Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JAG007
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Scootering

I have recently bought myself a Pawtrekker full suspension scooter for myself and Staffordshire Bull Terriers to have some fun with.

I am totally new to this sport so i was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips and hints for me to get my dogs going ? I can at present cycle with 3 of my dogs with two up front to the right, the pull slightly if let them so i am hoping they will pull the scooter more naturally .

I am also wondering if anyone cam recommend any good harness's for my breed or just good harness's in general for this sport. I have some fleece harness's (Perfect Fit one's) which i thought i could use until i get my dogs going ( i am only 8 stone so i don't think it will cause too much stress for two of my dogs to pull me alone with my help scooting) and then i will look into buying a proper one for each of my dogs that take to the sport.

Also if anyone can recommend any good places to Scooter in the Stoke on Trent area i would be very grateful

Thank you in advance
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Am impressed! am not brave enough doing canix with my dobe is hair raising enough!

Id prob give someone at snowpawstore a call or somewhere like that and ask for their advice? if you look at cani cross trailrunners webbo they have canix 'meets' in various places so am sure you would be welcome on yah scooter?

Bet your staffords will be in their element
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Good luck bet you'll love it... Don't know about harness but staffs do weight pull events so there must be pull harnesses for them. I get a lot of my gear from innerwolf they may be worth a google

And if it doesn't work out pm me me I might take that scooter off your hands
JAG007
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Good luck bet you'll love it... Don't know about harness but staffs do weight pull events so there must be pull harnesses for them. I get a lot of my gear from innerwolf they may be worth a google

And if it doesn't work out pm me me I might take that scooter off your hands

I have seen staffords do it and they look to have so much fun. I have 5 SBT's and i reckon at least 4 of mine will take to it - fingers crossed

I willhave a look at Innerwolf, i know the online store, bought from them before so will have a look at the harness's they offer

Thank you

Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
hi

it really should be a specific harness that distributes the weight correctly.

your best bet is an x-back harness used by sled dogs or something similar.
you will prob need to get them exp made but they dont cost the earth

i would also be a bit careful with sbt's as they can overheat quickly because of their conformation
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
X back harnesses won't be ideal for Staffs because of the size of them - I'd get the Manmatt harnesses from Snowpaw store where the line will attach at a better spot ...

If you email Snowpaw they will advise you.

Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
X back harnesses won't be ideal for Staffs because of the size of them - I'd get the Manmatt harnesses from Snowpaw store where the line will attach at a better spot ...

thats why i said something specific..it scares me people will use 'normal' harness thats all.
JAG007
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi

it really should be a specific harness that distributes the weight correctly.

your best bet is an x-back harness used by sled dogs or something similar.
you will prob need to get them exp made but they dont cost the earth

i would also be a bit careful with sbt's as they can overheat quickly because of their conformation

Thank you for the advice.

I know and hear what you are saying about SBT's over heating but i am one of those people who don't like the shorter muzzled dogs that can't breath. All my dogs (KC) have the correct ration of muzzle to skull so can breath and run unlike many i have seen - SOme breeders lead a lot to be desired for !!

I am also very anal when it comes to my dogs and take real good care of them especially in the warmer weather with all of them have Ruffwear Swamp Coat Coolers to wear when it gets extra hot for any dog

Here is my boy that i intend to do it with

and here is one of my youngsters who is only just 8 months so when she is old enough she all being well will do it also

JAG007
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post

Thank you

I will do that now
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
what gorgeous fit dogs!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >