View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 04:53 PM

Burns dog food /what is it/why is it good?

What is this Burns Dog Food? Why is it so good for Doggys?
How much a day would i give Toby, he a parson russell.
I notice people dont seem to think much of Pedigree.
What do you think of Bonios and Shapes dog biscuits? Toby likes both of these a lot!
Sorry for all the questions!
we have been advised by vet that he needs to lose a little bit of weight. (i did think this myself) However i think the problem is my dad, he lives with him through the daytime and im sure he gives him loads of rubbish (cakes and sweet stuff etc)
I gave him a good talking to last night and he promised he would stop! If he keeps to this promise how long do you think it would take before we notice a differene in Toby.
Thanks.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 05:17 PM
This is the Burns site if you take a look you will see what the company policy is and what goes into their food. I used to feed Burns but my dogs lost too much weight so I changed back to Arden Grange, but it is good food if it suits your dog. As treats there is IMO nothing wrong with Shapes or Bonios but don't over do it, a JRT is a very small dog and one Bonio or 3 shapes a day is plenty on top of his food and it is the food that will give the quality nutrition.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 07:03 PM
thanks Thordell, i shall take a look.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi Toby if you are feeding a complete food Burns is excellent ...I have fed it for some time and my dog is a slim 15 year old.
Please speak very sternly to your Dad about feeding cake and other human food, it can shorten your dogs life. Being overweight is a big killer in dogs leading to heart disease and other health problems ..cake will rot the teeth so your dog will be unable to eat. If you wish to give treats Burns Kelties and fish bites are great and contain a lot more than shapes and bonios
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 07:23 PM
burns is the best best dry going ever IMO

sadly my fuss dogs wont eat any dry than bloody bakers lol

but go for burns it amazing
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 07:28 PM
thanks everyone
He had indeed been spoken to sternly indeed!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I would recommend Burns to anyone. It was great for my staffy boy Jas, he was starting to looka bit 'podgy' so I was told Burns was a good food. I put Jas on it nad after a week or so he started to look a lot healthier and he had new found enrgy. It suited Jas to perfection and if I get another dog, whatever breed, I'd be using Burns again

As for the Bonio & Shapes dog biscuits, my Jas liked them but I would only use them for training purposes.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Cassie's not a big eater generally but the Burns suits her as does the James Wellbeloved which is similar, we tend to change between the two and fill in the gaps with a kong filled with bread and marmite. She also gets gravy bones etc as treats.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Both of our dogs are on Burns, and it suits them well

I chose it not only because it's a nice simple food with nothing mysterious on the ingredients list but also because of their policies regarding animal testing etc.

I haven't been disappointed so far... although Archie has been looking a bit thin lately so he has been getting a couple of extra biscuits and some rice to fatten him up