Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I'll just add----I met a flattie the other day with three legs due to cancer----it is rife in the breed. The scottie was an ex breeding bitch who had had 2 ceasers due to puppy head size. Daxies with back issues because backs are too long. Our vet is the eye vet for the area and shar peis are always coming in----then you get the skin problems. Pugs-----so bad.Bulldogs and pekes we all know about.

The doodles might well be as bad, as might mongrols but I feel those who should know better ought to lead the way rather than throwing stones at the breeders whpo seem to be breeding dogs which can at least give birth on their own and can see properly and can run----albeit too fast for most of their owners!

It comes under two wrongs don't make a right IMO.

rune
I agree with this-there are a few pedigree breeds I would run a mile from! One of them being Pugs as whenever we went to Newmarket for Cherry's eye check-ups (cataract operations-old age) there was usually at least one Pug in the waiting roomif not more. I mentioned this to the vet and he said they were a vet's pension provider!
It is such a shame as they are lovely little dogs.

We also considered a Shar-Pei but were put off by all the health problems that the breed suffers from.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Regarding all these posts, I wonder where I fit in?

I have two dogs.

A 10 year old (11 in Feb) rescue mongrel who is very, very healthy. Probably from non-heath tested animals. No health problems at all (touch wood). We've had her 5.5 years, since she was 5 years old.

And an 8.5 year old Westie, from non-health tested animals, non-KC registered, puppy farm (I know....there is a story behind it, not that it makes it right and I fully know what I did was wrong, BUT I don't regret Molly for a second).

Molly is in extremely good health with no problems either. In fact, she was at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a couple of minor tests which all turned out to be clear (there is a thread on this).

The vet, a lady vet who I don't often see, was raving about how fantastically fit and healthy she was, excellent muscle tone, beautiful coat and skin etc.

So, it seems I've won the nature v nurture thing with Molly. I know I am lucky and not all end up as Molly has done.

Having said that, I will never go to a puppy farm again and I'm completely aware of all the problems with them and try my best to encourage people NOT to buy from puppy farms. Some of you may think that is hypocrital and it may well be, but it is a mistake I will never make again, believe me and if I can deter people from buying from puppy farms, I obviously will. Yes, I do feel guilty about it. And I am so pleased Molly has turned out the way she has done. I wouldn't change her for the world.

Also, health tested parents don't automatically assume that all puppies will be healthy either. I, like many of you, know dogs who have come from health tested parents who have things such as cataracts, HD, glaucoma at fairly young ages and other health problems, including epilepsy and cancers.

I also know people with crossbreeds from non-health tested animals who are very fit and healthy. Same as I know some crossbreeds who have health problems. Same goes with pedigree breeds, too.

However, with this new scheme by the RSPCA, I hope they would be targetting the likes of Pekes with faces which I believe are far too flat, Bassett Hounds, Neopolitan Mastiffs etc, with far too much loose skin, GSD's with backs so sloped they look crippled (to me).....all my opinion, but that is the kind of thing I hope they will be looking at with this scheme.

Same as I hope they will be educating on the public on where NOT to buy puppies and what to look for when buying puppies - both pedigree breeds AND crossbreeds.

The next time I am looking for a pedigree puppy, I will look in to reputable breeders who health test etc and hope for the best, as it's not a guarantee but still should always be done.

I do like mongrels though but they will always be rescues and, again, I will hope for the best regarding their health (as I will with all my dogs). That's not to say that I would not look in to rescue pedigrees either!

Who knows what I will end up with next!

I hope the above is clear, but I am prepared for criticism regarding Molly etc, so feel free if you feel the need. I KNOW what I did was wrong.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Regarding all these posts, I wonder where I fit in?

I have two dogs.

A 10 year old (11 in Feb) rescue mongrel who is very, very healthy. Probably from non-heath tested animals. No health problems at all (touch wood). We've had her 5.5 years, since she was 5 years old.

And an 8.5 year old Westie, from non-health tested animals, non-KC registered, puppy farm (I know....there is a story behind it, not that it makes it right and I fully know what I did was wrong, BUT I don't regret Molly for a second).

Molly is in extremely good health with no problems either. In fact, she was at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a couple of minor tests which all turned out to be clear (there is a thread on this).

The vet, a lady vet who I don't often see, was raving about how fantastically fit and healthy she was, excellent muscle tone, beautiful coat and skin etc.

So, it seems I've won the nature v nurture thing with Molly. I know I am lucky and not all end up as Molly has done.

Having said that, I will never go to a puppy farm again and I'm completely aware of all the problems with them and try my best to encourage people NOT to buy from puppy farms. Some of you may think that is hypocrital and it may well be, but it is a mistake I will never make again, believe me and if I can deter people from buying from puppy farms, I obviously will. Yes, I do feel guilty about it. And I am so pleased Molly has turned out the way she has done. I wouldn't change her for the world.

Also, health tested parents don't automatically assume that all puppies will be healthy either. I, like many of you, know dogs who have come from health tested parents who have things such as cataracts, HD, glaucoma at fairly young ages and other health problems, including epilepsy and cancers.

I also know people with crossbreeds from non-health tested animals who are very fit and healthy. Same as I know some crossbreeds who have health problems. Same goes with pedigree breeds, too.

However, with this new scheme by the RSPCA, I hope they would be targetting the likes of Pekes with faces which I believe are far too flat, Bassett Hounds, Neopolitan Mastiffs etc, with far too much loose skin, GSD's with backs so sloped they look crippled (to me).....all my opinion, but that is the kind of thing I hope they will be looking at with this scheme.

Same as I hope they will be educating on the public on where NOT to buy puppies and what to look for when buying puppies - both pedigree breeds AND crossbreeds.

The next time I am looking for a pedigree puppy, I will look in to reputable breeders who health test etc and hope for the best, as it's not a guarantee but still should always be done.

I do like mongrels though but they will always be rescues and, again, I will hope for the best regarding their health (as I will with all my dogs). That's not to say that I would not look in to rescue pedigrees either!

Who knows what I will end up with next!

I hope the above is clear, but I am prepared for criticism regarding Molly etc, so feel free if you feel the need. I KNOW what I did was wrong.
Now thats what I call a well balanced post. You will get no criticism from me - you have learnt, you know the difference.

However, you also know that pedigrees can be unhealthy, mutts can be unhealthy, mutts can be very healthy and pedigrees can be healthy.

You dont tar all with the same brush! Which is what I was trying to say, just because some have only had unhealthy muts dont mean they all are!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Now thats what I call a well balanced post. You will get no criticism from me - you have learnt, you know the difference.

However, you also know that pedigrees can be unhealthy, mutts can be unhealthy, mutts can be very healthy and pedigrees can be healthy.

You dont tar all with the same brush! Which is what I was trying to say, just because some have only had unhealthy muts dont mean they all are!
Unless you are the RSPCA.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:40 PM
It also behooves people to remember that there are some health issues that CANNOT be tested for eg epilepsy.

Also many DNA tests nowadays test NOT just the dog being tested (as for example Hip Scoring) but whether or not the dog is a carrier or clear for it so more informed breeding decisions can be taken.

Nothing in life is risk free, but we can try to minimise the risks.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 07:44 PM
I'll just add----I met a flattie the other day with three legs due to cancer----it is rife in the breed. The scottie was an ex breeding bitch who had had 2 ceasers due to puppy head size. Daxies with back issues because backs are too long. Our vet is the eye vet for the area and shar peis are always coming in----then you get the skin problems. Pugs-----so bad.Bulldogs and pekes we all know about.

The doodles might well be as bad, as might mongrols but I feel those who should know better ought to lead the way rather than throwing stones at the breeders whpo seem to be breeding dogs which can at least give birth on their own and can see properly and can run----albeit too fast for most of their owners!

It comes under two wrongs don't make a right IMO.

rune
To be fair - and knowing quite a few shar-pei show people, including a good friend who used to breed and show and I have seen quite a few litters of hers born and grown to adulthood - there are many good breeders who have put a lot of work into improving the health, temperament, longevity and conformation of the breed. I wonder how many of those shar-pei at your vets are from those kind of breeders? I'm not saying all the shar-pei show breeders are wonderful as you get bad apples in every walk of life. But the RSPCA seems to insist that those responsible breeders with moderate dogs with much research done before a litter is bred are the shar-pei breeders you should be avoiding. If a show breeder has a litter to keep a show prospect and sell the others as pets, even if they are show quality themselves or the fault that precludes them from the showring is as trivial as the coat being the wrong length or colour, the RSPCA has just made these people out to be the worst people to buy puppies off.

I'm not saying all breeds are getting a raw deal as if a dog can't give birth naturally or struggles to breathe, there is something seriously wrong. But I strongly object to the wording of this RSPCA campaign.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think their aim is probably to educate the public. There's no denying that some breeds are now so unhealthy that it's going to take a long time, if ever to be able to bring them back to a reasonable state.
yes that is true but the way they say it the public will only see that all pedigrees are unhealthy and go to the back yard breeders or rescues to get their puppies.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 08:27 PM
.................................................. We will never know and speculation is useless really but never again will I get a show bred pedigree dog.

rune

Because ??? they are all sick unhealthy ? My "KC"bred BCs are fit & well & no Genetic conditions, Jessie does have HD, however the fact that she was crated for 15 months being fed food that costs £5 per 15kgs does have some bearing on her HD & her brother & sister have under the BMS hip scores. I would never have known she has HD if I hadn't had her scored
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Because ??? they are all sick unhealthy ? My "KC"bred BCs are fit & well & no Genetic conditions, Jessie does have HD, however the fact that she was crated for 15 months being fed food that costs £5 per 15kgs does have some bearing on her HD & her brother & sister have under the BMS hip scores. I would never have known she has HD if I hadn't had her scored
But you still say all cross breeds mongrels whatever are unhealthy which is clearly untrue - just from your experience; Basically at the end of the day not all pedigree dogs are healthy and not all mutts are unhealty and all the tests you can do cannot guarantee anything. Certaintly not temperament
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Comes under the catagory of once bitten-----out of over 20 dogs (just counted up!) ---and all bar two back street bred mongrel types ---that I have owned, he takes the honours in SO many ways----not least health!

rune
Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »