Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2015, 10:50 AM

I need indestructible toys!

Hi. We have Tommy a cocker/lab cross who is 7 months old now. He is chewing everything in sight. We have bought so many toys for him, but he destroys them within minutes. The only thing that seems to last are the kong tennis balls. I would like to give him a variety of toys to play with, but I need suggestions on toys that may last more 30 seconds! He is a typical spaniel and loves to carry things in his mouth, so anything he could carry would be great.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 10:59 AM
My dude was like this, even destroyed a red Kong. I just kinda stopped buying him toys. If he was only going to destroy everything, why throw all my money into the trash?

I asked a teller at the pet store what he couldn't destroy and she said firmly that there is no such thing as an indestructible toy. She is right. If the dog is determined, he'll tear up anything you give him.

I switched to cardboard and sticks stripped of bark and other safe but non money wasting items that he could destroy happily until he grew out of his destructive phase. Toys that they struggle to destroy are often boring to them in that phase, so it's pointless to get something really hard to destroy, anyway.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I got my girls these for Christmas http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RGK53SMH9FG0GC so far they have survived, not even a tooth gone through them and they are very very hard on toys, a tennis ball is destroyed when they pick it up almost. I got mine from a big B&M store, the link I've put up is the American Amazon, so don't know if you can get them on the English Amazon or if you can find them in a B&M if you have a large one near you. Here's 2 of the girls with theirs the other day
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2015, 11:34 AM
See if you can find Chomper toys http://chomperbrand.com/

Their Gladiator Tuff collection http://chomperbrand.com/gladiator-tuff.html are especially strong.

Pereg has a few regular Chomper toys and apart from the seams on a couple of her dinosaurs occasionally needing repairing, they have lasted her for about three or four years now.

She also has a couple of Kong Braidz toys and a honking goose which get really well played with, but so far those have not even split one stitch.

She is quite rough with her toys, throwing them about, ragging and "terrier killing" them, but the only toy she destroyed was sold as a puppy toy - and this shows what she thought of it...

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi Susan I find the Orka range of toys pretty indestructible (though nothing can be guaranteed to be so 100%) Chloe hasn't managed to kill hers in 6 years .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Pet..._petsupplies_2

Getting the right size toy for the dog can help, not too small so it is easily torn to pieces.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2015, 01:48 PM
The rosewood toys definitely look like they are worth a try. Will order a couple and see how Tommy goes! We bought the nerf ball in for Tommy the other day and it had to be confiscated he was chewing bits off it and trying to eat them! He is a lovely boy, but he seems to be able to find weak spots on any toy.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Flaming heck!!! Even mine haven't managed to do damage to their Nerf toys as yet. Mind you they only have them when we go out to play on the river and not at any other time, so I am keeping my beady eyes on them when they do have them.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Yes. You have to have eyes in the back of your head with Tommy! If it isn't toys he destroys his other favourite pastime is raiding the laundry room for socks. Got to love him.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Nylabones last great around here and I have some pretty hard chewers too.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Or . . . give him plastic bottles and cardboard boxes (messy) and let him destroy to his heart's content.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >