Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Kel do you think they have better word of mouth sales as they do more showing than I do? Or that they have been breeding longer plays a part?
I would say the proof is in the pudding!!!

The quality /temperament/ health of the dogs...comes first.... and if you are known for breeding pups with all these qualities... hopefully you will have people waiting for your pups.

Sadly the most successful kennels dont always produce the best dogs... in looks yes, but sometimes temperaments can be somewhere down their priorities....

I do think we are talking about a minority of free add sites here.... I agree with Random, some of them are alike to putting a notice up in a shop window.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Hypothetical question.
You book a puppy from a reputable breeder who you've been recommended by a very good source. You go see the aforementioned pup meet the owner and are more than happy with both the breeder and the pup.
The breeder has a few left to sell so at 4 wekks old the remaining litter are advertised on a free ad site.
What do you do, as you've already said you wouldnt buy from one of them.

As you can see its not all black/white.
I had an enquiry yesterday for a girl and all mine are sold I explained what she needed to ask for and told her what to avoid when buying etc.
This is one I've managed to educate away fro byb by having an ad on a free site.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Kel do you think they have better word of mouth sales as they do more showing than I do? Or that they have been breeding longer plays a part?
Both, they have been breeding and showing good dogs for a lot of years and a lot of rotts today have their dogs in their ped.

It's easier in the smaller breeds to have a full litter booked before you breed but considering in rotts you could get a lot of pups and to be realistic it is difficult to have that many homes lined up through word of mouth unless you or dogs you have bred are constantly in the ring or you have been breeding for a long time.

I think it is an asset for breeders to have their own site these days. I see mentioning a litter of pups on there different to putting it in the free ads. In the free ads it's just sitting there alongside lists and lists of byb and puppy farms.

I also see mentioning it on breeder sites (which i'm not allowed to mention here ) different to the free ads.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I think the good, ethical breeders almost have a duty to advertise on these sites. We all talk about irresponsible puppy buyers but at least some of them are just mis-informed and where better to catch their attention than the sites they will be browsing???

Pepper is my first dog, I thought breed clubs were only for people who wanted a dog to show, and unfortunately I didn't find Dogsey until after I got her. I had made the decision that I didn't want an older rescue dog and the only pups I could find in rescue were for breeds I wasn't confidant to take on as a first time owner. So where do you think I looked?

I think breeders like Mahooli (where is she by the way?) who post informative, educational ads, whether they have puppies or not, are doing a service. I would say that breeders like her and the others who give up their own time to educate the people who call them are really doing more to help than those who look down their nose at these sites and refuse to have anything to do with them. I don't mean to offend anyone but why would you wish to avoid this opportunity to educate people about your chosen breed and the right way to go about getting a puppy?

J
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I guess that makes a very valid arguement, So poss a good idea would be breed clubs running an add for that breed with a helpline sort of number where people could call and get info and a list of good breeders,
I think that would be a good idea. I know several rescues that advertise on freeads, just to let people know they exist rather than to advertise something for sale.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Dilkara View Post
I think a prospective owner new to the dog world may not know where to look for a pup, so may start off looking on the freeads. (I know I did last year when i first started considering getting an older dog)

So if more reputabable breeders advertised, perhaps with just advice on how to find a good breeder it might help put a few more 'backyarders' out of business.
Good post, I totally agree. The good breeders can show in their adverts what their dogs have been tested for, then the people looking for a pup will see the difference in the good and bad breeders.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, that is why I said there is no black and white...

There are some reputable sites, the kC , breed sites and so on, not to mention breeders own web sites, I guess you can call that advertising too.
I wouldn't say the KC has an ethical advertising system. They allow anyone to advertise a litter on their without any health testing and some very unethical breeders are even on the Accredited breeders scheme !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I wouldn't say the KC has an ethical advertising system. They allow anyone to advertise a litter on their without any health testing and some very unethical breeders are even on the Accredited breeders scheme !
True , but as I said earlier, it is not all black and white.... the KC , and other reputable sites , have their downfalls also.

Even with these sites the unethical will slip through...

There is no foolproof system set in place stopping an unethical breeder registering on any site.... but some are better than others.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I think the KC is a joke sont feel they have dogs best interest at heart its all about the money.

And I think if breeders are selling pups doesnt matter where they advertise, its upto the breeder I believe to ensure the pups go to good homes.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I think the good, ethical breeders almost have a duty to advertise on these sites. We all talk about irresponsible puppy buyers but at least some of them are just mis-informed and where better to catch their attention than the sites they will be browsing???

Pepper is my first dog, I thought breed clubs were only for people who wanted a dog to show, and unfortunately I didn't find Dogsey until after I got her. I had made the decision that I didn't want an older rescue dog and the only pups I could find in rescue were for breeds I wasn't confidant to take on as a first time owner. So where do you think I looked?

I think breeders like Mahooli (where is she by the way?) who post informative, educational ads, whether they have puppies or not, are doing a service. I would say that breeders like her and the others who give up their own time to educate the people who call them are really doing more to help than those who look down their nose at these sites and refuse to have anything to do with them. I don't mean to offend anyone but why would you wish to avoid this opportunity to educate people about your chosen breed and the right way to go about getting a puppy?

J
I agree. Becky has limited Internet access at the moment and for the foreseeable future, but I also miss her informative posting
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »