register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I voted dual purpose, because that's what FCRs are.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
But then why does the breed standard differ in some major ways in breeds to how they are bred to be able to do what they were designed too? I believe it should be more of the opposite way in many cases, espcailly in breeds like the cocker, I mean can you imagine many show bred cockers being able to do a days work?
An example please.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
An example please.
What that many show type cocker Spaniels can't do the type of work that a Working type can't, cause I can't go to every show type and train them to do gun dog work and then use them in the field to see

But I do believe that the Standard should incorprate more of the working traits of the dogs, I mean look how different these dogs are,

working

Show

They could almost be different breeds of dogs, I just think that a breed standard should incorparate more of the dogs working ability, and what a working type dog looks like, rather then what we have decided that they should look like, which ok I know when the breeds were created people chose sizes etc and did select dogs for a varity of reasons, I just feel personally that working ability should come into the breed standard.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I voted working, as it is generally the working strain of a breed I like - border collies being the most obvious for me. The show bred collies look very "pretty" but seem to have lost the whole essence of what the breed should be about for me.

If you give me two examples of breeds which do have a split - such as beardies, cockers, springers, labs etc then I would most usually choose the working one over the show.

However, I do like the thought of dual purpose breeds, and there are some, such as the GWP.

In my first love, the GSD, if push came to shove I would choose a working line dog - but only if it had a longcoat
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:56 PM
What that many show type cocker Spaniels can't do the type of work that a Working type can't, cause I can't go to every show type and train them to do gun dog work and then use them in the field to see

But I do believe that the Standard should incorprate more of the working traits of the dogs, I mean look how different these dogs are,

working

Show

They could almost be different breeds of dogs, I just think that a breed standard should incorparate more of the dogs working ability, and what a working type dog looks like, rather then what we have decided that they should look like, which ok I know when the breeds were created people chose sizes etc and did select dogs for a varity of reasons, I just feel personally that working ability should come into the breed standard.
The working Cocker is a "type" more than a breed, they massively vary in size for starters. Many cannot be said to be remotely like a cocker at all in looks. Springers are the same. They are too far removed from the breed standard.

The show cocker you posted could work just like a working one could, thing is, it will never be given the opportunity to show it, nor ever be trained because of peoples preconception of what they "think" they are looking at.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I have voted for show type, but that is in my breed of English Setters as there is such a vast difference between the show and working lines.

My personal preference is for the larger frame and all that glamourous hair, my Bailey was from dual lines and I showed him very successfully and I don't doubt that any of mine could have done the job they were bred for, had they been given the correct training. The setters seem to have retained this instinct to set up birds and all my show stock did and still do this whenever there is an opportunity..the difference is that if they caught one, and they often did/do, they wouldn't release it, they would run off with it.

I totally agree with Dawn in that a breed should be able to perform the job they were originally bred for.

Tawny, my Pointer was from a mix of working and show lines but there isn't really any visable difference between them so I didn't include those in my vote.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Having gsds, gsp, and a hound, there was no option but to vote Working.
Handsome is as handsome does.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The working Cocker is a "type" more than a breed, they massively vary in size for starters. Many cannot be said to be remotely like a cocker at all in looks. Springers are the same. They are too far removed from the breed standard.

The show cocker you posted could work just like a working one could, thing is, it will never be given the opportunity to show it, nor ever be trained because of peoples preconception of what they "think" they are looking at.
Wouldn't like to groom it afterwards I just think that I am always going to be the person that prefers working type dogs, I like the variation, and I like how they are bred to do what they were originally, and I prefer it when dogs are bred worker to worker, and think that a dogs ability to work should IMO be in the forefront of all breedings, but then I suppose that this would be hard for many people who want pets though lol.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:23 PM
For Ben McFuzzyluggs
I know what you mean, but many people could not live with a true working collie - I would like to see a happy medium, especially in a domestic situation - otherwise both dog and owner can end up very unhappy if the working element is so strong.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Wouldn't like to groom it afterwards I just think that I am always going to be the person that prefers working type dogs, I like the variation, and I like how they are bred to do what they were originally, and I prefer it when dogs are bred worker to worker, and think that a dogs ability to work should IMO be in the forefront of all breedings, but then I suppose that this would be hard for many people who want pets though lol.
The problem lies with people altering a dogs appearance to the extreme. The working Cocker is almost unrecognisable in many cases as a Cocker Spaniel at all, and some Springers weigh MORE than Labradors! When we talk about fit for function, you should look at conformation. Take these photos below.

Do you think these exaggerated wide and bowed fronts are normal and/or should be encouraged? these are all working dogs, but if they were Bulldogs you can imagine how people would think how bowed and deformed they were, couldnt you?

From sites:
http://www.mailscotgundogs.co.uk/
http://www.countrywaysgundogs.com/
Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »