Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Disturbing Walk With OH (Rant)

Now, generally I dont take my dogs out with the OH and his dog, I take them alone and thats the way I prefer it. His dog is very badly trained, runs amok etc and after all the time and money I spend training mine, I dont like the effect it has on my lot who then want to join in the antics.

Anyway, today we decided to take the 2 pointers out for a training session, do a bit of dummy work and then a bit of hunting on gamey ground. The OH wasnt happy with this as he said his dog would simply run off hunting on her own and not concentrate.

I set Flynn up for a long blind retrieve which he struggled with so I set him up closer and he then did it no probs. OH decided to set his dog up for a long blind without showing her the direction she should go in so she ran off the wrong way. After some cursing, stupid dog remarks and a tip from me, he did exactly the same again and so Millie went the wrong way again. (Bear in mind Flynn is at this level of training, Millie has only just started with my OH as her teacher )

It was at this point he flipped his lid and proceeded to punch and kick her whilst holding her by the scruff of her neck. Normally I silently curse inside but this beating today was totally uncalled for and too violent as he was the one in the wrong, not the dog. After I made him let her go, she obviously ran off whilst he fetched the dummy himself. He tried to recall her but she wouldnt come within 10ft of him which only made him angrier and he started to follow her trying to catch her, all the time shouting at her and waving this plastic flexible stick he's now started to carry Millie is totally scared of the stick. I asked him if he hits her with it and he said no. I have my own suspicions about that.

After I diplomatically tried to explain that his dog will never do as he wants if he beats her, I then suggested he try a simple seen retrieve which is more suited to Millie's level. Bingo! She had no problems with that task. The blind retrieve was obviously beyond her capabilities and her beating all came down to the fact her owner couldnt recognise this and hasnt a clue how to train or understand a dog, despite having had many in the past.

After a few retrieves Millie lost interest a bit and just started to hunt after fetching the dummy (Millie struggles to find anything interesting except hunting since she has been allowed to free hunt for all 3 years of her life) His reaction? "Look, I told you she'd just start hunting". My reply was "well stop talking to me, get that damn whistle in your mouth and do something about it, dont let her get away with whatever she wants to do!!!!!!"

His approach to it is that her free hunting is too far advanced and nothing can be done. I said something can be done but it would take alot of hard work. His simple reply was that he cant be bothered. So his dog will continue to get dealt a raw deal because he cant be bothered to put right a problem he created with his total lack of discipline and direction. It makes my blood boil and it's another reason I dont walk the dogs with him, it creates too many arguments.

I left him frantically blowing the recall whistle whilst his dog threw him the V's, ignored the whistle and carried on doing exactly what she liked Flynn hadnt put a foot wrong during the whole session (except for chasing a rabbit) so he at least walked away without a harsh word in his ear and happy he'd got to do something he loves.

My OH then wonders why his dog p**ses off and never even glances at him and mine stay with me, eager to chase a ball I might produce out of my pocket or pushing their noses into my hand for a fuss as they trot past I, my dear, dont need to carry a flexible stick to get my dogs to listen!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Two questions come to mind........

1. Why does he have a dog?

2. And why does he still have you?

Snorri
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Now, generally I dont take my dogs out with the OH and his dog, I take them alone and thats the way I prefer it. His dog is very badly trained, runs amok etc and after all the time and money I spend training mine, I dont like the effect it has on my lot who then want to join in the antics.

Anyway, today we decided to take the 2 pointers out for a training session, do a bit of dummy work and then a bit of hunting on gamey ground. The OH wasnt happy with this as he said his dog would simply run off hunting on her own and not concentrate.

I set Flynn up for a long blind retrieve which he struggled with so I set him up closer and he then did it no probs. OH decided to set his dog up for a long blind without showing her the direction she should go in so she ran off the wrong way. After some cursing, stupid dog remarks and a tip from me, he did exactly the same again and so Millie went the wrong way again. (Bear in mind Flynn is at this level of training, Millie has only just started with my OH as her teacher )

It was at this point he flipped his lid and proceeded to punch and kick her whilst holding her by the scruff of her neck. Normally I silently curse inside but this beating today was totally uncalled for and too violent as he was the one in the wrong, not the dog. After I made him let her go, she obviously ran off whilst he fetched the dummy himself. He tried to recall her but she wouldnt come within 10ft of him which only made him angrier and he started to follow her trying to catch her, all the time shouting at her and waving this plastic flexible stick he's now started to carry Millie is totally scared of the stick. I asked him if he hits her with it and he said no. I have my own suspicions about that.

After I diplomatically tried to explain that his dog will never do as he wants if he beats her, I then suggested he try a simple seen retrieve which is more suited to Millie's level. Bingo! She had no problems with that task. The blind retrieve was obviously beyond her capabilities and her beating all came down to the fact her owner couldnt recognise this and hasnt a clue how to train or understand a dog, despite having had many in the past.

After a few retrieves Millie lost interest a bit and just started to hunt after fetching the dummy (Millie struggles to find anything interesting except hunting since she has been allowed to free hunt for all 3 years of her life) His reaction? "Look, I told you she'd just start hunting". My reply was "well stop talking to me, get that damn whistle in your mouth and do something about it, dont let her get away with whatever she wants to do!!!!!!"

His approach to it is that her free hunting is too far advanced and nothing can be done. I said something can be done but it would take alot of hard work. His simple reply was that he cant be bothered. So his dog will continue to get dealt a raw deal because he cant be bothered to put right a problem he created with his total lack of discipline and direction. It makes my blood boil and it's another reason I dont walk the dogs with him, it creates too many arguments.

I left him frantically blowing the recall whistle whilst his dog threw him the V's, ignored the whistle and carried on doing exactly what she liked Flynn hadnt put a foot wrong during the whole session (except for chasing a rabbit) so he at least walked away without a harsh word in his ear and happy he'd got to do something he loves.

My OH then wonders why his dog p**ses off and never even glances at him and mine stay with me, eager to chase a ball I might produce out of my pocket or pushing their noses into my hand for a fuss as they trot past I, my dear, dont need to carry a flexible stick to get my dogs to listen!
So these beatings are a regular thing then?

Sorry, but if I saw someone beating a dog in the way you describe I would be straight on the phone to the RSPCA.

Perhaps your OH needs to rehome the poor girl to someone that won't beat her for his mistakes.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I found your post very uncomfortable to read

Sorry, but this man's a bully....Why are you with him?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Two questions come to mind........

1. Why does he have a dog?

2. And why does he still have you?

Snorri
Can I add a 3rd, why would you bother with a bloke who treats his dog like this?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
no apologies from me - this guy is sick in the head - can a mod intervene personal details from the OP as the RSPCA should be called in here
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
ANY beating is uncalled for and ANY violence is too violent.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
You're right - very disturbing.....and downright disgusting.
Not sure I'd have admitted on here that I had a boyfriend that did that to a dog. Poor girl
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

Poor dog thats all I can say, and you must really love this man to still be with him, I couldn't be, I'm also concered at what happened to her when you left, she could of got the same sort of beating as before, but with no-one to stop it, I would kick him out, and rehome the poor dog to someone who can look after her properly and knows how to train her properly, whilst keeping their hands to themselves.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Get rid of him, if he can do it to a dog he can do it to a child or to you.

Report him to the RSPCA.

rune
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »