Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Dilemma – dogs packing up together!

I regulary walk my two dogs with another person and their dog. Their dog is a good dog with one exception, it barks at other dogs on leads.

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a change in my own dogs behaviour when the other dog is around.

An example is, last night I was waiting on the field for my friend and their dog. A boxer pup come on with a guy on lead and my two went over (they were both on leads) had a good stiff and all was fine.

Then my friend turned up with their dog who started barking at the boxer pup on lead. This then set Buster off barking and trying to lunge at the pup, then Coles starts.

My dogs never behaviour like this when it is just us around other dogs, it is always when the other dog is present and I feel as though they are packing up together.

The dilemma is, What can I do? I am helping her with the training to try and stop their dog from barking at other dogs and I know it will take time for the training to work.

I dont want to have to stop walking with this person as Buster and their dog get on great and are always playing together.

What can I do? any advice appreicated.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I think the answer is to be more pro-active with your own dogs.
This does happen to me sometimes and I call my dogs to me and put them in a sit, or walk away and call them to heel. So my dogs don`t have the chance to join in the bad behaviour.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think the answer is to be more pro-active with your own dogs.
This does happen to me sometimes and I call my dogs to me and put them in a sit, or walk away and call them to heel. So my dogs don`t have the chance to join in the bad behaviour.
last night I ended up asking them to sit and look at me. then my friends dog started again, so I said to the boxer owner, I thinks it best I moved on and walked away and left my friend to catch up with me.

Thanks for the advice .
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a change in my own dogs behaviour when the other dog is around.

An example is, last night I was waiting on the field for my friend and their dog. A boxer pup come on with a guy on lead and my two went over (they were both on leads) had a good stiff and all was fine.

What you mean is that you AND your dogs went over to the other pup as your dogs were on leads do you not?

ps having a stiffie is probably not conducive to good canine relations

Then my friend turned up with their dog who started barking at the boxer pup on lead. This then set Buster off barking and trying to lunge at the pup, then Coles starts.

My dogs never behaviour like this when it is just us around other dogs, it is always when the other dog is present and I feel as though they are packing up together.

Yes they are which is why so many of us recommend that owners do not get a second dog until the first one is well trained so that they do not learn bad habits!

The dilemma is, What can I do? I am helping her with the training to try and stop their dog from barking at other dogs and I know it will take time for the training to work.

What methods are you using to help her dog train her dog not to bark?

What advice do you give to this owner when her dog sees another dog/barks at another dog?

I dont want to have to stop walking with this person as Buster and their dog get on great and are always playing together.

What can I do? any advice appreicated.
Er make sure that you advise your friend with the problem dog not to enter the trigger zone?

And do not approach other dogs whilst with your friend.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Yes they are which is why so many of us recommend that owners do not get a second dog until the first one is well trained so that they do not learn bad habits!

SB-Im sorry but I dont get this. Coles, 11 is well trained, buster is almost well trained. this other dogs starts the barking (my friends dog), which then started the boxer off and then Buster follows suit with the barking and then because buster starts barking, Coles sticks with buster. This has happend on three occasions during the last few weeks. of all the 11 years (nearly 12 years) i've had Coles he has never, ever started barking at another dog even when provoked by another dog (obviously up until the last few weeks), Which is why I feel they are packing up. ETA my boys were perfectly fine with the boxer until my friend turned up with her dog.

with regards to the training. I have asked her to start teaching her dog the "watch me" in the house and when she is comfortable that he's getting it in the house, bring it outside. she has not got to the point yet that she feels he can be taught this outside but she is working on it. if you have any further suggestions/better advice, please say, im open to all suggestions.

when out walking with my friend I am always looking out for dogs on lead and warn her if she doesnt see them first. this does make my walk a little stressful because im being the eyes for her and her dog to prevent her dog kicking off on an on lead dog.

ETA when we see an on lead dog, before her dog does, we change direction to avoid, but sometimes on the way home she cant help but bumped into on lead dogs.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 01:45 PM
ps having a stiffie is probably not conducive to good canine relations

LOL
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I have kinda the same problem when I'm out with Inka and Bobo, kinda being its that those 2 will chase a lone dog, or pick a dog from a group and then chase that, I have to be very vigilant with them and make sure if anyones around one of mine goes on the lead, they don't do it when ones on lead or when being walked alone, they both look like totally different dogs when walked seperated, a new thing Inka started this morning,I asked Bobo to wait, which he was, Inka looked at me with the grin, I thought here we go, he took off past Bobo and Bobo ran with him...I always think Inkas daft, but he pretends to be daft...
The postman this morning came into the garden,I opened the kitchen window to take my parcel, so he proceeds to sort through his mail in full view of the dogs,faffs around some more, by this time Toro was attacking Bobo for barking, 3 dogs fighting, I managed to sort them out seperate madam from them and go out to the post man, who proceeded to shout F sake as he heard the door open and ran out the garden, I had more than a few words with him I can tell you, no apology, he was foreign and made out he didn't know what I was talking about, so my training over the last 4 days introducing Bobo back in slowly has took a thousand steps back !!
Rant over sorry x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post

SB-Im sorry but I dont get this. Coles, 11 is well trained, buster is almost well trained. this other dogs starts the barking (my friends dog), which then started the boxer off and then Buster follows suit with the barking and then because buster starts barking, Coles sticks with buster. This has happend on three occasions during the last few weeks. of all the 11 years (nearly 12 years) i've had Coles he has never, ever started barking at another dog even when provoked by another dog (obviously up until the last few weeks), Which is why I feel they are packing up. ETA my boys were perfectly fine with the boxer until my friend turned up with her dog.

Er do not think I have mentioned anything about YOUR dogs, my comment was an "aside"
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Er do not think I have mentioned anything about YOUR dogs, my comment was an "aside"
Sorry I’ve misinterpreted your comments.