Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2008, 10:07 PM

Finnish Lapphund herding sheep

Thought I would share the most recent antics of my FL Ilo. She is 2.5 years and has been successful in the ring, obedience and agility. Her favourite occupation by a long way, however is herding sheep. In the past 9 months she has graduated from complete novice to moving more than 200 sheep through a series of up to 6 fields on Romney and Wallend Marshes in Sussex.
For those not familiar with the breed, they were originally used to herd reindeer for the nomadic Sami people of Finnish Lappland. They are an exceptionally social breed that feel it is their mission in life to investigate everything....dogs and people at a distance on a walk is a breed trait. I have found the herding training has improved my distance control hugely and local farmers are now pretty favourable in their comments about her abilities. One actually selects Ilo over a BC
I have some wonderful shots of her working ....as soon as I can fathom out the posting of images I shall upload some to share.
Out of interest Ilo is from show stock not the 'working' FL lines. Does anyone else use more unusual breeds for herding? Apparently one farmer locally uses Sammies but I've yet to locate him (haven't heard the yapping so not that close!)

Mary
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Mary. I've heard of a few people using Lapphunds on sheep, here in UK and in the States. I am impressed that you've accomplished this.... Lappunds do have a very different working style and are a lot more.... eh independant Well done.

I've got 3 oldies BTW
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Thank you Pod. I do feel much of our success is down to her general disposition. She was always a chilled out, biddable pup, just like her parents, who was quickly the demo dog at obedience and agility. Thus, when meeting sheep she was interested and drove them on but absolutely not hyperactive and yippy. I was also spurred on to continue as we are surrounded by sheep here and I wanted her to be safe and enjoy the environment we have. A few initial but very spiked comments from farmers who train BCs also fuelled me no end...amazing what a little antagonism can do!
Most of my joy comes from watching her work, she is focussed and a very content girl at home.
The independence hasn't proved so much of an issue, but I laugh daily at the tipped head listening to an instruction before executing, after a pause. If you have 3 you'll know where I'm coming from! Special dogs.
Mary
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I think you've got a point on individual temperaments. My two males couldn't be more different and actually Hamish, homebred, now 12.5 years isn't that unlike a Collie temperament.

My other dog Odin is an import, so I didn't get him until 13 months old. He's so much more the jolly fool and loves everyone equally... just totally idependent!

I think there is a wide variation in the breed but on the whole they're much more trainable than your average spitz.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Good to hear about your boys.
The trainability aspect has recently paid huge dividends...just recently out of hospital, I had no worries about her maintaining her condition while on heat: just rang our local farmer and offered her services moving sheep. A very useful arrangement for all, that got me out of a fix.
I do find they have the attention span of a gnat at times though and several times have contemplated using superglue between the pads in the ring!
Mary
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Good to hear about your boys.
The trainability aspect has recently paid huge dividends...just recently out of hospital, I had no worries about her maintaining her condition while on heat: just rang our local farmer and offered her services moving sheep. A very useful arrangement for all, that got me out of a fix.
I do find they have the attention span of a gnat at times though and several times have contemplated using superglue between the pads in the ring!
Mary

Ah nothing wrong with a bit of fidgeting in the ring... far better than a statue
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 11:22 PM
sounds really interesting.. don't think i've ever seen anything but a collie herd, so would love to see some pictures.. there's nothing like a dog in its field!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
TA few initial but very spiked comments from farmers who train BCs also fuelled me no end...amazing what a little antagonism can do!
Most of my joy comes from watching her work, she is focussed and a very content girl at home.
The independence hasn't proved so much of an issue, but I laugh daily at the tipped head listening to an instruction before executing, after a pause. If you have 3 you'll know where I'm coming from! Special dogs.
Mary
Sounds fab I would love to see photos of her working. I just work boring old collies on our blackies and would love to see another breed working sheep.

I am assuming her style will be very different to that of a border collie? Can you describe it, as I have never seen a FL working. Thanks.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks Moobli and MSE2ponder

I am working on the uploading, seems inordinately complex but more likely just another method to grasp.....

In terms of working style it appears less fluid than a BC. This is most likely due to the FLs' natural gait of a gallop rather than a fast trot. If and when photos appear(!) it is obvious that not many (if any) of her paws are on the ground much of the time. I can accommodate this when herding by moving her around at a greater distance from the sheep (so they remain calm) than you would a BC, as well as relying much more on the use of a down, as FLs don't really seem as able to creep forward. Actually I'm pretty amazed at her seemingly natural ability to move sheep off a fence without splitting them. I never taught her that, but she has the skill.
The FL herds by droving, and as I understand it can be quite vocal on the move. Ilo is not at all noisy and only vocalises if the sheep are playing up!
In terms of behaviour conformation there are other differences too, but I'm not sure how breed specific they are as opposed to individual variation. If we accept that herding is merely an attenuated hunting sequence, certainly Ilo has the eye-stalk but it is much less pronounced. I have never seen her attempt to grab-bite either, but again this may be individual or a survival adaptation to steer clear of reindeer hooves and antlers?
Hope this makes sense, can elaborate on latter if needed.
Mary
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Finally, I have figured out the pics....hope it works. Added a relaxing one at the end too.....
Mary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >