View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd walk out for 10-30 seconds every single time he did it. Squealing with my dog got him even more worked up and made him bite harder.

I'd redirect Rupert onto a toy if he wasn't too frenzied, was nothing to do with teaching him how hard to bite, simply teaching him what was appropriate for him to have in his mouth and what wasn't.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
And your point is?

Squealing with a six month pup will excite it even more and think "wow gOod game,I bite they squeak like a toy(or prey)..making it rewarding in itself.
The point is that this puppy was carried around by the young sister of the OP and the first time the OP posted was because the puppy had drawn blood by biting her sister.

The puppy is now six months old and is still biting.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:55 PM
If the OP does not wish to yelp or squeal each time the pup bites, then she should say 'no' very firmly and either turn her back or walk away for a minute or more.

And everyone else that lives in the house has to do it also. The key is to be consistent. It's no good only doing it sometimes or most of the time - it has to be done every single time.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Lennon used to nip and still does occasionally when he's very excited.

My response was to shout OW very loudly and turn away. It works a treat.

Good luck.....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Mojo being a terrier used to do this, alot around 3/4 months of age.. especially when you were talking and she would suddenly go for the chin, I didn't use the yelp or squeal I used the AHHHHHHHHH!!! and did it very firmly, then she was told ''Off'' (very firmly), so she was put on the floor and ignored for a few minutes. She soon got the message that this behaviour was not acceptable, same with hands arms etc.,
Maybe go right back to basic training with your training, I wouldn't allow face or hand licking until your puppy learns biting is not acceptable.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2011, 05:33 AM
Before I am shot down in flames, please read the OPs statement about how the then six week old puppy started biting:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=148956

Why the hell I apologised to Tupacs I do not know.

The puppy was carried about by a young girl, bit from when he first arrived, and I have to apologis to Tupacs for something I said?

The puppy bites because it has been treated as if he is a doll. He does not know he is a dog.

The puppy will carry on biting because he does not know he is a dog because he is not treated as a dog.

He is treated as a play thing. A toy.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

Good luck.....
Always works for me
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

Good luck.....
yep - this is what I did with the pups.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Before I am shot down in flames, please read the OPs statement about how the then six week old puppy started biting:

The puppy was carried about by a young girl, bit from when he first arrived, and I have to apologis to Tupacs for something I said?

The puppy bites because it has been treated as if he is a doll. He does not know he is a dog.

The puppy will carry on biting because he does not know he is a dog because he is not treated as a dog.

Ok....now malka I know u are stressed. But leave me out of your rantings!!!!! I never asked you to apologise,I don't know why u apologised!! And yeah I'm gonna shoot u down for dragging me into a load of bs!!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Layla and Malka calm down , and look at what was said, tbh I think that theres been a bit of a misunderstanding here.

....Good advice...except the squealing,imo that makes it worse exp after the 'tiny puppy' stage.

Eta...how did a tiny dog manage to bite your lip? What was u doing?
This pup has been a biter since the OP first posted.
And your point is?

Squealing with a six month pup will excite it even more and think "wow gOod game,I bite they squeak like a toy(or prey)..making it rewarding in itself.
The point is that this puppy was carried around by the young sister of the OP and the first time the OP posted was because the puppy had drawn blood by biting her sister.

The puppy is now six months old and is still biting.
......Yes,hence the op posting
So why ask what my point was?
Because I did not see the relevance of you quoting me with your reply...hence why I asked....I still dont
I am sorry. I apologise. Please forgive me.
Now I'm really confuzzed silly malka xx

Ok....now malka I know u are stressed. But leave me out of your rantings!!!!! I never asked you to apologise,I don't know why u apologised!! And yeah I'm gonna shoot u down for dragging me into a load of bs!!!
From what I can see Tupacs was just trying to say that squeling can be a bad idea and can excite a dog more, rather then getting it to stop the unwanted behaviour (have to say though I always squeal, but deal more with adult dogs lol), Malka was trying to explain about the squeling, and maybe how it got to biting the lip, as it was use to being carried around, and that it had been a biter, prob more a nipper since the person got it, then it all went to pot, but calm down dears, its only a forum , lets just take it as Tupacs feels that squeling is a bad idea, Malka don't, and Malkas trying to explain that the pups been biting for a while, and use to being carried around, and maybe that they've tried squeeling for a while, theres no need to fall out (I mean its not like one doesn't like the lion man is it? Sorry something from my life there ) but lets get back to the thread, and try to kiss and make up?

Anyway I think that you have been given some good advice from others, but for each dog its different, so I would try something for a while, and get everyone to do the same thing, and make sure that everyone knows the rules, and that everyone is clear and consistant at all times.
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »