View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't disagree with the pack/dominance theory in dogs but I think it's one of those terms that has been hijacked by an alternative meaning - like "gay" is no longer "happy", "wicked" has become a positive word, and so on. People use it in a "CM-type" way and that's become the new definition to lots of people. I think the original use needs a new word/phrase because it does make sense and I do believe dogs form their own structure with a dominate dog to guide them, I just think the word is the problem!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I agree completely with what has been said; the word has new meaning that doesn't co-exist with what is actually happening.

Benjie displays dominant behaviour over other dogs when ever he gets the chance too, when we were out with Leanne, his tail was very high, his head above the shoulder but after a few minutes of walking he lowered the level of intensity - I believe it it due to his nervous disposition that causes him to put on this front, yet he backed straight down when Jessie told him off for approaching her the way he did. However this lack of leadership shows as he has never and will not walk over or past Louie or Sadie and Sadie can take whatever she wants off him, bones, food, toys etc.

If we are fussing him and Louie comes over to join in (Louie and Sadie can have a fuss together no problem) Benjie will walk away and lay down in a corner.. The strange thing between my pack (well the 3 when they are all together) is that Louie will lick their faces - which I believe is a sign of respect to the leader (or have I picked a load of twaddle up from somewhere?) yet Benjie grumbles and moves his head around as if he doesn't like it and is uncomfortable. Sadie will only tolerate it for a little while, but she accepts it.

Sadie is also the only one who will play with Louie, if Louie tries to initiate play with Benjie - he very much dislikes it and will run away, yet if Sadie and Louie are playing, or any dogs are playing - he will try and step in and stop it..

I've wandered off the subject - apologies, I don't understand them but I know that Sadie is the boss, if she wants something she will get it but then even though they know I'm not a dog my word is final.

Does that make any sense? Like Sara, my dogs would not co -operate together to bring down and animal and eat it, they're far too used to getting scraps and fed at certain times, but I've often wondered about stray domestic dogs and if they ever work together in packs to find food etc?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
What if it's just the selfish gene with a touch of aggression?
  • I want that - you touch it and I'll have ya!!
  • I'm sitting here, get lost!
  • I'M eating first, sucker!

Of course the less aggressive or those who are less willing to fight quickly learn or are 'trained' into letting others have their way - not unlike what you see with bullies and some people in human society.

The selfish gene is present in all of us - indeed, it is essential to the survival of a species, in primitives anyway.

Maybe some people interpret that as 'pack theory' - I see it just as animal nature.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
That is totally different to being a leader---Etta wants to own everything but she is well aware that she can't---she has to give things up to me and to other dogs in spite of making a fuss about it.

The reason she CAN'T keep everything is because she isn't 'dominant' or confident or able to hang onto things.

We have a friend here at the moment with a couple of dogs, her jrt spent this morning owning lots of things including a rather nice hole in the garden, a patch of grass and her owner as well as more obvious things. She got away with it for most of the time but Zeff or Champa won't allow it and will point that out to her. Gabe won't bother because he doesn't need to.

rune
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I do not see a hierarchy as such, amongst our 5 dogs.

In doorways, all the dogs defer to Lady but the terriers are probably just avoiding getting trodden on. Tara will defer to Polo in this situation.

All our dogs will fight over toys, given the opportunity.

All our dogs would fight over food, given the opportunity. Tess and Maisie will both respect each other when eating and not approach the other until finished eating.

Polo is not a confident dog but will bully Tara, just because he can, as she will avoid confrontation with him but if they come to blows over something that really matters to Tara she will fight with him and Polo will always then back off.

The only thing I think may be linked to status is the tension between Tara(GSD) and Maisie(Yorkie). They are absolutely fine with each other outside the house but cannot mix indoors. They are both unspeyed bitches and I wonder if this is a contributory factor too.

Me and my OH can take food off any one of the dogs if we had too. Same with toys. I believe this is because they don't see us as a threat to them as we provide it and have trained them to give stuff up if asked.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Discussion arising from another thread.

Re pack theory---I live with a group of dogs and have done for many years ---over 30. I see much going on which reinforces the group structure and heirachy. Every day each dog finds out in quiet non confromntational ways where they stand still in the group. It might be as simple as being able to lie in a doorway and prevent another dog from passing just once, it could be eye contact which says 'stay back I am doing this first'. Every now and then it could be more obvious.

People will say that things change because some resources are more important to some dogs than other resources. Of course it does, but for some dogs whatever they decide they want they get. Some dogs will guard a bone or similar even though they are at the bottom of the heirachy----but it will only suceed if they are in a good position----a corner or similar. If they aren't regardless of noise and bluster they will lose it if a dog with more confidence wants it.

I have said before that I think most people don't ever see this, often it depends on how many dogs and what they are, how you aquired them and what resources you have around that can help strengthen the heirachy and make for a secure and stable group.

OTOH I don't think (except for one dog who has now died), that I am considered a part of it.

However is wanting your own way dominance? Would you consider a spoilt child to be dominant over its parents? If a parent comes in and wants a TV programme on and the child makes a fuss and watches what they want who is dominant in that situation?

Why is dominant a dirty word---it happens in all groups of all animals as do heirachies---otherwise the group doesn't function as a group. Why are people happy to describe dogs as bullies? Surely you can't have a bully unless you have someone wanting to dominate in situations?

Why are people so willing to not actually think about this?

rune
I will read the rest in a moment I just wanted to respond to the OP

I think the parent child example is a good one
But the child is not trying to usurp the parents and take charge - they just want what they want and are trying something that might just work for them

I think it is more about learning a strategy for getting what you want
some people/animals have learnt that lots of bluster/chucking a stomp gets them what they want
Some people/animals just cant be bothered with a fight, its not worth the effort so they dont bother

BUT if the 'dom' one was never rewarded by their bluster then the kid would end up better behaived and happer in the long run - and the animal would stop using bluster if it didnt work

I call the dog who guards and takes and prevents other dogs walking in and out of rooms bullies
and the ones who let them away with it are just to polite

As parents we teach children to share, we dont let them tell what the other children can do
we dont proudly say 'Tommy is just dominant'
I feel the same with dogs, I dont accept bullying behaviour

No dog of mine has to guard resources, they are safe to lie where they are lying unharrased and they can move from one room to the other if they so wish

I did believe in the pack thing before I got Mia
But I saw how depressed Ben was becoming not being let into the kitchen for a drink of water because Mia was in charge of the doorway
Yes she dominated and Ben let her but she was stressed because she was having to control him all the time and he was stressed because he was having to be careful not to upset her

I stepped in and made my rules - and they are both happy without even a hard look at each other in well over a year
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I think perhaps one thing we can agree on so far, is that there is no such thing as a linear hierarchy?

It used to be thought that this was what a hierarchy was in "dogdom" - a strict A,B,C,D pecking order which never altered.
However I think now a lot of people disagree with this particular theory in dogs.

So it's interesting that things can be seen to alter.

I pretty much agree with this article on dog social interactions:

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/if-not-dominance.php

I think that dogs are exactly like us. I think they do things because they can, and because of learning and classical conditioning - not because they consider themselves as individuals "dominant".

I did think dogs were dominant over others some time ago, but have altered my views.

Dogs were never really evolved to be in a pack structure, they've always seemed to be in more of a family structure as I understand it.

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Because taking the lead isn`t dominance?
When we work in groups the leader should not dominate - they should facilitate. The creation of a Leader role frees others to perform equally important work.
Also - creation of the Leader implies aquiescence. I mean that the group agrees to let one individual direct the group. Even in a fascist state - the Leader is only in place as long as the group supporting him choose to or are able to let him remain.
Group dynamics is something I`ve worked with for years. It is fascinating - but definitely not a simple as `1 dominant, the rest submissive.`
Even if you look at human dominance, in many cases the submissive is the one who is controlling the scenario. In other words - it takes two to tango.
With animals, pack theory is used - it`s simply that the D word has been subverted by Mr Millan to mean domination by force, backed up by pseudo-science with no basis in fact. This is why most dog owners eschew the D word.
Even so - I would still be loath to use the term Dominate with my pack (and, yes, they are a pack). Daisy lays down some rules and she is rarely challenged. In return she protects and keeps the peace. The others allow her to do this because she is good at it. It frees them to do other things and makes them feel safe (I assume). She does not posture, bully or threaten. But when hunting, Shamus takes the lead. And if male dogs enter our space, it is Shamus who becomes aroused. Daisy doesn`t see them as a threat so it is Shamus who warns them off.
We now have a Puppy to add to the mix and it is interesting to see him learning from the older dogs.
An interesting topic.
as ever well said
It is funny that primates and humans are really one of the most hierarchical species but when training groups we tend not to think about dominance

and as humans we never walk into a room and think 'ohh they are the dom ones I better defer to you'
Charisma, situation, ability they all define how people behaive to other people

None is dom all the time, sometimes we like to lead, sometimes follow - and someone can loose a position of respect over you by abusing their power
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
None is dom all the time, sometimes we like to lead, sometimes follow - and someone can loose a position of respect over you by abusing their power
Agreed. Watch any group of kids playing and you'll see the same sort of scuffles, handbags at dawn etc that you see in a group of dogs. All said in a slightly different way, of course, but very often with very similar actions and reactions
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It used to be thought that this was what a hierarchy was in "dogdom" - a strict A,B,C,D pecking order which never altered.
However I think now a lot of people disagree with this particular theory in dogs.
I can't remember where I read it and haven't been able to find it again, but I'm sure I read somewhere that not even chickens have a 'pecking order' as was once thought; that too is fluid and not linear.
Page 2 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »