24-01-2010, 05:08 PM

What is best food for epileptic dog?

Any view re the above ?
thanks
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I think as high quality as possible is ideal; preferably no artificial stuff - colours, flavours, preservatives, etc.

Have you come across The Guardian Angels website? There is a wealth of information on there for epileptic dogs and owners:

canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels

I feed meat, raw bones fish, eggs, some veg, some fruit, a little potato but no grains. The meat is usually raw.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2010, 06:22 PM
`We have a very obliging butcher here, and when Snorri-dog was alive, the butcher used to mince all the leftover lamb scraps. Can't say for sure that this helped in itself, but in conjunction with his medication, he stayed fit-free for the last 7 years of his life, whereas he did have fits with commercial foods, even with his pills.

Snorri
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I agree with the avoiding colourings etc. Any good quality food shouldn't aggravate the condition,

rune
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2010, 06:56 PM
P.S. If giving titbits, avoid anything with salt in it. For instance, don't give crisps or other salty snacks. Snorri-dog used to adore crisps, but he had to do without for the rest of his life. It was heartbreaking to see him denied the crisps, but it would have been more so to have lost him to something which could have been prevented (in the end, we think it was a stroke that took him, without warning )

Snorri
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2010, 07:00 PM
thanks for tips- so orijen should be a good choice re complete dog food - all meat and veg - no cereals or grains additives etc. was voted best complete food etc.

thanks
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Put it on the other thread---not good for epileptic dogs because if has rosemary in it.

rune
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I agree with the avoiding colourings etc. Any good quality food shouldn't aggravate the condition,

rune
Agree with that too, as natural as possible, organic Raw i would go for personally.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
organic Raw i would go for personally.
See post about minced lamb. Cultivate your local butcher - after all, you'd be buying the bits he can't sell otherwise! When we were getting it, it was actually cheaper than commercial food!

Snorri
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2010, 09:45 PM
thanks all for info re rosemary. never knew this affected dogs with epilepsy; orijen does have this. so with that info feel i ought to put him onto food that doesnt have it, so either put back onto eukanuba or to jwb as it is hypo allergenic etc.

the eukanuba salt content worries me so may go to jwb.

thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >