Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I heard that one... mind it was the only one I heard over the 3 days of being at the show...

How do you know those dogs are on their own...do you define that because there is no one sitting with them

How do you know that the person talking to someone a couple of benches down from the dog on its own, is not the owner??

Are you saying , that whole rows of benches have no people around.??

As that can be the only way you can know that the dogs are left alone.
Well, put is this way, had I been an anti-show person, I felt I could've easily sabotaged dogs that had no one watching over them, like feed them a poisoned treat etc. There were some dogs on their own in a whole row nearer the end of the day. Too risky for the dogs not to have such close supervision, IMO.

Please do not attack me, this is just my opinion based on what I saw.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Well, put is this way, had I been an anti-show person, I felt I could've easily sabotaged dogs that had no one watching over them, like feed them a poisoned treat etc. There were some dogs on their own in a whole row nearer the end of the day. Too risky for the dogs not to have such close supervision, IMO.

I agree with you. I didn't see it at the Flat Coat rings...but I did see it elsewhere and you are right, one announcement is an announcemnet too many.

Jackbox I do think you are either being naive or over sensitive...of course there were dogs left on their own that weren't happy...it was obvious.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I agree with you. I didn't see it at the Flat Coat rings...but I did see it elsewhere and you are right, one announcement is an announcemnet too many.

Jackbox I do think you are either being naive or over sensitive...of course there were dogs left on their own that weren't happy...it was obvious.
No, not being either.

Of-cause some dogs will have no one with them at some point of other... but , and I am only going from experience , that almost all of the dogs will have someone keeping an eye on them... even if that eye is not right in front of them.

Funny you say that about the flat coats... I past them a few times, and I think I could say, that if you where not aware, you might think some where left alone.

Of cause with such a big show, you will get a small minority of people who may not be as vigalent as others.. but you will get that in all walks of dog life.

And to be honest.. when you sit around the benches or ring for long enough... if you where the type to leave your dogs for long periods , leaving others to deal with noisy / stressed dogs, you will not be popular with other competitions.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I feel some people are 'protesting too much' It really can't be denied that there are some breeds that just aren't healthy - how about a breed that pretty much never gives birth naturally - is that healthy????

There are most definately breed flaws, I have worked at a vets for over 14 years and seen them with my own eyes - too many for it to be a coincidence. Hopefully she has brought this to the publics attention enough to force some improvements - whether the cases she highlighted were show or pet bred, the problems ARE there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N

[/QUOTE]

Was not attacking you, just pointing out my opinion.

Just as a matter of interest..While sitting watching the Boxers today.. someone tried to do exactly that ( not poison a dog ) but went up to a benched dog who you may have thought had not one with it... the dog was relaxing.. and this woman and her child went to pet it and the kid was about to feed the dog , some of his burger..

I dont know if it was the owner... but believe me, she was down on this woman like a ton of bricks... the child did not get the chance to feed the dog.. and they went off very disgruntled.

But you are right, someone with intentions could do just as you suggest.

Sadly this year, I have never seen so many dogs padlocked into cages , completey covered up...

Its a shame when people have to take such actions , to safeguard their dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
No, not being either.

Of-cause some dogs will have no one with them at some point of other... but , and I am only going from experience , that almost all of the dogs will have someone keeping an eye on them... even if that eye is not right in front of them.

Funny you say that about the flat coats... I past them a few times, and I think I could say, that if you where not aware, you might think some where left alone.

Of cause with such a big show, you will get a small minority of people who may not be as vigalent as others.. but you will get that in all walks of dog life.

And to be honest.. when you sit around the benches or ring for long enough... if you where the type to leave your dogs for long periods , leaving others to deal with noisy / stressed dogs, you will not be popular with other competitions.

I didn't say they weren't left alone I said they didn't look bored.

In fairness you can't be keeping an eye on a dog if it is 2 a few benches away and you are watching the rings and talking...as Westie N said people should have been more careful.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post
I feel some people are 'protesting too much' It really can't be denied that there are some breeds that just aren't healthy - how about a breed that pretty much never gives birth naturally - is that healthy????

There are most definately breed flaws, I have worked at a vets for over 14 years and seen them with my own eyes - too many for it to be a coincidence. Hopefully she has brought this to the publics attention enough to force some improvements - whether the cases she highlighted were show or pet bred, the problems ARE there.
Superb post.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post

Excellent post.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 10:14 PM
People will see what they want to see...

If you want to see a bored dog you will see one.

Personally over the 3 days I was there, I saw many dogs , some sleeping , some sitting wrapped up in children, some in pens with other dogs , some bored ones... but I am just looking at one of mine laying on the sofa.. he has that bored look on his face that would give any of those dogs a run for their money.

As for the noisy ones... some dog are just noisy..and it can also breed persific...go round the Mal/Husky pens...and you will hear noise..

I can, believe me, no dog is just left on their own... shoe people know each other, someone will be keeping an eye on other peoples dogs..

Don't forget , while you where going round the show looking and feeling sorry for all these poor dogs left on benches..

Ask your self why they have to spend so long on those benches... from 8a,m till 4 pm.

So WE the public can go round and view all these poor dogs.

At any other show in the country , a dog can go home as soon as it has shown.

But then, there would be no dogs for US to go and feel sorry for if they could be taken out sooner.
This is exactly what I was thinking reading through this post.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-03-2009, 10:23 PM
People will see what they want to see...

If you want to see a bored dog you will see one.

Personally over the 3 days I was there, I saw many dogs , some sleeping , some sitting wrapped up in children, some in pens with other dogs , some bored ones... but I am just looking at one of mine laying on the sofa.. he has that bored look on his face that would give any of those dogs a run for their money.

As for the noisy ones... some dog are just noisy..and it can also breed persific...go round the Mal/Husky pens...and you will hear noise..

I can, believe me, no dog is just left on their own... shoe people know each other, someone will be keeping an eye on other peoples dogs..

Don't forget , while you where going round the show looking and feeling sorry for all these poor dogs left on benches..

Ask your self why they have to spend so long on those benches... from 8a,m till 4 pm.

So WE the public can go round and view all these poor dogs.

At any other show in the country , a dog can go home as soon as it has shown.

But then, there would be no dogs for US to go and feel sorry for if they could be taken out sooner.
Well said Jackbox and I would just like to add that at the Borzoi benches just like Ramble said about the FCR benches I did not see any unhappy dogs, tired yes , as when it got to around 3pm it had been a long day for them and where I was sitting there were no borzois left on their own.
Page 5 of 28 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »