View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Some of mums hairless doglets will quite happily wear a coat out in this awful weather, nothing silly - just a normal dog coat. She also has others that will not walk in coats so dont wear them. At the end of the day their dogs, and if its clear their not happy wearing a coat they dont - they manage just fine.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Yes, I agree with Dawn too that if a dog is working, it wouldnt need a coat but out of the millions of dogs owned in this country, how many actually do any work of any description?
Hello again Leanne. No dog "needs" a coat when its out walking, why would they? They never used to when these dogs were created, why now? Weather was worse then too, and not many were kept in our homes.

Plus, if a dog was working, a coat wouldnt be practical, it would only hinder the dog anyway.
They would yes, as they do many pets when people insist on putting them on.

I'm not a dog coat fan, I like my dogs to be hardy so i'm not advocating them in any major way. I am simply pointing out that some breeds who have a thin coat or little fat coverage may get cold when their owners are standing about yacking about the price of eggs.
I appreciate your point, I dont agree with it though. Any animal or person will get cold when standing around, we do, we dont "need" another coat, we need to move!

It all depends on what the dog does when it's out in wet, cold weather. If it's running around then no, a coat is a daft idea but if the dog wont have the opportunity to stoke it's own fire then it perhaps needs an extra layer. And, I would never buy a fashion coat.
Can you believe some of them!

My ex has a rough coated border collie and wanted to know of any full body suits that would fit it as it shivered alot and he didnt like it's belly getting wet. Somebody told him the dog should "man the f**k up" and I very much agree!
Lol!!!! I do too!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
IMO dogs that have coats of their own dont need any others! Personally I think they serve little purpose anyway.
For a great many breeds I would agree, but there are always exceptions.

Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I think for me coats are not a fashion accessory they are a need for dogs that shiver in the cold, Tom has very little covering on his underside and does actually shake with cold in the bad weather when he just goes into the garden to relieve himself, I wouldnt put a coat on a dog unless it was required to keep them warm , maybe we are confusing the need with dogs who get 'dressed up' cos it looks nice !
Exactly.........no sane person would go through the palaver of putting on a coat before walking if it wasn't strictly necessary.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
What!! Dogs LOVE snow, and I've never known a dog who disliked the wind to the point where they did not want to go walkies!! I know my big boys are hairy wolves, so therefore don't count, but I am talking about my daughter's smooth coated chihuahua. he goes for 5 miles a day - without a coat - even in all this freezing weather and snow we have had. IMO and my experience dogs will face ANY weather to have a walk. It is US who want to stay curled up in the warm. As my husband says, only a dog owner like himself would be seen walking out in filthy weather wearing an Australian drovers hat and a long riding mac and yet not be arrested as a potential flasher!!
Come and meet our elderly rescue chappie then!! He absolutely loathes wet, windy or very cold weather UNLESS he has his coat on for protection.

Of course they dont, but tell me why they "need" a coat? Thats a human thing not a dog thing. What you must realise is most of these dogs were bred to work OUTDOORS in all weathers. Look at Whippets etc... yet people dress them up in all sorts they can withstand very low temperatures perfectly well, its their owners that have the issue not the dogs.

I strip my Borders out when they need it, Breeze is stripped out now, she hasnt got to "wear" anything other than her own coat, she doesnt lose condition, she works in whatever weather it is when required and will be in a kennel (with heat lamp) along with Orey or Livvy when she is at work with me, or in the paddock. None of them lose weight.

Dogs do far better when owners dont faff with their natural resistence. Making them wear coats makes them less tolerant of the weather.
Your argument would be fine, except that you are assuming that everyone's dogs are working their paws off.......yes, if they are then a coat would not be required, I agree.

However, the elderly; thin coated; arthritic etc. etc. dog is a totally different matter don't you think? Would an ex athlete with joint problems, and perhaps other medical issues, venture out in minus 10 and less with just his shorts on???!! Have a heart.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
For a great many breeds I would agree, but there are always exceptions.
Yes, as I said "with" coats, heairless dogs dont have coats so Id accept they may "need" one in cold weather.

Your argument would be fine, except that you are assuming that everyone's dogs are working their paws off.......yes, if they are then a coat would not be required, I agree.

However, the elderly; thin coated; arthritic etc. etc. dog is a totally different matter don't you think? Would an ex athlete with joint problems, and perhaps other medical issues, venture out in minus 10 and less with just his shorts on???!! Have a heart.
My point stands, Id NEVER walk an elderly, arthritic dog is the cold weather, that would be cruel, have a heart 'eh!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Some people may have no choice tho Borderdawn.....think of those with little or no garden. Even a quick toddle down to the park or whatever and back will still be a necessity.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Some people may have no choice tho Borderdawn.....think of those with little or no garden. Even a quick toddle down to the park or whatever and back will still be a necessity.
Personally, if a dog has no access to a garden, then it shouldnt be living there, for the reasons you mention. HAVING to walk to a park etc.. just not fair IMO. Take my Tarn, he cant walk far at all, if I had to walk him to the common for a pee, it would near kill him.

I appreciate all dogs need a little exercise, but we will have to agree to disagree on the coat thing.

Oh and its "Dawn" dont worry bout the border bit.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:27 PM
My big two would be mortified if I tried to put a coat of any sort on them. They go out in all weathers and temps with no ill effects, but they both have thick double coats.

My Yorkie has a coat but has only worn it a handful of times when it has been really cold. Most of the time she doesn't need it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
My big two would be mortified if I tried to put a coat of any sort on them. They go out in all weathers and temps with no ill effects, but they both have thick double coats.

My Yorkie has a coat but has only worn it a handful of times when it has been really cold. Most of the time she doesn't need it.
That's the thing - thick double coats equal no extra coat needed. Even a Yorkie has a decent covering of hair.

Personally, if a dog has no access to a garden, then it shouldnt be living there, for the reasons you mention. HAVING to walk to a park etc.. just not fair IMO. Take my Tarn, he cant walk far at all, if I had to walk him to the common for a pee, it would near kill him.

I appreciate all dogs need a little exercise, but we will have to agree to disagree on the coat thing.

Oh and its "Dawn" dont worry bout the border bit.
okay we will agree to disagree!! Glad that it's just Dawn, because the full name is a bit of a mouthful.

I do think that it is a little unfair to say that a dog shouldn't be living in a flat, because sometimes people's circumstances change .......if they live in a flat, does that mean they have to give up their pets? Occasionally people do have to because they cannot find accommodation which will accept a dog, and they are nearly destroyed because of it. I would never judge a flat dweller with their dog.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:57 PM
My GSP comes from working stock who are all kennelled and have never seen a coat. But he lives in a centrally heated house and spends every night snoozing in front of the fire. If it is raining, after 20 minutes he is wet through and as miserable as sin. His tail is clamped down, his back all hunched up, his ears all flat and his teeth chattering. You will never see anything so miserable looking! So my big strong boy has a couple of waterproof coats to keep him dry and he is soooo obviously happier and bounces around as if the sun was shining.

My foster girlie is a lurcher and loses weight if she doesn't wear a coat when it's cold. So when it was below zero she wore her cosy coat, now it's warmed up (relatively) she doesn't need it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:59 PM
That's the thing - thick double coats equal no extra coat needed. Even a Yorkie has a decent covering of hair.

okay we will agree to disagree!! Glad that it's just Dawn, because the full name is a bit of a mouthful.

I do think that it is a little unfair to say that a dog shouldn't be living in a flat, because sometimes people's circumstances change .......if they live in a flat, does that mean they have to give up their pets? Occasionally people do have to because they cannot find accommodation which will accept a dog, and they are nearly destroyed because of it. I would never judge a flat dweller with their dog.
That would depend on the dog really. If say you had a Rottie which had HD, was very arthritic and couldnt get up the stairs (no lift) how "fair" would it be? However if you had say a JRT, would be no issue to carry him.
Page 6 of 26 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »