View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 03:59 PM
<<<If you receive a ticket in a private car park, such as a supermarket car park, or private multi-story car park, remember that it is not criminal law, but contract law that applies. The driver enters into a contract with the landowner when they driver into the car park. >>>>

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
<<<If you receive a ticket in a private car park, such as a supermarket car park, or private multi-story car park, remember that it is not criminal law, but contract law that applies. The driver enters into a contract with the landowner when they driver into the car park. >>>>

rune
I bow to your superior knowledge if that's true ... still not an enforceable fine. I know because I have had one or two run in's with the Manager of our local Waitrose.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Agreed----and the people who take the disabled places want shooting IMO.

Many times I have had to park out front fast, get mum a trolley to lean on and then park miles away because some idiot thinks it is all right to park in them.

Anyone who parks in a designated area and doesn't fit the criteria is being anti social and thoughtless.

rune
Completely agree, along with misuse of disabled badges...

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I disagree - I managed to strap my daughter 25 years ago into our very large Volvo estate car perfectly well without extra wide car spaces. It is all about being respectful of other people's property and taking care.

I'm not being petty, I fail to see why young, or youngish mothers need to have extra wide car parking spaces to manoeuvre their kids in and out of cars. I was an "old" mum with a chronically bad back and dodgy knees, but still managed to do this with not only hubby's car, but my 2 door Ford as well!!
Completely agree with this one to.

Our local CO-OP, has a smallish car park, half the nearest to the door is disabled (rightly so) the other half is allocated to the "mother and child" the rest of the car park is down a slope, so anyone who has not got a disabled badge yet is unsure on foot, has to maneuver their trolleys down the bank to their car, whilst all these able bodied young mums with a young child has privilege parking, its madness, to be honest if you cant get a child out of a car seat in a normal space, then maybe you should not be driving, car spaces are not new, we had them when I had kids in car seats and toddlers, we managed OK to get them out, without having space to open a door to its full capacity.

I would never ever in a million years park in a disabled bay, but M& C, is another matter...........
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Completely agree, along with misuse of disabled badges...

Completely agree with this one to.

Our local CO-OP, has a smallish car park, half the nearest to the door is disabled (rightly so) the other half is allocated to the "mother and child" the rest of the car park is down a slope, so anyone who has not got a disabled badge yet is unsure on foot, has to maneuver their trolleys down the bank to their car, whilst all these able bodied young mums with a young child has privilege parking, its madness, to be honest if you cant get a child out of a car seat in a normal space, then maybe you should not be driving, car spaces are not new, we had them when I had kids in car seats and toddlers, we managed OK to get them out, without having space to open a door to its full capacity.

I would never ever in a million years park in a disabled bay, but M& C, is another matter...........
Succinctly put m'dear. I just cannot understand why anyone should think it fair for young mothers - or youngish -to have their own extra wide spaces. As you say, we managed fine. I was not a spring chicken when I had my daughter, and never once did I ever struggle to get her in and out of the car when parked in a normal space.

Maybe it's because mums are becoming extra wide perchance?
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty indifferent to them - if they're there I'll use them (cos let's face it - a covered space in the pouring rain is nice and they're wide and I'm still crap at parking our new car), if they're filled with works vans and BMWs like usual - so be it - I'll park elsewhere.

But I never take the infant carrier seat out of the car - it's huge, it's heavy and it bruises the living daylights out of my shins (and it's brown and I hate it)... and it's rare I even take a pushchair out with me - so I can manage in a relatively small gap if I have to.

I find the apocalyptic levels of rage some women get into about them utterly amusing though - hubby's under orders to take me to task if I ever start ranting totally randomly at strangers I percieve to have used them incorrectly... someone tried that with me a few weeks ago as I got out of the car - yelling that I didn't have a child with me. I walked around to the other side of the car and proceeded to get the baby out - think I muttered some comment along the lines of "should have gone to specsavers" on that one.

They only started out as a marketing tool and seem to have become enshrined as some fundamental birthright!

What gets me REALLY annoyed while we're ranting is when supermarkets put the P+C spaces nearer the store entrance than the disabled bays!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I'm pretty indifferent to them - if they're there I'll use them (cos let's face it - a covered space in the pouring rain is nice and they're wide and I'm still crap at parking our new car), if they're filled with works vans and BMWs like usual - so be it - I'll park elsewhere.

But I never take the infant carrier seat out of the car - it's huge, it's heavy and it bruises the living daylights out of my shins (and it's brown and I hate it)... and it's rare I even take a pushchair out with me - so I can manage in a relatively small gap if I have to.

I find the apocalyptic levels of rage some women get into about them utterly amusing though - hubby's under orders to take me to task if I ever start ranting totally randomly at strangers I percieve to have used them incorrectly... someone tried that with me a few weeks ago as I got out of the car - yelling that I didn't have a child with me. I walked around to the other side of the car and proceeded to get the baby out - think I muttered some comment along the lines of "should have gone to specsavers" on that one.

They only started out as a marketing tool and seem to have become enshrined as some fundamental birthright!

What gets me REALLY annoyed while we're ranting is when supermarkets put the P+C spaces nearer the store entrance than the disabled bays!
Its plain stupidity, the logic is baffling,

Good post BTW
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I really don't get the purpose of mother and child spaces either. Why do people need special parking spaces purely because they have a child with them?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I love how off topic this had gotten LOL!

I also fail to see the point in the M+C parking and it really bothers me that able bodied often younger people are closer to the store then my poor nan who it seems doesnt derseve a diabled badge. I keep telling her she should park there when we are together as it doesnt say anything about an age limit!!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:39 PM
am i the only person that couldn't care any less about M+C parking?!
Whoopy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
There is danger everywhere, for every living animal on the planet. Danger is part and parcel of being an animal, death and injury is all part of life, it appalls and saddens me that so many parents today want to wrap their children up in cotton wool, whilst at the same time taking absolutely no responsibility for their safety when things go wrong.

My pet hate is those dang Parent & Child parking spaces ... I glean a lot of pleasure from parking in them with my 25 year old daughter
See I find people who abuse the spaces (such as yourself apparently) thoroughly irritating. When I have two babies to get out I need that extra space both sides of the car to be able to lift my children out of their car seats and lift out a pushchair but there you go. Watch where you do it thoug, plenty of car parks fine if these spaces are misused.
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »