Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
The media will use anything to fuel anti pitbull feeling. Poor dogs just have to look at someone and they're obviously about to attack.
loving your avatar claire! i have a good pic that i use as my msn pic, its good but sad... will dig it out...
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
That's been my experience with them too. We just met another one, a new one to our area, a rescue who is about 5 years old. I squatted down to meet her and had my face covered in kisses. That's pretty much been my experience with every pit I've met (and every Rottweiler I've met too, now that I think of it).

I think there's still a quiet stigma about GSDs. They're seen as tough guard dogs. They have a sort of intense movement that the more goofy, smaller pits don't have. And you still see them shown on TV and in movies as police dogs chasing and stopping criminals. People aren't as vocal about GSDs because of their police work, but I find a lot of people nervous around them probably BECAUSE of that.

The hue and cry of "Kill all the pit bulls!" just disgusts me. It should be "Kill all the bad owners who cause these bites!" Any dog, if neglected and abused has the chance of biting and killing someone.

They are very goofy, and do seem to be very people orientated dogs, there seem to be a lot about, and living in multi dog packs too. I can only say of my experiences since moving here, and I do find them nice dogs.

Thanks for explaining the stigma of GSD's, my vet and neighbours have said the same, a lot of people don't see them as pets, more of a guard/yard dog.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
loving your avatar claire! i have a good pic that i use as my msn pic, its good but sad... will dig it out...
found it...

chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
found it...

I'm getting that as a tatoo on my back at the shoulder when I've got the money, but thats been planned for about a year lol, having animals is expensive.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'm getting that as a tatoo on my back at the shoulder when I've got the money, but thats been planned for about a year lol, having animals is expensive.
lol, before i got my tattoo on my back i had considered it but then decided it was too big so therefore too much pain i get small tattooes and leave a year or two inbetween them to give me time to forget the pain would be a fantastic one to get though.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I see pride of place is given to the Clifton Report. Lol.

(Crediblity takes a dip after that)

America is has a huge population and suffers over 300,000 dog bites severe enough to require hospitalisation every year. It would not be difficult to compile a similar list for many other breeds (particularly if, as this site does, we include attacks on cats and other animals).

Add to that the fact that the term 'pit bull' is used in parts of America to describe several different breeds, the lack of consistent standards of data collection and the total abscence of balance marks this out as bona-fide, mouth-frothing propaganda.

The use of links like this to bolster its message is just...well. Surprised you fell for it, Borderdawn.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/7751607.html
I have "fell" for nothing. I find it absolutely sickening to see s many injuries and deaths caused by one breed of dog in such a short space of time. I was mailed the link, I posted it not to cause aggro, if Id wanted that, looking at when the site was started I could of "found" it a long time ago.

Im not about to start the whole PB ban debate again, as I have said, I like the breed, but banned for a reason here, and I think it should stand, I have no doubt these dogs have little place in our homes as pets.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:51 PM
You seem as biased as the site. If you did some research, you would find that there have been many attacks and injuries by many other dog breeds.

And if you looked at the stories and did some research you would find that many stories of "pit bull attacks" are not pit bulls, are dogs who might be mixed with pit bulls, and are often not dogs kept as pets.

The reality is that MOST dog bites are by dogs who are chained, regardless of breed. People need to stop buying into the media hype.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
You seem as biased as the site. If you did some research, you would find that there have been many attacks and injuries by many other dog breeds.

And if you looked at the stories and did some research you would find that many stories of "pit bull attacks" are not pit bulls, are dogs who might be mixed with pit bulls, and are often not dogs kept as pets.

The reality is that MOST dog bites are by dogs who are chained, regardless of breed. People need to stop buying into the media hype.
Im not biased at all, please show me another breed that has killed so many people in this time frame or any other.

These dogs are banned in the UK, as I said in my op, sites like this with the statistics to back it up, proves to me at least why banning them was the right thing to do. ANY PB here is illegal, anyone owning one here (to me) should be prosecuted for keeping them.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:04 PM
but pitbull resembles a number of breeds under that name. its fine if people are scared of the breed they are powerful animals but no matter how scared you are why should they die???
they arnt born aggressive and horrible, a bad owner makes a bad dog and vise versa!

its not their fault they where born with this reputation when they havnt done anything. makeing them illegal doesnt solve the route of the problem which is the owners!!

they will over time just pick anotherbreed to use! and the cycle starts again
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Except it's been proven time and time again that bites do NOT decrease when you ban a breed of dog. There were some recent things out about the ban in Ontario, Canada that showed dog bites and dog bite fatalities had gone UP since they banned pit bulls.

Banning breeds never works because the eejits who are going to use a dog as a weapon are either going to keep using that breed illegally or will move onto another breed.

There used to be an awful lot of hype about GSDs, Rottweilers and Dobermans. Pits are just the next media story. That SITE is biased. What that SITE does not show is all the OTHER dog bites. If a site wants to show a dog is more dangerous than others then IT HAS TO SHOW THE OTHERS. You cannot compare one breeds bite stats when you don't see anything other than THAT ONE BREED. There are something like 300,000 dog bites in the USA in a year. So what you're seeing there is a small percentage. The site is built around scaring people. It also doesn't show all the pits every year who don't bite, all the pits who live out their 10 or 12 or 16 years without ever biting someone. It's nothing but a scare tactic.

I could make a site showing all the fatalities and injuries caused by accidents in which an SUV is involved. I could show you pictures of the injuries, the dead, the rolled over vehicles. I could tell you how horrible SUVs are and how they should be banned and no one should drive them or own them because a horrible accident WILL happen to you. It would be easy to do. And it would be totally biased and completely skewed.

This site does not show statistics. It shows one thing: the attacks by pit bulls. In order for there to be statistics, there has to be something to compare it to. Therefore this site is useless. But you bought into its nonsense message. This was a witchhunt created by a guy who lost his CAT to a couple dogs.

And no, I can't produce another website to show you how many other bites by X dog breed there have been because no one is on a witch hunt to ban any other dog at the moment.
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »