about how wonderful it would be to give a poor old dog a last chance in a loving home
Oooh what a dilemma.
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Ahh....see what you mean Ramble.

Not being harsh Mothership, she is wondering if it would be fair on the dog to get another one at all. I'd imagine the family would have it if anything happened to her?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes an old dog i'd advise too, there are a lot of healthy oldies looking for homes, what about another poodle? I'm sure if you found some info on a couple of little oldies looking for homes she'd be interested, a lot of people fear for homing older dogs for the same reason but someone who can give an older dog a home is someone very special IMO.
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I think another mini poodle would be a good idea. I've searched but nothing nearby coming up. I was thinking if there was something I could print it off for her.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:46 PM
What about having a word with the Oldies Club
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >