Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Catalina
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2011, 10:50 PM

3.5 month old won't pee outside

I have a 14 week old German Shepherd puppy. She is very intelligent, but will not pee outside. When I catch her peeing in the house, I bring her outside right away or when I bring her out every couple hours. She will not pee outside. She will wait until we get back inside to finish peeing.

Thankfully I have all tile floors, but it is very annoying to have to constantly be mopping. I have mopped the floors multiple times with bleach to try to eliminate the smell, but no luck.

The couple of times that she has peed outside, I have praised her and given her a treat, but she just doesn't seem to want to pee outside.

I also bought one of those doggy pee fake grass things and some pee attractant (I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building and it torrentially rains here), but she is more interested in sleeping on it than using it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi
Welcome to Dogsey.

Most of it you seem to be doing right but, cleaning with bleach may make it worse, so use a non bleach based cleaner. She is still very young but I am sure she will get there in the end.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2011, 08:13 AM
ah. its the bleach.
thats a definite no no.
the bleach smells like urine, so the dog covers it.
washing powder and white wine vinegar is good.

make sure the place where you take your dog to toilet hasnt scared or worried him as well
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Will she pee outside if you`re not there? If you`ve been cross when she pees she may not want to do it in front of her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Stay away from bleach and household disinfectants - they will attract pup back to the area. One part bio washing powder/liquid, to 10 parts water for cleaning is the cheapest way to clean up, or, if you're not too bothered by the expense, an enzyme cleaner from a pet store.

Outside after waking, drinking, eating, playing and every half hour if one of these activities hasn't taken place.

I assume she is kept on lead when taken outside? If so, try to find a more enclosed area, rather than a large expanse of grass/concrete as many pups are wary of the big outdoors. A smaller corner, a behind a barrier etc
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I was always told that soda water is the best thing to clean after a dog pees to neutralise the smell and that a lot of 'disinfectant' type cleaners can make it worse and attract them back.

Welcome to the forum! I admit to sometimes wishing my little dog WOULD pee out on my verandah - but she will not. I am on the fourth floor too - so it's out with her 3 or 4 time a day - first and third outings combined with a good walk. Second and fourth outings are pure pee breaks - she still won't go until we are up the road and round the corner in her usual spot.

Dogs are funny creatures aren't they!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 10:15 AM
first of all i wouldnt use bleach to clean the floors with

secondly try taking her out every half hour, every time she finished playing, every time she wakes up, every time shes eaten.

dont stare at her when shes outside and you are trying to make her go, this might make her feel uncomfortable, wander about the garden, so she should follow you, and walking about will encourage her to pee. then when she does praise her give her a treat or whatever and she will soon get the message.