View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
It sounds like you have been feeding the processed kind of raw (like Prize Choice etc) which can vary a lot from batch to batch. I would go with the fresh meat suggestion and try one meat at a time (for about a week each) and see if there is anything specific she prefers.

As mentioned above you should not mix raw and dried/tinned foods because of the way they are digested. Fresh meat can go through the gut in as little as 6 hours, which is why dogs are so resilient to the bugs in food that would cause humans serious problems, it is just not in there long enough for the bacteria to grow. Commercial food and dried food in particular can stay in the gut for days, so if it holds up the fresh food the nasty bacteria have long enough to grow to dangerous levels.

To make a raw diet 'balanced' you have to feed a wide variety of meats over a period of time. The nutrition comes from the amino acids which make up the various proteins and there is no single meat that contains every amino acid that is required. The greater the variety of meats (lamb, poultry, beef, game, fish etc) the better the quality of the diet. Offal is also important as is bone, but these both need to be fed in moderation.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've just been getting tinned dog food from the local shop this last week or so as it's easiest for me. Lana seems to love it but it's not what I want to feed her on constantly. I like the raw because of the choice of different meats and know it's a healthy diet. Tried her again with some raw during the week but she wouldn't touch it, sniffed it and walked away.

I'll go to the market next week as I can take Lana with me. I'll try her with it raw first and if she still won't eat it I'll start cooking for her. I quite fancied natures menu or something similar but don't fancy spending £40 for their trial package to discover Lana won't eat it.

She gets liver which I've always lightly cooked for her as she never did like it raw, same with chicken wings, quick flash in the frying pan to get the flavour and then she would eat them. I'll check up on the Pero organic and barking heads, thanks very much for the tip Kerryowner. Like you I don't see the point in feeding her stuff she doesn't like and will only eat when starving.

I was never keen on the Prize Choice it always looked over processed to me and too mushy but at least she ate it. She likes pilchards but I'll try sardines and cottage cheese.

I gave her mince and potatoes one night which she scoffed and I always use brown rice and wholemeal pasta so it's good to know I can give her that.

Off to check up on books for cooking for dogs as although I will try her with the raw stuff from the market I have a feeling I'll end up having to cook it for her.

I also prefer raw for the size of the poos

Thanks again for all the tips and re the raw and the processed.
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I would try and stay away from the tinned food as far as you can, of course dogs like it because it is filled with stuff that is very tasty, but extremely unhealthy, rather like asking a 5 year old to choose between McDonald's and a fresh salad.

Rather than frying or fully cooking her food try giving it a quick blast in the microwave, say about 30 sec for a chicken joint. This doesn't cook it enough to destroy the vital nutrients but it does start to bring out the smell of the food and to a dog, smell = taste.

My dog won't eat raw liver either unless it is cut into chunks and he had some lambs heart today that he wouldn't touch until I chopped it into peices, maybe its a texture thing, not wanting to chew these types of meat so chopping the food up for her might be worth a try.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 11:59 PM
sorry, i didnt have time to read right through this thread, how about mashing cottage cheese or liver through her meat, or serving a meaty bone still frozen?

My dog likes that (he has decided after lamb, chicken is boring) so I'm mixing canned sardines or a bit of his liver through it. He prefers bones frozen and liver still a bit frozen too. Mixing a beaten egg helps too. (I don't think I will be ordering chicken again anytime soon ) He also likes the 'courser' minces and dosnt like it if they are too mushy.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2