Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post

Greyhounds naturally love to run but because they are trained - sometimes using live bait - to chase a mechanical lure on a dangerous track and I'm sure they don't like being kept kennelled up 23 hours a day in sub standard kennels and destroyed if they become too slow or injured.
Hang on, didn't we already establish that they don't run because they are trained to - my little Scolari's haven't been trained to yet they're hooning around the place, they're only 8.5 weeks old! My greyhounds are out from early morning until dark so not cooped up for 23 hours a day but also please remember that greyhounds aren't an active breed, they are more than happy to spend 23 hours on a sofa or a bench, they love sleep as much as they love chasing rabbits!
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Well said and we mustn't forget the puppies that don't want to chase or are too slow. Only 52% of puppies bred in the UK make it to the tracks and the industry wont tell us what happens to the rest.
Pups that don't chase or are too slow are poory reared, nothing more nothing less. Every greyhound (barring injury) is capable of making it to the track.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Of course it happens - the Rules of Racing say that trainers and owners can destroy a dog if the injury is uneconomical to treat or if no retirement home can be found.

But the rules are not enforced and many owners and trainers have their dogs destroyed because its the cheapest option.
Why do you keep bringing the trainers into it? It is the owners responsibility to care for the dog after it's career, not the trainers.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Of course it happens - the Rules of Racing say that trainers and owners can destroy a dog if the injury is uneconomical to treat or if no retirement home can be found.

But the rules are not enforced and many owners and trainers have their dogs destroyed because its the cheapest option.
Just picked up on this. Doesnt the first paragraph equate to every dog though? I mean if people cant afford treatment, the dogs are often PTS if the injuries are severe, but if they were able to afford them they could be fixed?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
I have just got back and it has peed down since the moment I left this morning. I am now going to check to see how the video come out to see if I need to do it again.

My hands were shaking and the lens was fogging up, it's going to be suck and see.
Was the video of any use Jiff? Id be interested to watch it if you dont mind.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
******* does not call for greater welfare - he calls for measures which will improve the image of the industry.

He spends his time dreaming up schemes to convey the industry in a good light - schemes that would do nothing to improve the welfare for greyhounds.

AND he quite nastily posts some malicious 'rumours' to try and discredit greyhound protection groups - one of which is this little gem!

'Am sure you're aware of 'dirty tricks' and it is rumoured that certain extremist anti-racing groups are now using dead greyhounds and cutting off their ears then dumping them in the hope they'll be found and used against the sport'

How absolutely insulting that he suggests a greyhound protection group would dream of doing such a thing!

Disgraceful behaviour which only confirms how desperate this industry is to 'win' support.

******* is paid to work for the charity - whilst many others devote their time and money freely.
Interesting quote from the ICC.

From the ICC website
LATEST NEWS

ICC Response to "Dying Hare" Video

PRESS RELEASE 31 March 2010

On Tuesday, 30 March 2010, a disturbingly engineered video purporting to have recorded a “dying hare” at the National Coursing Meeting, February 3, 2010 was released to the Youtube website by the Association of Hunt Saboteurs Ireland. It was also distributed to all TDs as “evidence of the brutality” of hare coursing. The video begins with coursing footage from the National Meeting and ends with its subject matter, the “dying hare”.
The ICC completely and unreservedly condemns and rejects the claims of the video and most strongly denies the authenticity of the subject matter itself.
A second inspection of the video by ICC officials and members as well as IT and veterinary experts exposes it as a deliberately orchestrated effort to discredit the hare welfare policies and practices of the ICC.
Beside it being patently impossible for the “dying hare” portion to have taken place during the National Meeting, in several frames it most disturbingly reveals the hare is restrained by a wire around its neck (and possibly one limb), the wire then extending to the right of the hare, intermittently being pulled. It is also worth noting that the camera often pans to the left but never to the right, the direction from which the wire is coming from. This observation is supported by the fact that the hare’s head never moves from its original position in spite of convulsing and desperate attempts to free itself. The hare is highly likely to have been poisoned or partially sedated for effect.
The location and number of paddock stewards, staff, and 24 hour security personnel during the National Meeting make it virtually impossible for the “dying hare” portion of the video to have taken place at the claimed time, and there are numerous inconsistencies with the video. Differences in the quality of the video between the coursing footage and the “dying hare” footage are obvious, and the PA system background sound from the coursing portion is completely absent from the “dying hare” sequence. In addition, any further claims that this did take place during the National Meeting and the hare was not intentionally restrained are met with the hard fact that it was more important for the person with the camera to “get the shot” than try to relieve the hare’s suffering and seek the help of the on-site veterinarian or paddock stewards.
A break-in to the hare compound was discovered on a day previous to the National Meeting, and was reported to and is on record with the Gardai. The location of the damage to the fencing from the break-in is in immediate proximity to the angle of the camera and the direction from which the wire around the hares neck is being pulled.
Further claims of greyhounds breaking into the hare compound during the National Meeting are completely without basis, and these and other details point to people who will go to any lengths to achieve their aims and have no reservations whatsoever of sacrificing one hare to do so. It is a desperate and deplorable agenda. This is a shocking and disgraceful attempt to discredit the dedicated organising committee of the National Meeting and the ICC from a group of people who allege to oppose animal cruelty. Minister Gormley is notified of our findings, given he was provided this footage to investigate the matter. It is well documented how animal rights activists have “sacrificed” animals in the furtherance of their cause. It is worth noting that the alleged authors of this video are claimed to be Polish and therefore difficult to trace or interview; it is unusual at best that it took two months to “launch” their production on the unsuspecting public. The timing of the controlled release of this video was clearly designed to generate impact at an opportunistic time. These are the actions of treacherous people who will stop at nothing to achieve their agenda and must be exposed to the greater public, our elected representatives and the decent people of Ireland.
Legal counsel is being sought, and the video and all other supporting information will be left with the Gardai today, who have already been so notified of this serious matter of inflicted animal cruelty and trespass. Additional confidential evidence and detail will be provided to the Gardai to assist with their investigation. The targeted TDs and other government officials will also be so informed, and we encourage anyone with additional evidence or observations to contact the ICC immediately.

DJ Histon
CEO
Coursing Club

If you watch the video you can clearly see the wire around the hares neck
Kev Stow
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I have no idea whether the ICC accusations are true, but I can prove at least two lies from the greyhound protection groups on this thread one of which is quoted on the post above.

The name starred was actually mine and the quote says very clearly "******* is paid to work for the charity - whilst many others devote their time and money freely."

However Trudy spins this it is a blatant lie as I am not paid a penny by the charity and actually claim no expenses whatsoever for all the personal time I put into it.

Also today LGT syndicate dog Elgeetee Kenny went off with a syndicate member who, has he is a serving member of the British Army, had to wait until today to take him. If you read back on this thread on page 137 you will see Trudy's comment on this matter which was as follows.

Then of course there was his 'Syndicate' who he managed to recruit from the *****. They bought a greyhound called Elgeetee Kenny who only managed to finish 4 races before he had to retire because of injury. And did any of the syndicate members adopt him? NO! How responsible is that to palm yoir dog off onto someone else - as if there arent enough greyhounds to re-home without a re-homing charity adding to the problem.

Again this is another blatant lie and anyone reading this thread onwards will see no apology for this misleading info so I think it's fair to say that certain people are not always as truthful as they project themselves and people should be very careful believing what is put by them.

Kev
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Shouldn't be banned but should be heavily regulated with every owner having to prove the dog is provided for for life before it's allowed to race. Not sure how to do this though! But if it could be done would be good.

Adam
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Kev Stow View Post
The name starred was actually mine and the quote says very clearly "******* is paid to work for the charity - whilst many others devote their time and money freely."

However Trudy spins this it is a blatant lie as I am not paid a penny by the charity and actually claim no expenses whatsoever for all the personal time I put into it.

Also today LGT syndicate dog Elgeetee Kenny went off with a syndicate member who, has he is a serving member of the British Army, had to wait until today to take him. If you read back on this thread on page 137 you will see Trudy's comment on this matter which was as follows.

Then of course there was his 'Syndicate' who he managed to recruit from the *****. They bought a greyhound called Elgeetee Kenny who only managed to finish 4 races before he had to retire because of injury. And did any of the syndicate members adopt him? NO! How responsible is that to palm yoir dog off onto someone else - as if there arent enough greyhounds to re-home without a re-homing charity adding to the problem.

Again this is another blatant lie and anyone reading this thread onwards will see no apology for this misleading info so I think it's fair to say that certain people are not always as truthful as they project themselves and people should be very careful believing what is put by them.

Kev
Well we only have your word that you do not benefit financially from 'the charity' dont we?

However - can you explain this statement you made recently.

'Lincolnshire Greyhound Trust, of which I am chairman, take dogs in without insisting on a donation'

But

'I personally do have a kennel where I ask for a one off fee of £300 and that shortcuts the charity list'

As I read it - you are personally charging a trainer/owner£300 to fast track the re-homing of a dog through the charity - yes?

If you gain no financial benefit from the charity - why do you re-home your £300 dogs through them without handing over the £300?

As regards LGT Kenny - at the time I posted the dog had NOT been re-homed and my posting was therefore NOT a blatant lie.

The fact that the dog has had to sit in kennels for nearly 7 months before just one of the syndicate members could offer him a sofa - epitomises the attitude of those that exploit these gentle dogs.

Was it really beyond any of syndicate members to offer him a temporary foster home before he could be adopted?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Shouldn't be banned but should be heavily regulated with every owner having to prove the dog is provided for for life before it's allowed to race. Not sure how to do this though! But if it could be done would be good.

Adam
Agreed but it would just not be commercially viable. Only have to look at Kev's situation to acknowledge commercial greyhound racing encourages irresponsible ownership.

Under the Rules of Racing LGT Kenny could have been destroyed - as many are - at any time after his racing days were over and the 'No retirement home could be found' box ticked - no questions asked!
Page 154 of 157 « First < 54 104 144 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 >