View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I also want to add I am very glad the show was created because I previously knew about inherited diseases before it was on, but if I ever wanted to tell someone about what I knew I doubt my wisdom would get far. For example I know someone who loves cavalier King Charles Spaniels, she doesn't have one though. If she ever decided to buy one I know with a certainty that anything I said about the dreadful inherited diseases would not really hit home, and I would be seen as being condescending and trying to tell her what to do. I am pretty sure she would just get one cheap, one she had seen in the paper, and if she remembered what I'd said hope for the best or make up a reason in her mind why it was not really that bad since from personal experiences she's never known of any with the illnesses.

Hopefully now, some of the normal everyday dog owners will understand, because they'll listen to the telly. I mean I know someone with a labrador which they got from a guy down the road, and he was looking stiff on his back legs. I mentioned he might have bad hips.. To many people dogs are just dogs- They didn't know Labs could get it, they thought that it was German Shepherds that got it. This person was very nice and interested about it, but doubt they have taken it really on board. So this programme could really help millions of dogs stuck with people who just don't know anything about dogs and won't really want to listen to people like me or you.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Wouldn't it be great if a breeder that was found to breed from a dog with a genetic disease, it would be seen as animal cruelty and they would be banned for life from owning dogs.
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
DNA Test Control Scheme For Irish Red & White Setters
19-Jun-08

The Kennel Club would like to remind all breeders of Irish Red & White Setters that new rules regarding the DNA Control Scheme for CLAD (Canine Leucocyte Adhesion Deficiency) for the breed are now in place.

As agreed by the Irish Red & White Setter Breed Clubs and the Kennel Club, the Kennel Club will now refuse registration of Irish Red & White Setter puppies unless both parents have been tested clear of CLAD, or are hereditarily clear of CLAD.

No Irish Red & White Setter carriers of CLAD will be registered after 16th June 2008.

OK, cheers. This is a breed thing, but for other dogs, you don't have to get a specific result in order to be part of the RB Scheme.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
these sort of people should be shot at dawn.

i just hope the buying public do their homework and ASK the see the certificate as proof.
but even then its been known that these are swopped about.
in reality we dont know what were buying.
I think your point is spot on.....paperwork is swopped by bad breeders and nobody except the owners would know....it happens all the time from what i hear.

You go to a show, the dogs coat has been cut in a certain way to hide (as best as possible) faults....drops are put into the dogs eyes (to brighten them i believe) before they enter the ring, i have heard of nails being coloured....etc etc unfortunately these things do go on by bad breeders in championship shows.

A judge is friendly with certain owners and they know before they enter they will be placed....alot of things imo are a bit of a joke. It is such a shame really.

Have to say that there are very good breeders out there, but sometimes it would be easy to think that a bad breeder is very good on the face of it.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Wouldn't it be great if a breeder that was found to breed from a dog with a genetic disease, it would be seen as animal cruelty and they would be banned for life from owning dogs.

Yes if the KNOWINGLY bred from a dog with a genetic disorder> edited to say I would prefer they be ordered to spey/neuter rather than banning them from owning dogs, otherwise the dogs they own would need rehoming.

Mo
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post

What are everyone elses views on the statement that "animals with genetic issues should be banned from dog shows"? Whilst this sounds like a good idea in theory, it would be horrendous to put into practice, where would you draw the line?
If you did that most all show dogs would disappear from the ring overnight. The problem lies within breed standards and judging, if you proclaim the freaky dog the winner then more will follow.

Showing should be more about what the dog was intended for and fitness and health. Personally if my Doberman inadvertantly tears the judges arm off for touching his balls, well, what can a say, he was guarding guv'nor honest.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
God & what about those hind Legs on the GSDs, terrible
Sadly this is the only thing I know about personally & the young dogs were weak in hock mainly due to imaturity, the dog they showed & commented from at Crufts is from a country where no dogs are allowed to be registered from unless their parents have had health checks for all diseases which are currently able to be tested for & are known in the breed, all these dogs when adults have to pass working tests as well as breed tests before they are shown or bred from & their governing body even dictate which lines can be mated together & how many studs each dog is allowd a year. Because of this it made me wonder all the way through what else was inaccurate though some things like the culling of ridgebacks left me horrified, & was obviously true.
Some of the dogs in distress were horendous but having had a friend who has just lost her crossbreed to an auto imune disease & seeing my nieces distress at her rescue mongrel being diagnosed with a heart murmer I'm still not sure how much of all these problems is design & how much modern living.
I know it would have made the programme different but I would have liked more scientific backed up statements & less dictatorial entreshed attitudes on both sides.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
OK, cheers. This is a breed thing, but for other dogs, you don't have to get a specific result in order to be part of the RB Scheme.
your welcome.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
If a breeder is prepared to breed from a dog that has a genetic disorder, not allowing them to show wont make any difference IMO they will still continue to breed

Mo
It would if they could then not be KC registered.

Any such pup would not be so attractive to a prospective owner and therefore it would would deter the breeder from doing this in the first place. After all, registered pups go for quite a price.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Yes if the KNOWINGLY bred from a dog with a genetic disorder> edited to say I would prefer they be ordered to spey/neuter rather than banning them from owning dogs, otherwise the dogs they own would need rehoming.

Mo
thats exactly what my other half said. And quite right too.
Page 12 of 65 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 62 > Last »