View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 02:35 PM
My dogs are double coated so definitely don't need any assistance in keeping warm......
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2010, 03:34 PM
My Joe has a coat that he wears in very cold weather, although my OH thinks he looks ridiculous in it Joe's black, as is his coat so it's not that noticable. I personally think he feels the cold but it's mainly to keep his bigger scar covered from the elements to be honest
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I think they come with a fur coat
Unless they are old/ill, don't really see why they would need one!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 03:39 PM
i think in this weather a coat is a must, but again it depends on the dog, my gsd pup xeva has a coat atm because of the weather but my older gsd ty doesnt need one as he has a really thick coat, i do believe though that puppies should have one on though
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I think it depends on the individual dog, regardless of breed. Ozzy has a wax coat that he wears in the rain and snow but more to keep him dry than warm.

If your dog feels cold it needs a coat
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 03:47 PM
If your dog had a choice, he`d be curled up out of the wind, not out walking in the snow. But dogs don`t have choice, they go out when we do.
So get him a little coat. I bet you wear one!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:27 PM
My hounds are always snuggled up in their coats walking , rule of thumb is if I need a coat so do they ! They dont run in their coats but soon have them back on when zoomies are over to walk home ! But they are skinny hounds with a thin coat !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I will put a coat on Trip if she is out for a long time in the cold, or if it is wet and cold - she has very light coat and it offers little protection.

Tass has one as I do not want her to get cold and her back end to seize up or stiffen.

If they are likely to be standing around in the cold, I would rather have coats on - if they are moving - I do not see such a need.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:34 PM
It depends I guess. When the temps were still around -7 here I saw many a short coated puppy road walking without a coat on and thought they needed one.

I think if your dog is doing alot of free running and can keep warm that way then they're fine but if it's cold or raining outside and i'm doing a lead walk then I put coats on them, even Jed who has a thick coat.

I think any dog who isnt going to be working up a sweat and is short coated would benefit from a coat in this kind of weather.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Our yorkie, jack russell and doberman have coats. GSD & collie don't but have good thick undercoats and are running a lot when out. When the dobe is out running she does not wear hers but for lead walking she does when it is very cold as it has been.

I agree if a dog is shivering it needs a coat on.
Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »