View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Having visited Crufts for the first time last year , I saw many breeds I had never seen in the flesh before and did wonder if the breeding was the healthiest thing for the breed as it all seemed about look , I know they were in 'show' mode and all washed and polished to look their best but surely health is the most important thing and some of them did look like they would struggle out of the show ring to have a 'normal' life , but I am a novice to this so only my opinion
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The last mongrel I owned had HD, was deaf, has incredibly nervous(fear biter) & had genetic eye defects. She wasn't a crossbreed she was an out & out mongrel.

On the other hand I know my pedigree dogs are healthy as they are all fully health tested-unlike my mongrels
But that doesn't mean that all cross-breeds or mongrols are unhealthy either!

You are almost doing the same thing as the RSPCA are reportedly as saying.

One of my pedigrees was very nervous - doesnt mean she was bred badly just treated badly.

I thought no breeder actualy guaranteed their pups would never have any health problems.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 03:11 PM
This makes me cross because the RSPCA should be educating the public not spreading lies.

here they have a chance to saying something that will have great meaning and now they have just spoken a load of tosh that makes no sense to anyone who has half a brain about dogs.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am confused,if the labradors are not KC registered, how do you know how many are bred?

The number of labs KC registered every year has been between 40 - 45k annually.

Are you seriously suggesting that unregistered ones equal this number???
Yes I am, the information comes from Labrador rescue & is based on unregsitered litters advertised. Nearly all the Labs that go through rescue are not registered BTW

The same goes for GSDs The older of the 2 GSD rescues I'm involved with has only had a handful of registered GSDs through their kennels/system in over 40 years & of those most have been offered a home by the breeder when contacted
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 03:13 PM
So your health tested BC has HD, ED, PRA, CEA, TNS, CL & Glaucoma ???
Nope----but then it proves you can't legislate or test for everything doesn't it?

He does have rheumatoid arthritis and had cancer (I hope 'had' is appropriate!)---as well as other things too numerous to mention!

I had his brothers brain tested for CL after he was pts. At the time he was bred there was no test. He was clear so maybe his behaviour was down to enviroment---maybe it was down to the same type of cancer Celt had but in his brain. We will never know and speculation is useless really but never again will I get a show bred pedigree dog.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But that doesn't mean that all cross-breeds or mongrols are unhealthy either!

You are almost doing the same thing as the RSPCA are reportedly as saying.

One of my pedigrees was very nervous - doesnt mean she was bred badly just treated badly.

I thought no breeder actualy guaranteed their pups would never have any health problems.
All the other mongrels I have owned have also been unhealthy-mainly epilepsy & temperament. I can guarentee my dogs(not their puppies)are healthy because they have been health tested & free from the main genetic conditions that affect the breed because they do not have the marker gene for the conditions & this means that their offspring cannot have the genetic conditions.

Some conditions like ED & HD are also affected by the dogs environs & feeding
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I'll just add----I met a flattie the other day with three legs due to cancer----it is rife in the breed. The scottie was an ex breeding bitch who had had 2 ceasers due to puppy head size. Daxies with back issues because backs are too long. Our vet is the eye vet for the area and shar peis are always coming in----then you get the skin problems. Pugs-----so bad.Bulldogs and pekes we all know about.

The doodles might well be as bad, as might mongrols but I feel those who should know better ought to lead the way rather than throwing stones at the breeders whpo seem to be breeding dogs which can at least give birth on their own and can see properly and can run----albeit too fast for most of their owners!

It comes under two wrongs don't make a right IMO.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 03:20 PM
All the other mongrels I have owned have also been unhealthy-mainly epilepsy & temperament. I can guarentee my dogs(not their puppies)are healthy because they have been health tested & free from the main genetic conditions that affect the breed because they do not have the marker gene for the conditions & this means that their offspring cannot have the genetic conditions.

Some conditions like ED & HD are also affected by the dogs environs & feeding
You can't guarantee your dogs are healthy----which you just pointed out to me! You can only say they have not got certain genetic conditions.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
This makes me cross because the RSPCA should be educating the public not spreading lies.

here they have a chance to saying something that will have great meaning and now they have just spoken a load of tosh that makes no sense to anyone who has half a brain about dogs.
I think their aim is probably to educate the public. There's no denying that some breeds are now so unhealthy that it's going to take a long time, if ever to be able to bring them back to a reasonable state.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Personally, I have never had a healthy pedigree with the possible exception of my GSP - and I have never had an unhealthy crossbreed
Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »