Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It does seem overkill, especially as the cat is actually ok now, and sadly dogs will chase cats as we all know. I suspect the issue is more of "owner not controlling potentially problem dog" than anything else, but we can't know for sure, I guess.

Sad situation.

Wys
x
Wys I truly think that that is the case especially as a lot of measures in place were put forward at the appeal. Yes I expect it could and maybe should be argued that those measures should and could have been in place before this tragic event but I for one will not be walking Ben on lead wearing a muzzle in case he chases and catches a cat. But if I am honest yes he has the potential to do just that I rely on my training and recall but who knows if that will always be the 100% it is at the moment

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Obviously fuller accounts from friends on either side might be biased but it does seem that the relevant bit is that this owner had been in trouble before and did not do enough to ensure that her dog could not get out again.

If she lived where I live in Cyprus where dogs can be put down for any old reason (sometimes the same day) she would have taken EVERY precaution after getting a first warning. Even for the most innocuous dog you are supposed to put a 'Beware of the Dog' notice outside your house too. And pay to register them with the local Municipality (even tho they are microchipped etc) and state on the registration form what training or trainer you used!

I suppose what I am saying is this - if you fear the consequences of falling foul of the 'dog laws' whatever they are enough - you will make absolutely sure you comply with them.

I doubt this lady could have envisaged that her dog would be PTS for attacking a cat (I am very surprised the cat was not killed) if she was aware of that I am sure she would have redoubled her efforts. You cannot rely on other people to close your gate to keep the dog in - it could be left open by all sorts of people, not just visitors.

If all that was in place to stop the dog getting out onto the streets was a garden gate that could be opened or left open by anyone - to me that doesn't seem enough. I wouldn't rely on that even if just to stop a placid and friendly dog getting out just in case it was stolen or run over.

Sad story really for all concerned. I agree the facts are not probably all covered - how did it get to court in the first place if the cat owner was not 'blaming' the dog owner?
I do not know how it came to get to court but I will find out. I expect and this is just me reading between the lines that the cats owners blamed Cjays owner for the attack (not Cjay but cjays owners) and cjays owners were annoyed at this as the cat was in their garden on a daily basis now that to me is not an excuse to think it is acceptable for your dog to attack a cat but I expect it started as a heated argument possibly surrounding payment of vets fees (this is just my assumption and not fact) and one word borrowed another cjays owner not thinking for 1 minute a destruction order would be placed for this behaviour and the cats owner also not thinking this would be the outcome (the cats owner has publicly stated they did not want cjay destroyed) The original court hearing was to hopefully enforce cjay to be muzzled when not in the house to prevent the cat being attacked in the future. the judge ruled PTS and that was that. Then Ckjays owners went to appeal at that stage the cats owner was not involved it was simply Cjays owners v judicial system
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It does seem overkill, especially as the cat is actually ok now, and sadly dogs will chase cats as we all know.
Wys
x
Hmmm so using that logic, any child, baby or person that is bitten by a dog who fully recovers should mean that a dog should not be PTS?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am not sure what world you live in, but I welcome seeing your training programme designed to prevent dogs chasing and attacking cats, as I am sure all owners, trainers and behaviourists would.
I certainly would! Mine knows the difference between live animals and a toy and a toy just doesn't cut it, he wants the real thing.

If a cat came into my garden I do not fancy its chances of getting out again, fortunately (for the cat and me) this has yet to happen.
It's happened to us and resulted in a VERY lucky escape for the cat . Rupert ran into me and knocked me over which slowed him enough that the cat got over the fence a split second before he reached the fence. She never sauntered through our garden again. In Ireland I used to check the garden before letting him out but if a cat had come in and he'd killed it then I wouldn't consider myself to be at fault.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I wonder if it is about vet fees. Lily (Jack Russell) got into a scrap with a friends cat a few weeks ago. He got her by her face and she grabbed his lower jaw. Although she had lots of puncture wounds and welts caused by him kicking her, her one hold on him caused a wound that needed a stitch. Her vet bill was £45, his was £400. Fortunately both animals are insured so no problems about money.

Cats have such thin skin that even the smallest wound can tear and become much more.

Virtually any dog is capable of killing a cat in a very short space of time. I know both vets in my case said that Lily didn't 'attack' the cat as his injuries were so slight. (Despite the huge bill ) It seems the fact the cat got away from the Staffie shows some restraint on the dogs part.

I can't see the logic here, to order the dog is returned to rescue or properly controlled would surely be the right course of action.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
There is a petition for saving Cjay
http://savecj2011.epetitions.net/
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Like I said in another post no one cares about cats they just care about dogs and even thats questionable.

Im currently trying to discourage my dog from chasing cats its hard but I hope she will learn.

Its just irrasponsible of the staff owner to let their dog chase the cat which they obviously did or else their would not be an order to have the animal destroyed.

Most people who keep staffies dont understand their needs or a dogs need in general hence why so many people and pets get attackedd -.-
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Like I said in another post no one cares about cats they just care about dogs and even thats questionable.

Im currently trying to discourage my dog from chasing cats its hard but I hope she will learn.

Its just irrasponsible of the staff owner to let their dog chase the cat which they obviously did or else their would not be an order to have the animal destroyed.

Most people who keep staffies dont understand their needs or a dogs need in general hence why so many people and pets get attackedd -.-
That is a sweeping statement! I would say it is the opposite. Most of us are responsible and that is why so many Staffies are not in the news. As I said before, my dog had a fight with a cat and these 2 had met before. It was a situation no one could have expected and so avoided. I have 4 cats and my dogs live happily alongside them. I'm not sure why you think no one cares about cats.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Pippam I realise you are very young but posts like this are totally unecessary at best and untrue at worst.

How would you feel if someone posted:

Most people who keep cockers dont understand their needs or a dogs need in general hence why so many people and pets get attackedd ?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Woaw gee

I have had my staff x for 8 years he lives with a cat which incidentally I love very much and I take offence that you suggest otherwise. My staff is fantastic with her but he will and has chased other cats. Yes I have worked very hard at training him not to but it is hard wired into most dogs, yes some can be very succesfully trained not to chase cats but not all and that is not particular to Staffs it is many other breeds too.

Yes ok the owner LET her staffy chase the cat i would say that the owner failed to prevent this attack by not being vigilant enough. yes this was a failing and yes this was a mistake resulting in the ultimate price. I can not say i have never made mistakes with Ben I have I am not proud of these mistakes and thankfully they have not resulted in death but how many times do we read of good careful owners who's dogs have run off sometimes spooked and sometimes jusrt because they have got scent. Should they be chastiosed for making a mistake too. INMHO no it is tragic it is sad and yes things could have been done differently but to blame most staff owners for not having knowledge of a breed and being cat haters well if that is the opinion of a dog lover it really isnt any great surprise there are judges (who may not even like dogs) that make decisions to PTS a dog for this kind of situation
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
For many, its "acceptable" and "natural" for dogs to chase, catch and even kill Cats. So very sad!
Page 4 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »