Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 09:39 AM

The curious incident of the dog in the night time

...or should that be morning time?

I have been having a little problem with Bo and sleeping in the last few months. For a little background information, she is a Slovakian Pointer and 8 1/2 months old.

My problem is that she will literally not sleep for more than 5-6 hours before barking to get up. This morning it was 5:30am. Now, three days a week, someone is up from 6:00-6:30am but even on these days she will barking from before 6:00am in anticipation. On the other four days me nor any of my family members have to get up that early (someone is usually up from 7:00am), which is where the problem comes in.

She sleeps in the kitchen, loose, with Dex the Lab. She has her bed, toys scattered around, and I also have D.A.P. diffuser plugged in. Her last toilet trip outside is at about 12:30am. Her last meal is at 5:30pm. She is lucky in that she is rarely left alone and gets plenty of exercise and stimulation during the day, so I do not think that is the issue. So I don't think it is much to ask for her to go until 12:30-7:00am without barking.

Unfortunately I cannot just let her bark as the neighbours have complained, and of course her bark is VERY loud and wakes everyone in the house up. Therefore I have to get up and see to her. Once I'm up I'm up so her behaviour isn't exactly conductive to a good nights sleep.

The night before last, in an attempt to keep her up and awake before bed, I walked her for 40 minutes off lead at about 10pm, played in the garden when we got back THEN did some clicker training, but she still barked at 5:45am.

I'm running out of ideas really. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I feel for you! Fluff has done the same but I've ignored as he was only doing woofs and whines instead of a full on bark.

The only thing I can suggest is to wary the feeding times slightly, try and feed later in the evening or give a snack later in the evening. This has worked for us. Now he gets breakfast any time from 8-12 with plenty of snacks and training treats during the day. His last meal is at about 7-8. So he doesn't have a routine really so he doesn't get too excited when he needs to get fed.
When he'd wake me up at 5.30 I'd take him out for a wee and give him a tripe stick and I'd go back to bed and he'd soon follow and settle.
Don't know if any of this will be of any use to you but it has worked for me!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
I feel for you! Fluff has done the same but I've ignored as he was only doing woofs and whines instead of a full on bark.

The only thing I can suggest is to wary the feeding times slightly, try and feed later in the evening or give a snack later in the evening. This has worked for us. Now he gets breakfast any time from 8-12 with plenty of snacks and training treats during the day. His last meal is at about 7-8. So he doesn't have a routine really so he doesn't get too excited when he needs to get fed.
When he'd wake me up at 5.30 I'd take him out for a wee and give him a tripe stick and I'd go back to bed and he'd soon follow and settle.
Don't know if any of this will be of any use to you but it has worked for me!
Hi

Feeding at a different time is something I thought about. She already gets fed 3 times a day (200 grams each time, so 600 grams a day) plus various treats though, so I can't think that she is starving. BUT I am going to try giving her a handful or two of her food right before bed to see if that helps. My hunch is that it is attention seeking behaviour though, not because she is starving.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah it probably is... but then how do you deal with it if she barks and have neighbours complaining if you ignore.... Hopefully someone else will shed some light!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Yeah it probably is... but then how do you deal with it if she barks and have neighbours complaining if you ignore.... Hopefully someone else will shed some light!
Exactly. I would have NO trouble whatsoever ignoring her barking; I have some very effective ear plugs. But that isn't going to happen for as long as we have neighbours.

Any other suggestions anyone? I can't surely have the only non-sleeping dog on Dogsey?? although saying that she is curled up asleep now.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Strangely we have been having exactly the same problem with Dizzy who is the same age! We have had some success with getting up and giving her a kong to occupy her for a little longer. However, I am on the verge of returning her crate to the side of my bed as so long as she can see I'm not up she leaves me alone and is quiet I will be waiting for answers with great interest!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry, can't really help just wanted to say that was a fab book
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2010, 04:43 PM
It could(?) be food related maybe. Dennis used to wake us by rattling the gate so we would get up for him. Someone on here (can't remember who but thank-you) suggested giving him supper (just keep back a bit of his tea). That was about 6 months ago and so far (touch wood) it seems to have done the trick - it may be worth a try!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Since she has company, toys etc., I assume it`s something waking her up (Milkman, people going to work?). Maybe you could try moving the dogs to another room and see if it still happens?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Sorry, can't really help just wanted to say that was a fab book
I was wasn't it!

Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
It could(?) be food related maybe. Dennis used to wake us by rattling the gate so we would get up for him. Someone on here (can't remember who but thank-you) suggested giving him supper (just keep back a bit of his tea). That was about 6 months ago and so far (touch wood) it seems to have done the trick - it may be worth a try!
Yes, I'm going to try and feed her some extra food before bed. Knowing what a madam she is I don't have my hopes up though!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Since she has company, toys etc., I assume it`s something waking her up (Milkman, people going to work?). Maybe you could try moving the dogs to another room and see if it still happens?
Milkman and Posties are out...we are lucky if they come before mid-day.

We live in a fairly quiet-ish area so it is not as if there is a hub of activity going on. Well, maybe at school-run hour, but certainly not at 5:30-6:00am! The kitchen is at the back of the house so I'm not sure it is noise that is waking her up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >