Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 05:51 AM

What should arthritic dogs sleep on?

I know there are now magnetic beds, I'm talking just generally.
Mo used to have a soft cusion bed under his big piece of vet bed. Last night I took the cushion away and left him with the vet bed on the flooring and he was a lot happier this morning when he got up...
Felt a bit mean though.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Not sure what is best to be honest. Kip has a cushioned bed and a sepereate bit of vet bed so he can choose (not that he necessarily knows whats best for him, but at least I know he feels comfortable)- sometimes he sleeps on the vetbed, sometimes the cushioned bed and sometimes just the floor.

To be honest, I haven't noticed it making any difference which he sleeps on, but others may say differently.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Bailey finds it more comfortable to be off the floor, he will either lay on the wooden cot bed they've got, or get up on the sofa, he does lay on the floor quite a bit but he is not so quick at getting back up again afterwards and I notice he will turn upside down with his legs in the air when he's really comfy but he doesn't do that when he's just on the floor. (He's doing rolypolys on the bed as I type )

I got him his copper necklace and really noticed a difference in him so I would imagine a copper/magnetic bed would help too.

Hope Mo is feeling better today
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys.
I left his cushion bed down in a different place but that was unslept upon, he was on his vetbed on the floor and he was pretty perky this morning. He got up pretty easily, but I have changed his exercise regime and he has been on a double dose of Synflex for 5 days now. He certainly seems a bit happier, so I think I'll just leave the vetbed down form him. He generally prefers to sleep on the wood floor now during the day...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 11:46 AM
My cousins gsd had one of those raised hammock thingys...

I'll find a pic, i'm useless!

Anyway he found it easier to get up from as it was raised and as it was a hammock type bed it didnt put pressure on his joints.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Ooooo that looks interesting. I suspect knowing mo though he wouldn't be enticed onto it...great idea though!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I think vet bed is more warming to dogs, cushions are prob more problems as its squishy and he may find it hard to get his legs under himself, kinda like you standing on a really soft mattress and trying to walk, it throws your weight around and unbalances(sp) you, I use vet bed all the time its been a god send with my lot,
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 12:46 PM
we just left storm to his own devices, some days he found it best in his cushion bed and other on a hard floor. But one thing he did seem better with was a warm water bottle, he would rest his bad leg on it.