Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I actually quite like cropped ears.

Danes look great with cropped ears.

Do I agree with it.....no

Docked tails - I understand and have no problem with but I've no experience of breeds that have their ears 'done' so wouldn't know whether or not it's anything other than cosmetic.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 05:06 AM
I hate the look. They look disfigured, multilated, disgusting.

I used to work for a doc who did ear crops and its a brutal and horribly painful, long, drawn out process. I've seen it make a dog headshy for life, and afraid of the vets for life. Its barbaric and shouldn't be allowed anywhere end of.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
At that age when I was i njunior school I was livign in Birminghsm, West Midlands, UK. (Believe me, not from choice!)

Qutie a few people at the time had Dobies, Rotties and GSDs although they seemed to dminish in numbers and were called "devil dogs" when a few people got bitten (probably their own fault too).

Can I ask why? I can't really remember how things were in the dog world 25 years ago - only they dogs that we had. I just found it really odd that we had the ONLY dobie with natural ears.

Laura xx
Ear cropping in the UK has been banned for over 100 years so I find it odd that you were the only one that had a dog with natural ears as I doubt anyone would have found a vet to do it for them and it would have been obvious to the RSPCA that their ears had been removed.
As for the genetics thing as per the original post when ear cropping was banned it nearly wiped out the Bull Terrier but a few dedicated people set about breeding them with erect ears to the breed we have today so technically it is possible but it wont be an overnight thing it'll take decades!
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I am quite shocked that on a website of so-called dog lovers some people actually think cutting off half a dogs ear for costmetic reasons looks "fab". Sick.
I love the look of a good crop on a fabulous head...

Unfortunately most crops are atrocious... the after care being so intense , along with the skill of the vet

When you see a fabulous European head (Boxer) with a crop it is to die for....

In saying all that..would I do it to a pup of mine.... no, would I buy a cropped pup,,,,yes...
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
In saying all that..would I do it to a pup of mine.... no, would I buy a cropped pup,,,,yes...
That's an interesting statement Jackbox - just curious as to why you would buy a cropped pup but not do one of your own?

It's an interesting topic but I have to say I've NEVER seen a cropped eared dog (as in real life not on the telly)?! I must live in the wrong place

I'm not sure what I think about it to be honest. I suppose before I got my dobe and learnt about the breed, I thought it was a good look but then once I knew about the process they went through in order to get them to stand up I'm not sure the end justifies the means. I love my dobies silkl ears, they so add to the expressions he pulls!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I hate the look. They look disfigured, multilated, disgusting.

I used to work for a doc who did ear crops and its a brutal and horribly painful, long, drawn out process. I've seen it make a dog headshy for life, and afraid of the vets for life. Its barbaric and shouldn't be allowed anywhere end of.
There was a lady just down the road from us who imported a Doberman with cropped ears - unaware that she would not be able to show him in this country

He was a fabulous dog, but very head shy. Until I had an insight into the process I couldn't understand why. It surprises me that people are happy to put dogs through the process, especially with the after surgery problems as well.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Unnecessary surgery is abuse.

Fortunately the law protects your dogs from your predilections.
Oh shame, but of course if I wanted one I could still get one easily couldnt I?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Tye_Bo View Post
That's an interesting statement Jackbox - just curious as to why you would buy a cropped pup but not do one of your own?

Because I am a hypocrite on that subject.. have said it many times on this subject before... .

Would I inflict the operation and all it entails on a pup of mine..No ,

Would I import or take on a dog with cropped ears.... yes... ofcause I would..but I wouldn't , as you cant show them here

I also still prefer my Boxers docked... and would again on that note, buy one as preference.

Like I said, I love the look of a fabulous head with cropped
ears.... my girls daddy is an import.. he is cropped, and would I have given him a home on his retirement... yep, in an instant.

Here he is, and what a stunner !!

madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I love my Dobies floppy ears and wouldnt have her any other way, i personally think that to crop the ears gives a dog a much more agressive (some call it alert) look that isnt needed. If they were to selectively breed dobies with naturally erect ears to eventually get the desired ear set i would be fine with that but to put a dog through surgery and alot of aftercare that im sure isn't comfortable then no way- would still prefer to buy one with floppy ears though as they are so gorgeously soft and silky and my dog loves having them stroked.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
There was a lady just down the road from us who imported a Doberman with cropped ears - unaware that she would not be able to show him in this country

He was a fabulous dog, but very head shy. Until I had an insight into the process I couldn't understand why. It surprises me that people are happy to put dogs through the process, especially with the after surgery problems as well.
I just read that it can potentially takes up to 6 months for the ears to heal in some cases. 6 months of annoyance and pain for the dog to satisfy the owners cruel need for "beauty".
Page 5 of 26 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »