Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Luckypirate View Post
I have serious issues with it. Don't get me wrong, I love crossbreeds to death, many are goregous and intelligent and I'll definately be owning them in the future. However, I intend to rescue. In my opinion, if you want to show off about your dog's breeds, get a pedigree or stop waving it in my face.

'I have a cockapoo!'
'No, you have a mutt.'

Just...ugh...it is really one of my pet hates. The only ones I have little trouble with are springadors and sprockers. Don't know why, maybe because they don't seem to be so in your face as the 'poo' breeds.
It also annoys me when in the free ads you'll see KC registered labs or other popular breeds costing half of what these designer dogs are. A lot of breeders seem to be using it as a way to make a quick buck and to be honest, that's neither good for the mother, the pups, or the potential new owners.

(By the way Maxine, Oskar is gorgeous <3)
I am wondering if this is because they are from working breed parentage Luckypirate. I must admit that I find these sorts of crosses (note the word crosses) most attractive. One of my first dogs was an Irish Setter crossed with a golden Cocker. Although she was very giddy she was a lovely dog, both in temperament and looks. She was also very healthy.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Not ever owner of them calls them they're "designer name", my mum is very particular Amber is a cocker poodle cross, then people go to her ohhhh a cockapoo? no a cocker poodle cross.

But then my OH mum calls them a cockapoo and is proud of owning them.
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Not ever owner of them calls them they're "designer name", my mum is very particular Amber is a cocker poodle cross, then people go to her ohhhh a cockapoo? no a cocker poodle cross.

I am very much the same as your mum

I would love to ban the 'H' word. The more the word is used the more acceptable it becomes and unfortunately this plays right into the hands of unethical back door breeders who breed with no regard for animal welfare and focus purely on profit

When my guys attend fundraisers it's a great opportunity to educate the public. If we do a walk around the arena Jacub stands between an Alaskan Malamute and a Siberian Husky and it is explained that he is a cross of the two. When it's time for the public to meet the dogs folks always head straight for Jacub.........

MOP - Can we meet the huskamute?

Me - No, but your very welcome to meet Jacub our Husky x Mal

MOP - Yeah, the huskamute, can we meet him?

Me - A huskamute is not a breed of sled dog. Jacub is a crossbreed.

MOP - Aww I see. But you don't love him any less?

Me - We chain him up outside and don't feed him

MOP - Your kiddin me on right?

Dump the designer label and keep it real I say - nowt wrong with a good old crossbreed My lad is a stunner

Take care.

Seoniad.
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
I am very much the same as your mum

I would love to ban the 'H' word. The more the word is used the more acceptable it becomes and unfortunately this plays right into the hands of unethical back door breeders who breed with no regard for animal welfare and focus purely on profit

When my guys attend fundraisers it's a great opportunity to educate the public. If we do a walk around the arena Jacub stands between an Alaskan Malamute and a Siberian Husky and it is explained that he is a cross of the two. When it's time for the public to meet the dogs folks always head straight for Jacub.........

MOP - Can we meet the huskamute?

Me - No, but your very welcome to meet Jacub our Husky x Mal

MOP - Yeah, the huskamute, can we meet him?

Me - A huskamute is not a breed of sled dog. Jacub is a crossbreed.

MOP - Aww I see. But you don't love him any less?

Me - We chain him up outside and don't feed him

MOP - Your kiddin me on right?

Dump the designer label and keep it real I say - nowt wrong with a good old crossbreed My lad is a stunner

Take care.

Seoniad.
well said you totaly agree dump the designer name
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I am wondering if this is because they are from working breed parentage Luckypirate. I must admit that I find these sorts of crosses (note the word crosses) most attractive. One of my first dogs was an Irish Setter crossed with a golden Cocker. Although she was very giddy she was a lovely dog, both in temperament and looks. She was also very healthy.
Yeah I think it could be that too. I would definately consider owning one of those crosses in future, but would never pay the extortionate prices that BSBs charge for them sometimes.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Everyone should be proud of the dogs they own, no matter what breed, cross, colour, size ect! But tbh being proud of what you own is not (imo) trying to make it something its not by calling it silly names.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Everyone should be proud of the dogs they own, no matter what breed, cross, colour, size ect! But tbh being proud of what you own is not (imo) trying to make it something its not by calling it silly names.
What a fabulous post...so true...

I cannot abide the designer breeding..or the owners giving them the designer names too...
Its all about money..and most are duped into beleiving they are getting something special (whilst I agree the dogs will be special to them I mean breedwise)..
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I think the bottom line is, do we need cross breeds, there not designer dogs there muts, the shelters are full of them, i blame the people who buy them, if it wasnt for them they woundnt keep breeding them. so if you own one you are as much to blame as the backyard breeders......
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 07:23 PM
We saw someone with a Mini Schauzer x Bichon Frise puppy the other week and it was delightful.

I asked the owner if it had a silly name (meaning the cross) and he replied "Bertie"!

He knew what I meant though!

It was when Cherry was away in the doggy hospital and Parker was missing her so much-he was so sad when the people took the puppy home. He followed them to nearby their car and looked so forlorn watching them go.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
lol just noticed this, just cause my mum calls them cocker poodle cross doesnt mean shes ashamed of them and just because my OH mum calls them cockapoos doesnt mean she is. My mum gets very upset about the hype against "designer dogs" she loves her dog no matter what its breed. My OH mum is proud that they are a cross and doesnt pay attention to those against them Which i think reflects the name they call them

To me it doesnt make any differecne because a "cockapoo" is an abbreviation of cocker poodle so essentially the same. As long as those who buy in know what they're getting. But I would always say cocker cross first, Just cause I own two cross breeds and thats what I call them. Totts is a JRT cross not sure what with, but is pretty accurate guess she may be a chihuahua, would never call her a "Jack Chi" but because to me she is a cross. Makes no diff whatever anyone prefers calling them to me.
Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »