Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
So in your opinion us of us that do eg myself and Morganstar should be avoided.
Sorry ZB but I spotted some very strange things going on on the free sites and I think good breeders would be unwise to associate themselves with them.

I spotted a number of different litters/different owners/ and tracked them all down to the same address . I also did a search with the local licensing authority and found out some very odd things. Anyone less thorough could have ended up with a puppy from these people thinking they were buying from a small breeder. These sites are not for me I'm afraid and for those who do use them it's a case of 'buyer beware'.

If you have puppies to sell why not do it through the breed clubs. Associating with people who don't have the best breeding practices really isn't helping those who are searching for a quality puppy, and for good breeders to advertise there gives a legitimacy to the sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I would not be assoicated with my breed club here unless they play fair, im not gonna start making slanderous accusations on a public forum im not to daft, but i know what you mean, if I was looking for a puppy I would check out the advertisers to, and as i check out my buyers the questions i ask i am suprised if they buy one to be honest, but i advertise on one free site the other is a paid site, but i would expect them to check me out and don't mind in the least the questions they ask me, so if i dont mind i hope they don't mind.
However breed clubs should be something not all of them are and only then are they letting us down.

One of the members are telling new puppy owners you can't heart score in ireland, when in fact you drive over the border to the south and can get it done there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Sorry ZB but I spotted some very strange things going on on the free sites and I think good breeders would be unwise to associate themselves with them.

I spotted a number of different litters/different owners/ and tracked them all down to the same address . I also did a search with the local licensing authority and found out some very odd things. Anyone less thorough could have ended up with a puppy from these people thinking they were buying from a small breeder. These sites are not for me I'm afraid and for those who do use them it's a case of 'buyer beware'.

If you have puppies to sell why not do it through the breed clubs. Associating with people who don't have the best breeding practices really isn't helping those who are searching for a quality puppy, and for good breeders to advertise there gives a legitimacy to the sites

I think that is a very good point, if you are breeding on a regular basis, why not register with your breeds , breed club.. advertising on their puppy lists.

Would it not be better for someone to be associated with their breed club as a first port of call, instead of the free add sites.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
As said in the above post I have one with a free site, and one with a paid site, tbh Idon't see a problem, why should ethical breeder's be associated with unethical breeder's because they advertise in the same places as a one off.

Also as said I would expect someone to do there homework and if they answere all of the sometimes personal questions and pass the interview stage and I like them then they will get on to the list.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post

Also as said I would expect someone to do there homework and if they answere all of the sometimes personal questions and pass the interview stage and I like them then they will get on to the list.
it is also important for the buyer to equally integrate the breeder..

Asking how many litters, why they breed, do they show or not , if not why do they breed, do they breed for the pet market, or when they are looking to keep a pup for them selves.

Do they know and carry out the relevant health screening for their dogs, to see proof of said screening... how many litters one bitch has had, what are there policies on taking dogs back, after support, and I am sure there are many more I cant think of.

A good breeder does not have to be the most successful show breeder .
The pet /hobby breeder, I dont have a problem with, if they are breeding for a reason..keeping a pup, have a huge waiting list... if they are only breeding a litter every couple of yrs or so...

But the mass production breeder who only breeds for the pet market is another matter, and sadly we see these on the free ad site time and time again.... and I suspect they go there because they will know they get the buyer who does not ask a lot of questiions.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Even those recommended by the breed clubs can sometimes be unethical.
I know of someone who refused to take a dog back they bred yet is an active serving comittee member and as far as I know still breeding.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
My puppies are on the lists of all the breed clubs as well, and if anyone rings I gve them the number of the main one to check out.
By the way as an aside theres a lot of top breeders using a certain site at the moment as like everyone with litters to sell the combination of the current economic crisis coupled with the demand for so called designer breeds is making it hard to sell.
If just one person buys from me instead of a pf because of my ad I feel justified in using them.
No one seems to have answered my hypothetical question from earlier either.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
[quote=morganstar;1401915]Hypothetical question.
You book a puppy from a reputable breeder who you've been recommended by a very good source. You go see the aforementioned pup meet the owner and are more than happy with both the breeder and the pup.
The breeder has a few left to sell so at 4 wekks old the remaining litter are advertised on a free ad site.
What do you do, as you've already said you wouldnt buy from one of them.

As you can see its not all black/white.

Lot's of people say one thing hun, then do the oppisite.
Or say to peoples faces what they think they want to hear then do something diffrent.

Just some people are like this and you can't turn them.
Some people form opinions on people who they don't know based on certain hearsay then wont turn to save face.

Hypocrit's.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Hypothetical question.
You book a puppy from a reputable breeder who you've been recommended by a very good source. You go see the aforementioned pup meet the owner and are more than happy with both the breeder and the pup.
The breeder has a few left to sell so at 4 wekks old the remaining litter are advertised on a free ad site.
What do you do, as you've already said you wouldnt buy from one of them.

As you can see its not all black/white.
I had an enquiry yesterday for a girl and all mine are sold I explained what she needed to ask for and told her what to avoid when buying etc.
This is one I've managed to educate away fro byb by having an ad on a free site.
Hypothetically...

If I had done my research, met you, liked you, like the way you raised your pups, was happy you answered all my questions....then found you have advertised some of the pups on a free add site...

I guess I would still go with you....as the simple fact is...

I HAD MET YOU!!!!!!!

You where not an unknown face on the other end of an add
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

The free ads are full of dodgy dealers but the fact is it's often the place where novice or less well informed people look first. I don't believe I'm the only person who thought breed clubs were only for show dogs.

Legitimacy is irrelevant as these sites are already where most people are going to find a pup and until that's changed they'll be the best place for actually making a difference.

How could posting an informative and educational ad in these places do anything but good????

J

PS Not having a go at you Mini but I thought quoting your post would help me to make my counter points clearer.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »