Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Dog rehoming

I am always amazed about how many people develop allergies or are moving home when their dogs reach about 16 weeks upwards.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2013, 10:15 AM
It can be at any age-10/11 year old GSD was put into rescue, because the hubby was allergic !!! How had he managed in the previous 10/11 years

Why aren't people simply honest-they don't want the dog anymore so want rid rather than lie.

One family handed over a GSD bitch into rescue as they could no longer manage her(the bitch was fit & healthy & a lovely pet)& strangely enough none of the family were upset The rescue smelt a rat & managed to rehome her PDQ. 3 weeks later the family all bronzed & smiling returned for the bitch as they could not live without her-they didn't drive off that day smiling as their bitch was with a family that wouldn't want free boarding whilst they went away on an expensive foreign holiday & risk losing their dog forever
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2013, 10:17 AM
18 months to 2 years seem to be other times people change jobs, move house, develop allergies, get divorced, get married and a zillion other reasons why their faithful but often untrained dog is traded in. I'm sure they're all genuine!!!
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2013, 10:24 AM
It is sad, I often think some of the puppy rehomes are where people suddenly realise what hard work they are, and for how long!
I know so many people who've been genuinely surprised by their cute bundles turning into biting, scratching hooligans and actually thought something was wrong with their pup!

However, there are many genuine reasons, and personally, I would rather a person take the difficult step to rehome their pet than to see a pet stuck in an inadequate home for its whole life.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2013, 10:46 AM
When dogs are re-homed from rescue centres (especially puppies) I would have thought that the staff would go into all the different major phases a puppy will go through etc and recommend puppy training .... well I do hope so. I'm sure most people get puppies with the best intentions of keeping them but lets face it if you haven't done if before ....... it is hard work

I would much rather a dog was left at a rescue centre than being dumped - at least the 'owner' was trying to do good by their pet.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2013, 10:51 AM
2 of mine were acquired that way, one at 13 weeks because the owner couldn't cope with him and one at 20 weeks because he'd developed aggression issues because the other dog in the house wouldn't allow him to breathe. One half of the first couple was devastated and both of the second couple were genuinely upset. Both private rehomes.
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I am sure there are genuine people with real reasons for rehoming but it seems an awful lot of people don't put much thought into when a dog gets past that cute puppy stage and when they then really can be a handful .Hence why I often think excuses in all forms come along.I agree that they are better rehomed but perhaps they shouldn't buy on a whim which so many people seem to do in this throw away age
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm amazed that someone brought in a Chi to work because they didn't have room for her......
Clarey83
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I could rant on this subject all day! lol

People honestly haven't got a clue! Part of the problem is lack of education before people get the dog or puppy. I have a rescue dog, he was about 12months when I got him. I DID NOT want a puppy as I have researched and read how much time and effort is needed to properly care for a pup. Of course a rescue dog of any age could need the same training as a puppy if it has had a bad start, so I chose a stray who was house trained, could sit and give paw and was good with people and dogs. I knew I had the time to look after a dog who was already part trained. He is now nervous of larger dogs after being attacked and we are working on his confidence etc. My OH and I also work so dog would be left for 4 hours in house, you can't do that with a puppy.

I see so many puppies and dogs below 12months old for sale or free to good home on internet, fb, everywhere it drives me mad! It's no wonder they misbehave when some have been passed from pillar to post at young age. I know of one staffie who at 8months didn't even recognise his name as he had had 5 owners who obviously didn't give him the time he needed. He is now a fab dog who does all sorts of tricks and obedience.

I think there also needs to be accountabililty. If you get a pup or dog, they are your responsibility for the life of the animal. If you want to rehome that dog at any time, there should be some kind of record of it(may be we need to bring back dog license), people should be encouraged to keep the dog with the help and guidence to deal with behavioural issues or training, or their situation discussed to see if another solution is possible, eg doggy day care while owner has to work long shifts.

people dispose of their pets all to quickly these days, pets need similar rights as children. They are in adult care and depend on adults guidence and nurturing.

Do not get any pet with out proper consideration for its whole life and what may happen if your circumstances change. Of course there are some circumstances where there really is no other option...although I can't think of one. There are so many dog services out there to help , from dog walkers, pet sitters, you can register your wishes to dogs trust to take care of your dog if you die etc etc. I'm in my twenties and my parents in their forties, we all have our dogs futures planned if we were to die in a tragic accident or something.

Sorry for the novel, I'm gonna stop typing now cuz think I might be getting on my high horse lol
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Although there must be genuine reasons there are obviously people who don't think things though.

I used to walk dogs for the Blue Cross and the oddest reason we had was that the dog poo in the garden was attracting the rats! The dog was a harlequin Great Dane bitch who was on,h six months old. The owner told us that it had cost her £1000 but grew too big and clumsy for the house so she was living in the shed like a kennel but the poo in the shed and garden was a problem. The dog was really shy and spooked by everything because I don't think the even took it out for walks, probably too big and strong for them....but what did they think they were getting?!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >