Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Leanne
Thanks for responding. Depression is serious and hard to live with. There are things that can help him if he wants to. I understand your reluctance to not upset the apple cart if self-harm has been on the menu. However, if he is not profoundly depressed right now then it is a suitable moment to intervene.
As for a different approach to dog training, you are kidding only yourself. Be strong, advocate for the dog and tell him straight it will not do.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Two questions come to mind........

1. Why does he have a dog?

2. And why does he still have you?

Snorri
Along with , why are you still with someone who is so violent.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
{Hugs}
I don't know Leanne...but I don't think this thread is going to help either her, or her OHs dog. I think perhaps being aggressive towards her about her not doing very much about the beating the dog received is only going to serve to push her away. Not very helpful for anyone really.

It is very very easy for people who are not in the situation to stand up and say what they would do. 'Walk a week in my shoes'.... we know nothing of Leanne really, so to start shouting about how terrible she is to not do anything...well...it's wrong IMO.
Of course her OH Is in the wrong. Of course his behaviour should not be condoned, but I think Claireand Daisys post hits the nail on the head, so to speak....Leanne needs to be strong and surely it would be better if we helped her to be so, rather than knocking her and making her less so????

Those of us that have been in abusive relationships are perhaps more able to see where Leanne is coming from. Perhaps this will be the catalyst that helps her to remove herself and the dog from the situation,perhaps not,but criticising her and having a go is not going to help her is it?
Leanne PM me if you want to chat. If not good luck with it all. As Claire said be strong.

I have to agree with the above, OK, we are all disgusted with the behaviour of this man, and its seems from many have just simply judged Leanne for standing by and watching.

As Ramble says, walk a mile in someone else's shoes, before you judge.

Leanne , I guess you are reeling a little from the reaction you got from this thread,(as you have not come back on) and I hope you can see why all of us are a little taken aback by you not acting on it.

But again as Rambe says , sometimes its not so simple, when we sit here and read, its easy to judge and say.........I would never do that or allow this!! I am sure we all feel we would do the right thing, at the right time, but other factors may play a part in what we do or simply it may be such a shock at the time, you are numb in reacting.

Although , as you say , this is not the first time he has done this, as you say you usually stand by and be quiet........why is that, are you frightened of this man, has he a history of violence to animals or people,

I can only say , "if! this is normal for him, and you are becoming used to it, then you need to get out now... statistics show, violent people don't stop with animals, they move on to their loved ones.... if you can end this relationship now do so, before you get in to deep.

I am giving you the benefit of doubt here... and assuming there is more to you not being able to stop him, if I am wrong and you just stand by every time he is violent to his dog , then I will join in with the others in condemning you as much as him.

Lets hope its not , get out now, and find yourself someone who is kind to animals..... like breeds like, and you can tell a lot by a person , on how hes/she respects (or not ) other living things in life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Two questions come to mind........

1. Why does he have a dog?

2. And why does he still have you?

Snorri
This absolutely sums it up for me. One other point, a "mild mannered person" doesnt beat dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
This absolutely sums it up for me. One other point, a "mild mannered person" doesnt beat dogs.
Sadly Dawn mild mannered people do beat up dogs and other people... Just because people are quiet and mild the majority of the time doesn't mean they can't do atrocious things occasionally. I know a couple of people who have been described to me as 'mild mannered' when I have seen the tip side of their personality that is anything but. I do see your point, but I also see where Leanne is coming from on that one totally, especially as she says he OH has depression...
Meg
Supervisor

05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Firstly, I want to point out that I didnt post the thread to get sympathy, or to show off how good my dog is or to have it confirmed to me I should leave him. I posted the thread because the whole thing was on my mind. Furthermore, I knew this thread, and me, wouldnt get a favourable response but i'm used to that. I've been on Dogsey long enough to know how people will respond to certain things.

Secondly, I do not live with my OH so my details on here are irrelevant. I have to admit, I wasnt expecting somebody to suggest my details should be used to report my OH though. I take sole responsibility for my dogs, the OH has nothing to do with them. Like I said in my original post, we take our dogs out seperately and since I dont live with him neither, I dont know how he treats her on a day to day basis. I have seen things I dont agree with in the past but not to the extent I saw yesterday, which is why I posted.

Thirdly, I did not leave him completely whistling for his dog. We had taken the 2 pointers out only, I went back to the car to collect my collies and then they all went out. By this time he'd calmed down and was letting his dog do what she wanted again. The rest of the walk was spent with me trying to convince him that if he altered his attitude, his dog wouldnt be such a problem. I've talked to him about this till i'm blue in the face and we've had many disagreements about it but it falls on deaf ears.

Believe it or not, he is a very mild mannered person who fails to see problems as problems, thats why his dog runs amok in the first place but when he does lose his temper, he goes completely overboard, but this happens on very rare occassions. I'm not concerned for my safety at all though. In his defence, he does suffer with severe depression and it's something i've had to deal with, and that includes several attempts at suicide. I dont want to bring his/our personal problems into it but Wilbar brought up mental health.

Mine and his approach to dog ownership is completely different and try as I might, I cant convince him that his approach isnt responsible and clearly doesnt work. He's older than me, has had many more dogs than me so whether he thinks i've got no grounds to preach, I dont know.
Leanne, if your expressing your opinion to you OH 'falls on deaf ears ' why do you continue to take your dogs out with him ? To me this gives the impression that although you disagree with him you are still prepared to accept his behaviour which is not going to help him or the poor dog.

You may be younger than he is and he may have had more dogs but that is beside the point, you are an adult and as such are surely capable of making your feelings know. I would make it quite clear to this man that you are not prepared to accept his behaviour and that it stops right now. If he treats Millie that way when you are around knowing how you feel how do you think he treats her when you are not around? He could have killed the poor dog then where would he be.

I think he also needs to see someone about getting help with the underlaying problem which makes it difficult for him to control his temper.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
In my infinite wisdom, I thought I could help him with the dummy work yesterday as he's always asking me questions about it. I thought if I showed him how I do it with Flynn, it would help him get more out of his dog. What I actually did in hindsight was set his dog up for a fall as he didnt want to practice in the location we did but I insisted it would be a good idea.

As stated in my previous thread, the rest of the walk was spent trying to make him see sense. Ranting and raving and getting angry with him like he did with his own dog is going to achieve nothing at all.
No it wont, but the question you need to ask yourself is this.....can you stand by as your relationship grows, and watch his violent treatment towards his dogs???

Depression is a terrible thing Leanne , but that still does not excuse how he disciplines his dogs....be sure of one thing, if he does that in public, he will do that in private.

So again, the question will be .....can you live with some one who takes his anger/feelings out in such a way on other living things.

If things progress, and you live together, be careful the anger does not turn to you..
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No it wont, but the question you need to ask yourself is this.....can you stand by as your relationship grows, and watch his violent treatment towards his dogs???

Depression is a terrible thing Leanne , but that still does not excuse how he disciplines his dogs....be sure of one thing, if he does that in public, he will do that in private.

So again, the question will be .....can you live with some one who takes his anger/feelings out in such a way on other living things.

If things progress, and you live together, be careful the anger does not turn to you..
Yep. I agree. Totally.
Please be careful with this Leanne. He may be meek and mild with you so far,but truly...be careful.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Oh my good god!

Why are you with a man that acts so cruelly to animals?!?!?!?!! By witnessing it and not reporting it, you could be regarded as bad as he is!

I really hate such unnecessary training, it is so outdated. Yes dogs like to work, but if they aren't really very good at it or don't get the satisfaction, try them on something else. It isn't a necessity for survival in modern day society!

Sick!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I understand totally where you are coming form Leanne.

But there is a but in this I suffer from depression and it has been very bad in the past I could cheerfully when I was younger and my boys were younger of thrown them through a window for crunching their cereal too loudly, but I didn't I went to the Dr and got some help.

I have never ever beaten my children or my animals when I have been in this state, I have taken advice from loved ones and got help I have never had counseling but have often been on anti depressants.

My younger son suffers worse than I do he did have counseling, but has never laid a finger on the animals or anyone else and I would happily leave him in charge of Ollie if needed.

He now also goes to the gym and does a lot exercise to vent out his frustrations as he knows violence towards another human being or animal is not acceptable.

Your OH needs help and so do his dogs and I realize this is going to be very difficult for you.

Just keep and eye on them although I suspect you already do that and please if you can stop any more harm coming to them, without yourself coming to harm.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I don`t suppose counselling or anger management are things he`d consider?
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 26 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »