Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi,

We had a dobe when I was growing up (when I was about 10). He always had natural floppy ears.

When I attended the obedience class my parents took him to (dobes only) he was the ONLY one with natural ears. He looked the odd one out obviously, but so much better for it than the rest of them.

I'd always prefer natural ears for any dog, whether floppy or erect (maybe I shoudl rephrase that last bit!!)

Laura xx
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I love the natural ears, they are so expressive. When i take my dobie out we are stopped atleast once on every walk asking why his ears are funny!! and when am i getting them done!! Needless to say they get told the facts about how barbaric it is and how he is never getting his ears done!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I also like the cropped (and docked) look on a Dobe, I think it makes them look really alert. I can't really condone it though
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I like the cropped look to, love it on great danes,
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

We had a dobe when I was growing up (when I was about 10). He always had natural floppy ears.
Where did you grow up?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I like the cropped look to, love it on great danes,
So do I, think it looks fab!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by mumof5 View Post
I love the natural ears, they are so expressive. When i take my dobie out we are stopped atleast once on every walk asking why his ears are funny!! and when am i getting them done!! Needless to say they get told the facts about how barbaric it is and how he is never getting his ears done!!
mumof5, where in Sheffield are you?? I'm in Sheffield too and we rarely see dobies!

I was surprised at your comment at first (as it's not even legal to do it here and I thought it was a long time since it was) but then, we have been asked how many spots the dallies have and where the other 99 are so I think most of the Sheffield folk go on what they see in the films!

Labradork - I'm sorry I was only responding with what I had read, didn't say I agreed with it - to me it wouldn't be any more difficult to grab a cropped ear than a floppy one but then I've never touched a crop ear and thought perhaps it was.

Either way I was trying to offer an alternative answer and not condoning the practice.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't like it at all. I like a dog to be natural. I think cropping is barbaric and makes them look weird. I love Dobes, but as they should be, not altered.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
mumof5, where in Sheffield are you?? I'm in Sheffield too and we rarely see dobies!

I was surprised at your comment at first (as it's not even legal to do it here and I thought it was a long time since it was) but then, we have been asked how many spots the dallies have and where the other 99 are so I think most of the Sheffield folk go on what they see in the films!

Labradork - I'm sorry I was only responding with what I had read, didn't say I agreed with it - to me it wouldn't be any more difficult to grab a cropped ear than a floppy one but then I've never touched a crop ear and thought perhaps it was.

Either way I was trying to offer an alternative answer and not condoning the practice.
Mumof5's Dobes ears are not cropped Lottie, they just dont lie correct, what many refer to as "handle bar" ears, they stick out rather than lie close to the head as they should.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So do I, think it looks fab!!
Looks like we are in the minority!
Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »