Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2011, 11:42 PM
An RSPCA campaign is highlighting problems faced by some pedigree dog breeds

It says 'some' so presumably not all----but that won't help as people don't read things properly.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2011, 11:53 PM
My Terrier Cross was the most unhealthy dog I've ever had, of the pedigrees so far I've had an ESS with congenital cataracts (not hereditary). Not bad considering we've had 1 crossbreed and 5 pedigrees.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 06:24 AM
I'd like to see what the actual campaign is going to be about rather than what the 'news' tells us.

Bad reporting can often make things appear quite different to what they actually are
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I'd like to see what the actual campaign is going to be about rather than what the 'news' tells us.

Bad reporting can often make things appear quite different to what they actually are
http://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/...n/borntosuffer

Sadly, I can't find a copy of the advert, but from the link, I particularly find this paragraph offensive propaganda that's just going to lead to the RSPCA achieving their political aim of killing the show scene and wiping out the very breeders they should be supporting, but ending up with the dogs bred being in a worse position.

"But it's not just show dogs that may be suffering. Many pedigree dogs never appear in shows, but many are bred by breeders who want to produce show-winning animals, and who sell their surplus dogs as pets."

No mention of people backyard breeding and puppy farms. I suppose they are going for the easy target. My my - they must have totally solved the "What is being called the biggest rescue ever..." then. Good luck and don't come crying to us when in 5 years time all you have in rescue are poos, doodles and other designer mutts.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2011, 11:37 AM
erm ..am I missing something here - the RSPCA want us to
Quote:
" Sign our petition which calls for breed standards* to be changed so that they prioritise the health, welfare and temperament of a dog over its looks and help put an end to the avoidable suffering of dogs."
when many KC breed standards have already been reviewed and amended and ALL begin with these words :

A Breed Standard is the guideline which describes the ideal characteristics, temperament and appearance of a breed and ensures that the breed is fit for function. Absolute soundness is essential. Breeders and judges should at all times be careful to avoid obvious conditions or exaggerations which would be detrimental in any way to the health, welfare or soundness of this breed. From time to time certain conditions or exaggerations may be considered to have the potential to affect dogs in some breeds adversely, and judges and breeders are requested to refer to the Kennel Club website for details of any such current issues. If a feature or quality is desirable it should only be present in the right measure

so what exactly would this petition achieve that is not already in place ?

and that priceless opening sentence !!

"
Quote:
The way that dogs are bred today, in order to win shows, is having a huge impact on their health and welfare.
Pardon ? ....no shades of grey there then - no use of the word 'some' or a few' or 'a small number' - nope thats ALL pedigree dogs folks -well I guess it certainly makes the message nice and simple for the general public to understand i.e Pedigree dog breeders = bad

and I'm just lost for words at this statement

Quote:
But it's not just show dogs that may be suffering. Many pedigree dogs never appear in shows, but many are bred by breeders who want to produce show-winning animals, and who sell their surplus dogs as pets.
Even the most cursory bit of investigation would prove the lie to this ! - just 2% of all dogs are bred by show exhibitors - how could their 'surplus' have any meaningful impact on the pet dog market - the truth is that most pet dogs in the most popular breeds are bred by BYB's and puppy farmers who would'nt know a breed standard ( revised or otherwise) if it jumped up and bit them on the bum let alone bother with breeding for health first and foremost

But hey well done the RSPCA for ensuring that the public continue to support the kind of hell holes that are the real source of most pet puppies and for boosting the trade in all those mass produced 'Poo' crosses - nice one !!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
My fully health tested BC is the unhealthiest dog I have ever owned!

rune
So your health tested BC has HD, ED, PRA, CEA, TNS, CL & Glaucoma ???
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 12:16 PM
"But it's not just show dogs that may be suffering. Many pedigree dogs never appear in shows, but many are bred by breeders who want to produce show-winning animals, and who sell their surplus dogs as pets."

Hm so all the unregistered Labradors bred each year(around 45,000)don't have any impact on the staus of the breed ?? They now out number the KC registered Labs bred each year !
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Hm so all the unregistered Labradors bred each year(around 45,000)don't have any impact on the staus of the breed ?? They now out number the KC registered Labs bred each year !

I am confused,if the labradors are not KC registered, how do you know how many are bred?

The number of labs KC registered every year has been between 40 - 45k annually.

Are you seriously suggesting that unregistered ones equal this number???
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Wouldn`t it be nice if these organisations stopped playing politics and instead spent their millions on educating the General Public?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
http://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/...n/borntosuffer

Sadly, I can't find a copy of the advert, but from the link, I particularly find this paragraph offensive propaganda that's just going to lead to the RSPCA achieving their political aim of killing the show scene and wiping out the very breeders they should be supporting, but ending up with the dogs bred being in a worse position.

No mention of people backyard breeding and puppy farms. I suppose they are going for the easy target. My my - they must have totally solved the "What is being called the biggest rescue ever..." then. Good luck and don't come crying to us when in 5 years time all you have in rescue are poos, doodles and other designer mutts.
Thank you for the link.

It's a pity that the opening paragraph is worded as it is because I doubt anyone would disagree with this:

"According to scientific studies some of the UK's favourite breeds of dogs have been bred to such extremes that they can no longer breathe or walk normally. For example, dogs with short, flat faces often have narrow nostrils and abnormally developed windpipes. They can often suffer severe breathing difficulties and may have difficulty enjoying a walk or playing. Dogs with folded or wrinkled skin are prone to itchy and painful skin complaints, and dogs with bulging or sunken eyes are prone to injury, pain or discomfort".

The extremes do appear to have come about due to showing so I can well see why this Welfare Organisation would be concerned.

Although the KC have made a start on altering standards, there is still so much left to be done.

One good thing that may come out of the campaign is to stop the whole issue going off the boil so that the small beginnings made in the area of breed standards continues to be improved to the betterment of health and temperament
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »