Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 11:03 PM

Advice please(pup eating poop)

Hi all,
I have a problem with Meg she is starting to eat her own poo,before i have chance to clean it up she eats it or tries too.
I have never had a dog/pup that's done this before how do i deal with it,how do i stop it.
We are currently weaning her over to burns complete would this have anything to do with it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi Nissanmad there are things you can put in the food to make the feces unappealing liked chopped pineapple or pumpkin seeds, but they may not suit a puppies tummy, or you can buy something from the pet shop to put in the food.

If possible it is best not to shout at Meg when she does this , it will only encourage her to go where she can't be seen.

The best thing really is to stay with her until she has relieved herself , use a word to train her to go on command then treat and praise when she does this and clean up as quickly as you can. Puppies usually grow out of the behaviour .
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2006, 06:54 AM
The tablets you want are callet "Deter" they worked on Saffy. Although pineapple does work as well.

I have to say the tablets and pineapple will work only if its her own she is eating. Missy has had the same problem and she eats other dogs. I believe its to do with the food we feed them not being completely digested and so their waste is still palatable to them.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks both,
She only eats her own,as she's a small pup i didn't want to give her anything that may upset her tum,but think i will give the pineapple a go.
I haven't said anything to her just ignored it,which i will carry on doing.
Thanks again
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi Nissanmad

We had this problem with our last dog although he wasn't a pup by then, he would eat horses poo and our cats poo, not so much his own, we were told it was a deficiency in his diet, he also used to eat the coals off the fireplace, he was a very ill little dog and i'm not saying yours has a health problem and it may be nothing but if it carries on i would mention it to your vet next visit.

Jules
xxx