Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
But does that make me bad as I pay a yearly subscription and have an add running for a Planned litter? its not a free adds site its a breeders site,, but if im not selling pups solely by word of mouth is that a bad thing?
I don't know Shona..

I got into Mal "circles" and quickly pegged the breeders I wanted to ask..NONE of them advertised as they didn't have to.. They have lists running all the time as their dogs are highly sought after..Don't think its anything to do with showing its all about reputation..
Temprement is a big thing to me and this is what I looked for more than anything..I got to know who breeds excellent temp dogs..and thats what led me to the breeders I wanted..
Maybe you should have your own website and advertise your litters on there..that way if people want a pup they will find it..
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I personally wouldnt advertise in the freeads, I have only bred twice and on both occassions I had very large list of people wanting pups BEFORE I bred, I wouldnt breed if I didnt have enough people on my list, at least enough to cover a large litter, some of the people waiting on my list were there for two years near enough, during that waiting time I met them quite often and was totally sure those were the right people for one of my pups, also to be honest advertising on the freeads I wouldnt want to be tarred with the same brush, even though I DO all the relevant health test, breed when the dogs are of an appropriate age, etc I could not sell one of my pups like a bag of sugar to the first person to contact me for a pup I NEED to know the owners properly before any of my pups leave me. and I think you only really get to know people if you meet them a few times, anyone can appear the "right" owner if you only get to meet them the once, ok rambling here lol answer NO I wouldnt lol.

Mo
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I have 2 ads running at the minute, as despite the list's and the fact I have 2 litter's. I had lots of dog's born this year,and only 3 bitches. And some have gone from wanting brindle to wanting red's and the other way round, I believe the only way of ethical breeders to find homes is to build up lists and without advertising how will they know if you have puppies if like me you haven't been able to get out to do much showing this year,(due to health problems) lot's of people like to take pop's at other breeders advertising on free sites, why not? It cost's enough money to breed and raise a litter to a high quality as it is, Heart scoring, vaccinating, hip scoring, bedding milk, pup food etc etc, if they can advertise free why not? as long as they still remain ethical, as was said some times the biggest show kennels dont always produce the best healthy puppies, I know of a breeder who does her best for her dogs the same as me, and is still slammed for advertising on these sites, until you have done and walked a day or a month in the shoe's of a breeder you can only presume, if ethical breeders all advertised on these sites surely it is what is best for the new owners, to buy a ethicaly bred pup and not go to BYB's there are good and bad on both ethical sites and free ad sites, And imo it is up to the breeder to advertise were ever they see fit. JMO
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I wouldn't say the KC has an ethical advertising system. They allow anyone to advertise a litter on their without any health testing and some very unethical breeders are even on the Accredited breeders scheme !
You bet me too it, as long as you pay your £15.00 the KC will advertise your litter. Unlike on other sites you dont have to put the parents or the ped down and they dont ask if your carry out the relevent checks. The only policing they do is refuse to register more than 4 litters PER BREED per year.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
You bet me too it, as long as you pay your £15.00 the KC will advertise your litter. Unlike on other sites you dont have to put the parents or the ped down and they dont ask if your carry out the relevent checks. The only policing they do is refuse to register more than 4 litters PER BREED per year.

Well thats a start dont you think, We all know the kc has many faults..but at least it helps stop the over breeding of bitches... by only registering a given amount..I know to an unethical breeder , they will still get round these rules...people always will...not registering all litters, falsifying papers, and so on.

I would still rather go to the kc site, and others of such ilk, (breders own sites) than go to a free add paper, on line or off.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well thats a start dont you think, We all know the kc has many faults..but at least it helps stop the over breeding of bitches... by only registering a given amount..I know to an unethical breeder , they will still get round these rules...people always will...not registering all litters, falsifying papers, and so on.

I would still rather go to the kc site, and others of such ilk, (breders own sites) than go to a free add paper, on line or off.
The reading of pedigree's helps me in my breed, esp when im out crossing to a diffrent line i think in case's like this the kc should not register litter's with out DNA as in all breeds im sure there are byb and people who jump on the badwagon to make a quick buck, and lots fall off too.

But ot be honest there should be some thing set up by the kennel club to ensure that falsifying of papers dont happen it is just making a mockery of us who do it right.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
No I certainly wouldn't. In the days when I was involved with breeding we had a long waiting list and only a select few were allowed to have our puppies.

Many good breed clubs have a list of breeders who sign up to 'a code of ethics' which includes health testing all stock . They usually have a list of approved breeders and those with recent litters too.
This is the MSCGB code of ethics

1. Members will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Members will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
3. Members will ensure that their dogs shall wear properly tagged collars and shall be kept fully leashed or under effective control when away from home.
4. Members will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
5. Members will agree without reservation that any Veterinary Surgeon operating on any of their dogs, which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operations to the Kennel Club.
6. Members agree not to breed from a bitch which is in any way deleterious to the bitch of the breed.
7. Members agree only to sell puppies and old dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
8. Members will provide written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
9. Members will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind.
10. Members will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the quality of the dog.
11. Members will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided when selling or transferring a dog including a copy of this code.

Specifically
12. Members will submit breeding stock to the KC/BVA Eye Scheme for screening and will make available copies of the relevant documents to purchasers of their stock.
When I was puppy hunting recently, (having already spoken to many well known breeders and checked the breed club approved breeders list then cross referenced it with the KC approved list also just to see what people were up to . ) I had a good look at the free ads just to be sure none of them were advertising on there. (It's a good way of checking who to avoid )
Good breeders rarely breed but will usually know exactly who has or is expecting a litter and will be happy to help with a puppy search if they think you will make a suitable owner. They don't use free ads..
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
When I was showing and had my own website I never had to advertise when I had my two litters, I had more than enough people on my lists. However, I advertised my youngsters on one of the free sites recently and had a few people contact me about them, of those I interrogated two of them, both of whom I would have been happy to let one of mine go to.

The first people met Ebony but she took a dislike to their pup for some reason. The second lady is meeting with Giddy next week, I'm driving him over to Wales to meet her and see where he will be living before I decide anything, and obviously she will want to check us out too.

I don't see a problem with advertising as long as you check the people out as you would if they contacted you to be on a list for a pup. I do think that something should be done about those people that persistantly advertise pups and older stock that has been bred without health checks and purely for financial gain.

Equally, hopefully potential owners will see ethical breeders mentioning health tests etc and realise that they should be asking certain questions.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:43 PM
[quote=Minihaha;1402153]No I certainly wouldn't. In the days when I was involved with breeding we had a long waiting list and only a select few were allowed to have our puppies.

Many good breed clubs have a list of breeders who sign up to 'a code of ethics' which includes health testing all stock . They usually have a list of approved breeders and those with recent litters too.
This is the MSCGB code of ethics

When I was puppy hunting recently, (having already spoken to many well known breeders and checked the breed club approved breeders list then cross referenced it with the KC approved list also just to see what people were up to . ) I had a good look at the free ads just to be sure none of them were advertising on there. (It's a good way of checking who to avoid )

So in your opinion us of us that do eg myself and Morganstar should be avoided.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

There are 9 litters on the KC web site in one breed I'm researching at the moment. With the exception of about three the rest of them are pet people who have no idea what it entails to breed a litter and personally I wouldnt buy a toy dog off some of them, in contrast there were three litters on the free ad site all were well bred and two I know personally, who have fabulous stock.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 30 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »