Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Layla and Malka calm down , and look at what was said, tbh I think that theres been a bit of a misunderstanding here.

Have you not heard the expression, "dont shoot the messenger" , me thinks you just put yourself in front of the firing squad

Getting back to the original post, I will ask the same question as Tupacs2legs , how did the puppy manage to bite your lip.

Given his history , why was he so near your face, which I guess /suspect is what Layla was getting at?
Meg
Supervisor

06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by juleze View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm still having issues with Max biting me.
He's bitten me on my arm, my fore arm, and even my lower lip.
I've tried the 'no bite' and turn my back on him, and it seemed to slow down a while, but lately (he's 9 days from becoming 6 months old) he's continued.

Few days back, I was running a fever, am Max bit me, I came by reflex, I almost smacked him a bit, but was able to restrain myself.
I don't know what to do to make him stop , before it becomes an unstoppable habit.

Please I'll appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.
Hi Julia I am not really surprised you are having a problem with playbiting considering the age Max was when removed from the dam and the 'mixed messages' he received from first being allowed to bite and early training.

In your previous thread people have describing how it is possible to teach your puppy not to bite but as explained it takes time/patience and consistency to teach this and everyone who comes into contact with your puppy needs to observe the same training method .

I would read through the previous thread and start again with training bite inhibition ...
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=148956
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Julia I am not really surprised you are having a problem with playbiting considering the age Max was when removed from the dam and the 'mixed messages' he received from first being allowed to bite and early training.

I would read through the previous thread and start again with training bite inhibition ...
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=148956
how I do agree, everyone needs to be "singing from the same hymn-sheet"when it comes to rearing puppies.

i have never ever been a fan of squealing or saying no in training bite inhibition. I do what adult dogs do when puppies step over the mark, walk away(I don't do a low guttural growl very well, but if I could mimic the adult dog's sound I would)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
i have never ever been a fan of squealing or saying no in training bite inhibition. I do what adult dogs do when puppies step over the mark, walk away(I don't do a low guttural growl very well, but if I could mimic the adult dog's sound I would)
Lol, I tend to grunt and walk away. Not intentionally trying to mimic a dog, just a sort of "uh" and walk off. Didn't realise I was doing it till it got pointed out to me
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
The puppy is biting because it is being treated like a toy and carried around.

And because I have dared to say such, I think it is best that I leave Dogsey.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The puppy is biting because it is being treated like a toy and carried around.

And because I have dared to say such, I think it is best that I leave Dogsey.
Wtf Calm down,havnt a clue why u r throwing ur toys out the pram
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Have you no idea what the problem is? They are treating the puppy like a toy, carrying him around when he does not want to be carried and so he bites?

Read her previous posts.

The puppy is treated like a toy. Not as a dog.

And the puppy bites.

No tut tut do not do that dear.

And you tell me I am throwing toys out of the pram?

Of course the puppy bites. He wants to be put down, not carried about like a dolly.

And I want out of here. Not throwing toys. Just thought I was with adults. Pity I was so mistaken.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
My favourite - is to teach the dog that skin is for licking. Rub frozen butter on your skin and praise him for licking it, do this a few times a week - or as much as needed (he's a small dog people don't mind as much as a big slobbery tongue) if you do it too much then he could become OCD about licking skin - which in some respects is annoying but so much better than biting.

When he goes to bite you - give him a tug toy or other toy - show him that he can bite those but not you.

Another thing - he's teething, soak a rope toy in chicken soup and freeze it overnight - then the next day - give it him and he will chew for hours, the cold will ease his gums and the rope will hopefully pull out any loose teeth..

I'd carry on with the turning your back on him, yelping when he bites you too - as a puppy would when it's brothers and sisters bite too hard.. praise him for licking skin and also for chewing his toys rather than your hands..
Licking my skin? Oh! i love him doing that a lot. I'll try that method.

About the rope toy, I can't get one till I get to the UK later this month.
Thanks a bunch.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello friends, in addition to what I wrote, yesterday, I went along with Max to a former neighbour's house (with his leash...never without it, cause he would catch his fun by dribbling me till he's tired ).
On getting there, I asked for the music to be turned low 'cause he was frightened, and she obliged. He later got used to the environment, and her baby of about 10months found Max fascinating. I sat with the baby on my laps cuz I wanted to monitor him to ensure he didn't nip his feet (I didn't think he would, but i wanted to be careful), he just smelled his feet, and took a lick, and then lay down. i later realised he was jealous cuz the moment I placed the baby down, he jumped on my laps

Do you think he could bite a baby, despite not being aggressive?

About 30 minutes later, he started biting me hard with his teeth, so that I quickly placed him down, so that the lady wouldn't get scared. This further made me determined to ensure he stops biting, as it could be quite embarrassing.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I have to agree with this I think teaching a dog to bite so he learns not effective as one might think.

Millie has teethed all ready and she is bitting again im finding the best thing that worked for her last time was to tuck my arms and turn away or remove myself from the room was the best way to get her to stop bitting. The minute she makes contact with my arm I turn away and this works.

If your going to show a dog how hard to bite a tug toy is the worsed thing to stick in its mouth as its hard! Use a softer toy maybe.
When I turn my back at him, he just goes away and jumps on his toy, so it's not that effective
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »