Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I think I do agree Rune. I take what I consider to be the very pragmatic view that if the dog is eating, drinking, eliminating OK and generally showing interest in life, then that's fine by me. When they stop eating is, for me, pretty much the sign that I need to start thinking that they are suffering and I may need to make a hard decision. We all know our dogs, we know when they have had enough, and as far as I am concerned, if they only want or can only manage a potter round the garden, that is not a good reason to be considering euthanasia.
I met a lady with a Newfie on the heath 2 days ago. Gorgeous dog and she said she had another 2 at home the same age as Parker (10) but all they wanted to do was potter about in the garden and she didn't take them out for walks anymore. Parker had about 2 hours exercise that day including fast zoomies with Izzy, plus trick training and playing with toys. However, 10 years old is a good age for a newfie when my manager at work had hers put to sleep at 6 and a half.

On the other hand I saw a 15 year old Staffie being walked the other night and it was upseting watching it as it had very bad movement (arthritis?) and the owner had it off-lead and was walking ahead of it and I personally would consider having a dog put to sleep with difficulty walking like this.

It is just one of my bugbears-people who walk elderly dogs and don't walk with them but "half a mile" ahead.
Page 28 of 28 « First < 18 25 26 27 28