View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Misty is a working springer cross working cocker. Have called her a sprocker in the past, but mostly to family, after I'd explained what she is because I'm too lazy to say the whole cross!

Dad likes to call her a cockspring though, he finds it very amusing!

If people understand that they have a cross, and not some new breed, then I'm not bothered if they use what ever designer name it is given.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I noticed in the "dogs today" magazine there is an A-Z of breeds...cockapoo and labradoodle included!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
lol just noticed this, just cause my mum calls them cocker poodle cross doesnt mean shes ashamed of them and just because my OH mum calls them cockapoos doesnt mean she is. My mum gets very upset about the hype against "designer dogs" she loves her dog no matter what its breed. My OH mum is proud that they are a cross and doesnt pay attention to those against them Which i think reflects the name they call them

To me it doesnt make any differecne because a "cockapoo" is an abbreviation of cocker poodle so essentially the same. As long as those who buy in know what they're getting. But I would always say cocker cross first, Just cause I own two cross breeds and thats what I call them. Totts is a JRT cross not sure what with, but is pretty accurate guess she may be a chihuahua, would never call her a "Jack Chi" but because to me she is a cross. Makes no diff whatever anyone prefers calling them to me.

Thanks your opinion mine still sticks though.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I feel that if you say its a ... crossed with a .... you expect something with parts of both, whereas if you say it is a ....... people expect a standard. Took me ages to convinve my boss that the "scruffy labrador" and the "cute fluffy dog" were both the same cross!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I consider it to be modernity.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Thanks your opinion mine still sticks though.
Definitly, nothing wrong with your opinion at all, thought you were insinuiting they cared more for them because of the name. The name has nothing to do with it, imo. Just one doesn't pay attention to all the contreversy, and one gets upset by it.

Crossed wires
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 03:04 PM
people with non-crosses get asked what their dogs are as well, btw. I must admit people are fairly mystified by Shamus the Shorthair, because you don`t get many GSPs round here. I just say Pointer and they`re happy. And the other day a man admired Daisy`s luxuriant tail and asked what she was crossed with .I was tempted to say Squirrel.
When people ask me what Bran is, I sometimes make it up - Greek Badger Hound anyone?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Definitly, nothing wrong with your opinion at all, thought you were insinuiting they cared more for them because of the name. The name has nothing to do with it, imo. Just one doesn't pay attention to all the contreversy, and one gets upset by it.

Crossed wires
Not at all I do not know the people you talk of, so wouldnt comment on how they felt about their pets.
My point was in my eyes, people who are proud of something dont try and make it out to be something its not...breeders, owners and who ever else.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
people with non-crosses get asked what their dogs are as well, btw. I must admit people are fairly mystified by Shamus the Shorthair, because you don`t get many GSPs round here. I just say Pointer and they`re happy. And the other day a man admired Daisy`s luxuriant tail and asked what she was crossed with .I was tempted to say Squirrel.
When people ask me what Bran is, I sometimes make it up - Greek Badger Hound anyone?
Greek Beagle???
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Well he`s from Greece and probably is a foxhound/ beagle cross - he`s a Box!
Page 5 of 28 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »