View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2005, 03:00 AM
First of all please let me extend to all in the UK my sincerest sympathy and prayers for the victims of 7/7/05 bombings.

When we experienced the events of 9/11/2001 personally I was stunned for days! It was surreal. No planes flew in the sky......Turn on the TV, ANY channel at all, and there was coverage of the endless convoy of truck after truck after truck going to the WTC to pick up debris and their return trip full of carnage.

Convoys of firefighters, police, paramedics and volunteers going to the site to ~~maybe~~ hope against hope to find someone, any one, as a survivor. Their return trip after 12 hours of unspeakable toil......greeted with streets lined with people with signs of support and clapping in appreciation and sincere love of their efforts under the most difficult of circumstances.

No ads on the TV. No regular programs. Just coverage of the grim reality that became life here in the USA.

Airplanes began to fly again. Slowly, slowly mindless television returned ever so gingerly. I watched cartoons for three hours to try to erase the reality that had occured. Now, even so many years later, I see a plane in the sky and think to myself:

How could someone ever think to use a plane as a weapon and slam it into buildings to kill people who have NEVER done anything to these evil doers?!?!

But I too am not afraid. To be afraid would be a victory, although a small one, for those who would do harm to us. WE, as do you in the UK, persivere and continue life as best we can. Mindful that "something" might happen but then again it may not.

I don't know if there is a solution to the craziness of the world. Perhaps not. All any one can do is to do their best and go on.

Kindest regards to all.

C3D
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Living up here in the North East of Scotland I am not afraid of it happening up here...But with my daughter & Hubby living and working in the centre of London, and all my family living in Fareham, which is close to Portsmouth I do worry for them..
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Well living in Coventry, where scares are happening frequently now, and being right next to Birmingham we can't afford to be scared, i know last week were coming through 'Cross Cheeping' and there was another scare, luckily it was jsut a backpack with study supplies in that someone had accidently left on in the bus shelter, but it could have been worse..
It is one of those things that we have to live with, what ever happens, will happen and us all staying in our house's isn't going to stop it, is it?
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2005, 02:27 PM
My 18 year old son has just landed a job in London, he'll be working in Wembley and on the Olympic village which is already starting. I was so pleased that he got this job as the money is brilliant (far too much for an 18 year old in my eyes) but I will be worried sick about him. I've given him a list of do's and don'ts and strict orders to have his phone on him at all times.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, I'm afraid. And I am angry with myself for feeling like this.

I was not afraid after 7/7 - I even planned a family holiday to visit the the sights of London in August with my young daughter. Then, after 21/7 - my opinion changed - and I can't really explain why

All I know is that I won't cancel my "news headline text alerts" until my OH gets back from the training course he is on this week - staying and training in the very heart of London (St James Square). I even asked him not to go; which is totally out of character as anyone who knows me will tell you

I will be avoiding possible targets for a few weeks - with all the focus on London and the tube system, I suspect the terrorists may change their target to a less well protected one
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT
well i scared to get on a sub way in london, cause they dont have anyone checking people getting on there! same as i wouldnt travel on a bus in israel would i hell get on a subway in london!

Im lucky to live in somerset (god i cant believe those words came out of my mouth lol)

Im a bit scared then really!

Have you heard of illminster Hayley (not sure that's spelt right :smt017 ) think that is in Somerset isn't it or near Somerset, well my O/H's sister and brother-in-law live there
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Yes I must admit I'm scared Laura, my daughter goes to Florida with her dad and his family in a few weeks time and I am terrified of anything happening at the airport or on the plane or in Florida itself. I don't know how I am going to survive those two weeks because I have convinced myself that something awful will happen and I shouldn't let her go and if I do let her go its my fault if something should happen for letting her go in the first place. I don't really want her to go but her dad has taken the decision to take her and there is nothing I can do I want her to have a really good time and just want her back safe and sound. O/H is going to have a week off work the first week she is away so that we can have a few days out to try to take my mind off it just hope it works
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Have you heard of illminster Hayley (not sure that's spelt right :smt017 ) think that is in Somerset isn't it or near Somerset, well my O/H's sister and brother-in-law live there
Hey Foxy
I went to school in Ilminster!

How off topic is that?.................and don't be afraid, don't let the b******s win.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I have to try not to think about it cos I get the tube to uni every day and i get a bus to the heath every day to walk Archie

I think for me it's easier because I went away just after 7/7, and didn't get news for a long time while I was there, so the impact of all that happened while I was gone has not really registered.

I love living in London and wouldn't change it for the world right now, but I think in any big city life tends to be a bit more risky than living in the country.

As Jeannette says you can't spend your life being scared, and, to be honest, life goes on and I don't really think about it that much.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Having lived & worked in Israel no I am not afraid & I pity these poor misguided people who believe by their actions they will reap rewards from god

I believe greatly in fate & my OH who works for the Israeli government has had more than his share of near misses

The people controlling the bombers almost brainwash them & then try to use the fear of death to influence the non muslim world to gain control of the situation. They will never succeed in the Uk because of the diversity of the population & past experiences
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >