View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 05:51 AM
I wonder whether there might be some value in responsible, ethical breeders advertising among the dross. The mention of the various health tests and other desirable details, may provoke some dialogue and give an alternative for Joe Public to choose.
Good point. For that reason alone I would not hesitate in using them. Also, even from the "best" sources eg breed club advert you can get some weird people enquiring, and after all, you do vet them all before deciding whether or not they will have a puppy, don't you?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 08:42 AM
My pups are on there, only because Ive be let down by a few buyers who have decided to go to local "pet" breeders. Ive put in capitols the heath checks that should be carried out and given my hipscores etc. In fact one of the girls went to a very good home after she saw the ad and contracted the breed clubs who then recommeded me.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
The mention of the various health tests and other desirable details, may provoke some dialogue and give an alternative for Joe Public to choose.
I agree and would like to see more reputable breeders advertise in the free ads.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I think there is an element of good and bad on the free add sites...

Ok, taking on board the argument it can help educate the uneducated.... and if it saves one buyer from walking away from the "bad" breeder, then it may hold a point, but those people will be few and far between.

On the whole the people who advertise on these free add sites, are doing so continually, litter after litter, two or three a yr (or more) usually half the price of a puppy from a reputable breeder..... you cant say these breeders are advertising for the good of the breed.

It is a minefield for anyone looking to buy a puppy , if you are going into a new breed , or simple someone who has no idea of ethics in breeding.....and to be honest even on some of the more respected sites.... the unethical can slip through..

My own breed, I have seen on a well respected site, a totally unethical breeder or two, advertising there pups....

There is also the argument of selling "left over "pups on these sites, because you have been let down with new owners.... but then there is the argument of "not" breeding unless you have homes and some...for all your pups...and if you are let down have a reserve list.

For me, the above might be the only reason I would advertise on a free add site...(if I ever bred) but would make it clear , they will be grilled to death..I would not reduce the price either..but I would hope never to be that situation.

My own view is NO I would never buy from a free add site...to me if I am paying for a pedigree puppy , I want one that has come from a ethical breeder..

And the sad fact is... you wont find many on the free add sites.........maybe a few , if you are lucky!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
I agree and would like to see more reputable breeders advertise in the free ads.
The trouble is, "reputable " breeders dont need to advertize in the free adds.... many do not even advertise!!

I know it is not as simple as black and white!!!!!
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2008, 09:14 AM
And the sad fact is... you wont find many on the free add sites.........maybe a few , if you are lucky!!
....which is a good reason for MORE of them to advertise there.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The trouble is, "reputable " breeders dont need to advertize in the free adds.... many do not even advertise!!
And thats the breeders I prefer to go to.. those whose puppies get homes through word of mouth or people referring you to them or just plain old research pointing you towards them
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I dont advertise, I have never had the need.

I do not have any problems with breeders that do advertise, as there are some very good breeders. But I do think that Jackbox made an excellent point
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
NO if I bred I would NEVER advertise on there..

AND I would NEVER buy from there either..

Me neither
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
And thats the breeders I prefer to go to.. those whose puppies get homes through word of mouth or people referring you to them or just plain old research pointing you towards them

But does that make me bad as I pay a yearly subscription and have an add running for a Planned litter? its not a free adds site its a breeders site,, but if im not selling pups solely by word of mouth is that a bad thing?
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »