register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:30 PM
i voted working type, but then i can only talk for springers and cockers, the show types just don't do it for me, they always seem a bit hairy and a bit slow compared to their working cousins, i love the cheek and the temperament of the working springers and the fact that they never sit still
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I was just wondering what type do people prefer in breeds where there is a split, like the cocker or the lab? And why do you prefer this type.

I myself prefer the working type, I don't know why, I've just never really been a show dog person, even at shows surronded by dogs in a ring I would talk to them outside the ring as I have no real big intrest in seeing them show. But shown working dogs working I can't keep my eyes off them, and just the look I love, I always have, and would always choose a working type dog in the split breeds then I would a show.
I agree fully with the above. I too have no interest whatsoever in showing. I love GWP's but to see them trotting round a ring bores me silly but show me them working and i'm in awe. I do agree however with show type BC's, they are beautiful creatures compared to many from working lines.

It's something I noticed myself through watching Crufts etc and then I read an article in a doggy magazine which hit the nail on the head for me. It basically said that show dogs obviously conform largely to breed standard and yet too many are in poor physical fitness i.e they are a bit podgy and lack muscle definition and this is one thing judges seem to ignore.

I like beauty but I also like a dog which looks like it's fully capable of doing some real work.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I voted for working
From the breeds I have seen both of
Labs, Show labs far to stocky for me with giant heads and tend to get v fat, working dogs (I have seen) darker coat, leaner build with lots of muscle

Spanials - most types - Show ones have far to much coat - the standard is supposed to preserve the ability to work but these dogs have a coat that would need to much work - and the ear set makes them look a bit dim

Collies - The show ones tend to look like they fell out of the same mould, I dislike how they tend to be too heavy boned and are looking more like aussies, their heads are too domed and eyes too rounded making them look like puppies. Their coats are too full and difficult to keep
Working ones - Love love love the mixtured you can get - colour, coat, earset. In my mind the only think that the standard should say about a collie is the intensity and focus in the eye - every working dog I have seen has it - I havent seen a single dog in a show ring demonstrait it

Opps - sorry I will stop now
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:41 PM

On a v quick search - THATS what I mean
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I voted for working
From the breeds I have seen both of
Labs, Show labs far to stocky for me with giant heads and tend to get v fat, working dogs (I have seen) darker coat, leaner build with lots of muscle

Spanials - most types - Show ones have far to much coat - the standard is supposed to preserve the ability to work but these dogs have a coat that would need to much work - and the ear set makes them look a bit dim

Collies - The show ones tend to look like they fell out of the same mould, I dislike how they tend to be too heavy boned and are looking more like aussies, their heads are too domed and eyes too rounded making them look like puppies. Their coats are too full and difficult to keep
Working ones - Love love love the mixtured you can get - colour, coat, earset. In my mind the only think that the standard should say about a collie is the intensity and focus in the eye - every working dog I have seen has it - I havent seen a single dog in a show ring demonstrait it

Opps - sorry I will stop now
Well it wouldnt really in the ring would it?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:47 PM
With English setters I do prefer the show type(laveracks)... I like the bold heads, the coat and the fact they are a tad calmer than than their working (llewellin) counterparts... I know some ES kennels do combine show and workers, but I prefer the show... though would take a working ES rescue quite happily as they would keep me fit
As for the Pointer, mine is from show and work backgrounds and she could work quite easily as her dad and grandparents do....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 06:55 PM
They all should conform to the breed standard. IMO the working ones in many breeds do not.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They all should conform to the breed standard. IMO the working ones in many breeds do not.
But then why does the breed standard differ in some major ways in breeds to how they are bred to be able to do what they were designed too? I believe it should be more of the opposite way in many cases, espcailly in breeds like the cocker, I mean can you imagine many show bred cockers being able to do a days work?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I voted dual purpose - but then I keep flat coated retrievers who are truly dual purpose without any distinction in type (so far anyway). It is also good to give a dog something to do akin to what it was originally bred for, even if he/she is basically a companion dog. Most dogs enjoy exercising their brains and ability even in a small way. Keeps them out of mischief.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry - posted twice - didn't think first post worked.
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »