View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2011, 01:01 PM
The show ring this, the show ring that, it gets the blame for all things wrong with the canine.

Considering the percentage of show bred dogs to all other, its amazing the amount of blame heaped on their head for all ailments the dog world suffers.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The show ring this, the show ring that, it gets the blame for all things wrong with the canine.

Considering the percentage of show bred dogs to all other, its amazing the amount of blame heaped on their head for all ailments the dog world suffers.
I've nothing against the sport, but my observation stands. Would the bulldogs that look more like their ancestors or other breeds that have changed in looks over the years to the detriment of their health, stand a chance in the showring?

If not, why not??
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I've nothing against the sport, but my observation stands. Would the bulldogs that look more like their ancestors or other breeds that have changed in looks over the years to the detriment of their health, stand a chance in the showring?

If not, why not??
The judge can only judge whats in the ring. The only way to find out is to put it in the ring.

In one of my breeds I have heard people comment and say their dog did not win because it was too fit. They go away and say judges only like over done bodies.

On one occasion the dog did not win because its topline was not the best. on an other because it wasn't balance. But their owners could not see those faults, to them it was because their dogs were too fit.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Mmm, I see what you mean, but, and there's always a but, would the original, healthy form of the breed actually conform to today's standards?

It is a genuine question as I really haven't studied showing as it isn't a hobby that I'm interested in enough to compete
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 03:26 PM
A breed satndard is a guide or a blue print.

Some are more prescriptive than others, the problem is in the interpretation. ie how long is long and how broad is broad.

If you start putting absolutes then there will always be some a bit out but still a good example of the breed.

I really don't understand the obssesion with the breed standards.
Can you tell me what this breed is
A Breed Standard is the guideline which describes the ideal characteristics, temperament and appearance of a breed and ensures that the breed is fit for function. Absolute soundness is essential. Breeders and judges should at all times be careful to avoid obvious conditions or exaggerations which would be detrimental in any way to the health, welfare or soundness of this breed. From time to time certain conditions or exaggerations may be considered to have the potential to affect dogs in some breeds adversely, and judges and breeders are requested to refer to the Breed Watch section of the Kennel Club website here http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...c/breeds/watch for details of any such current issues. If a feature or quality is desirable it should only be present in the right measure.

General Appearance
Smooth-coated, well balanced, of great strength for his size. Muscular, active and agile.

Characteristics
Traditionally of indomitable courage and tenacity. Highly intelligent and affectionate especially with children.

Temperament
Bold, fearless and totally reliable.

Head and Skull
Short, deep though with broad skull. Very pronounced cheek muscles, distinct stop, short foreface, nose black.

Eyes
Dark preferred but may bear some relation to coat colour. Round, of medium size, and set to look straight ahead. Eye rims dark.

Ears
Rose or half pricked, not large or heavy. Full, drop or pricked ears highly undesirable.

Mouth
Lips tight and clean. Jaws strong, teeth large, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck
Muscular, rather short, clean in outline gradually widening towards shoulders.

Forequarters
Legs straight and well boned, set rather wide apart, showing no weakness at the pasterns, from which point feet turn out a little. Shoulders well laid back with no looseness at elbow.

Body
Close-coupled, with level topline, wide front, deep brisket, well sprung ribs; muscular and well defined.

Hindquarters
Well muscled, hocks well let down with stifles well bent. Legs parallel when viewed from behind.

Feet
Well padded, strong and of medium size. Nails black in solid coloured dogs.

Tail
Medium length, low-set, tapering to a point and carried rather low. Should not curl much and may be likened to an old-fashioned pump handle.

Gait/Movement
Free, powerful and agile with economy of effort. Legs moving parallel when viewed from front or rear. Discernible drive from hindlegs.

Coat
Smooth, short and close.

Colour
Red, fawn, white, black or blue, or any one of these colours with white. Any shade of brindle or any shade of brindle with white. Black and tan or liver colour highly undesirable.

Size
Desirable height at withers 36-41 cms (14 to 16 ins), these heights being related to the weights. Weight: dogs: 13-17 kgs (28-38 lbs); bitches 11-15.4 kgs.

Faults
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog and on the dog’s ability to perform its traditional work.

Note
Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I have to agree that *some* judges do reward dogs that have features that are exagerated, and fitness should be rewarded where it has a purpose instead of *condition*. Having been told openly at a show by someone of great influence in my own chosen breed, that Labradors need to carry extra weight to get anywhere at champ show and above, I can't see how some people dispute that there are some dogs that are not fit in the show ring.

I think there's a couple of issues there, in that showing has become completely separated from the working aspect, and understanding how that takes place. I'm glad to say with Labs, it seems to be that the rift is going the opposite way, in that there's more understanding between both sides, and a lot of people aiming more for the middle ground, dogs that look good and do what it says on the tin. However, I think it would be many years and I'll possibly never live to see the day, where there will be a dual champion that is truly competitive at field trials and also in the show ring.

I also know of a dog where one stone was added to get them in *show condition* after working out on a shoot, it definitely happens, and it is rewarded by some judges unfortunately.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 04:08 PM
I have joined in endless debates about Staffords and would you either put weight or drop weight for a certain judge.

Despite some judges judging at a high level they don't all show the same level of compitence and in my opinion this is were the most improvements will be made in the health and well being of any breed. Not in messing around with words that can mean different things to different people.

Educate the judges and give clear guidence to them to enable with holding if the dog does not appear to be healthy.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I have joined in endless debates about Staffords and would you either put weight or drop weight for a certain judge.

Despite some judges judging at a high level they don't all show the same level of compitence and in my opinion this is were the most improvements will be made in the health and well being of any breed. Not in messing around with words that can mean different things to different people.

Educate the judges and give clear guidence to them to enable with holding if the dog does not appear to be healthy.
Completely agree. Fashion should never dictate how a dog looks, ability to function healthily and properly, looking like the breed they are should be the priority.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 04:14 PM
The one very valuable thing that campaigns such as the one proposed by the RSPCA and the very one-sided and IMHO biased opinion of the Pedigree Dogs Exposed programme do, is get people talking/complaining and it appears (to someone who isn't into the whole show scene) to be the only thing that gets the KC moving onwards and upwards in respect of encouraging breeding for health and temperament as well as looks.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
The one very valuable thing that campaigns such as the one proposed by the RSPCA and the very one-sided and IMHO biased opinion of the Pedigree Dogs Exposed programme do, is get people talking/complaining and it appears (to someone who isn't into the whole show scene) to be the only thing that gets the KC moving onwards and upwards in respect of encouraging breeding for health and temperament as well as looks.
That simply shows a lack of understanding of what the KC does health wise for dogs.

Have a look and find out the facts before you judge.

All they do is a bit more PR to let people know whats going on and has been going on for long before the PDE program.
Page 6 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »