Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
We're still research and have been in touch with the Director of Enforcement, Alberta (that's my preferred state). He says ''n Alberta every Municipality and County has their own laws in relation to
dogs. Most Municipalities do have laws in relation to dogs being on leashes
when off the owners property but they do provide off leash dog parks
allowing owners to exercise their dogs. Most public facilities (i.e. Pubs or
restaurants) would not allow any dogs in the buildings due to health
concerns so this would not be an option. If you plan on living in the
Country rather than in the City the laws are not as stiff and do not usually
have leash requirements. But at the same time you are required to ensure
your dog does not become a nuisance. Also licensing your dog every year
with the Municipality is a requirement in most places and will be something
you will have to check into when you arrive. Hopefully this answers your
questions and as a Enforcement Officer I appreciate that you are checking
into the laws as this shows that you are a responsible pet owner.''

So, not horrific, but just not what we expected. I now need to see it for myself before we go there so we saving up for a trip (if I can bear myself to leave Woody that long) to go over and do a recky.
As you say, you'd need to see what was available for yourself. Canada is a fairly large (well, flippin' huge country, stating the obvious there I think ) country with a very low population and an obscene amount of outdoor space. Off lead might be an issue in more urban areas, but I honestly don't think you'd have a problem away from the urban areas, based on what I have seen.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Here is an interesting hypothetical question...

Say you bred a litter of 'your' breed (or breeds). You have a puppy buyer that states, for one reason or another, that their intention is to never let the puppy off lead for it's entire life. The dog will only ever be lead walked. Would you feel comfortable letting the pup go to that home, assuming everything else checked out? I personally wouldn't be.
That's a good question- would be interesting to hear a breeders point of view.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

Say you bred a litter of 'your' breed (or breeds). You have a puppy buyer that states, for one reason or another, that their intention is to never let the puppy off lead for it's entire life. The dog will only ever be lead walked. Would you feel comfortable letting the pup go to that home, assuming everything else checked out? I personally wouldn't be.
We must be in-synch today Labradork, as I was thinking of posing the same hypothetical question!

If I were to breed a litter of GSDs or collies I would not be happy to let them go to a home where they stated the dog would always be on lead. I volunteer for GSD rescue and I also would definitely be questioning placing a dog in a home where it wouldn't ever get off lead.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:34 AM
wow finally caught up, thats what happens when you stay off for a while

Again haven't picked up any quotes but I think some of what Moobli said would definately apply to my dogs, however (sorry cannot remember who said it) mine don't just run and run, yes they play fetch run after the ball, I hide they find me, FS hides and we tell them to find him etc etc., but they also walk just ahead in sight of us.
We have had to lead walk Bruce when he cut his foot, and yes he managed well, but he was happier once he was allowed off.

We have done lots of lead walks here, unfortunately not being in the postion of Ramble where I could drop a 7 foot lead on as the traffic surroundings round us would be too dense.

We find that on lead walks...even in open spaces, ours drop back to our side and trot. More of a heel walk.I still think ours need a run, when we let them off we don't say run they just do it they love to chase, play, if Skye (the fish) wants she throws herself into the water, they go into undergrowth, woods, sniffing, marking etc., but they never go out of sight.

I can see what some are saying about injuries, but I think us (as a couple) are also aware of how much running/free exercise is enough, and I know when we feel the need to just chill....thats exactly what we say ''OK Chill now'' and they stop.
The walk back can be on lead and they just trot, so I think for ours it is a beneifical thing for them to have in thier lives.

We deliberately take them in the car to places where we know they can off lead, thats not everyday because of where we live, and they do have a walk everyday on lead.

However as Moobli said (this is mine mind you) have a happier time off.

Pidge & Hali my gran had a Terrier X born with NO eyes...just sockets, whether this makes a different as she never had them I don;t know, but she was walked over the fields with no lead, she listened/knew where we were by us using our voices.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:17 AM
OMG - have just read everything since 5.30 last night

Boxers CAN be incredibly high energy, indeed, moreso than gundogs. The 'worst' part about it is that they have no 'natural outlet' for some of their energy, as the task they were bred for no longer exists; i.e. gundogs can be 'worked' to satisfy their energy needs.

(Of course, you can 'work' Boxers. They do well at Flyball, Agility and obedience work. Around Europe, they are used as police dogs - look up ATIBOX on YouTube)

We over-stimulated Max when he was younger, insomuch as he wasn't happy without 4 or 5 hours of off-lead manic-ness outside the home/garden environment EVERY DAY. If he didn't get this, he became destructive and aggressive, including nearly breaking most of my face one day.

Happily, with lots of persistant training, he is no longer like this.

In terms of his energy levels, he can (and has) paced an Arab ex-racehorse at a good canter for 10 miles through woodland (a bit like a carriage-dog) without tiring. When finished, he wasn't frothing, panting, wanting to lay down. He was ready for more playing.

Max can't be off lead around most other dogs very often. He will instinctively attack them without any provocation and can do some real damage.
I'm lucky enough that 99% of the time I can let my dogs off lead on the beach as there are no other dogs there.

However, if I couldn't do this, I would permanently walk him on a lead. No sweat. I'd rather do that to him than risk him attacking and killing another dog (which he would) or injuring himself.

He was on-lead for most of our Scotland holiday and didn't suffer at all. In fact, he was more chilled than usual and incredibly tired - woo!

P.S. Murphy would rather be on the sofa than a) outside or b) on a walk. As long as his food bowl is within reach.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by labradork

Ah sneeky when you say it like that, Im climbing off the fence,
im not sure what kind of sinario someone would be in though to make such a choice for a puppy? so dont think its something I will ever have to think about.

If someone had a dog of mine and they called me saying, cant let the bugga off the lead any more as they are a danger to themselfs running off after rabbits, I wouldnt rush and take the dog back, {had it happen with one bitch, hollys sister shes a total hunter, makes holly look feeble} have met up and helped him a few times, so he can now let her off in many situations, but not all.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Ah sneeky when you say it like that, Im climbing off the fence,
im not sure what kind of sinario someone would be in though to make such a choice for a puppy? so dont think its something I will ever have to think about.

If someone had a dog of mine and they called me saying, cant let the bugga off the lead any more as they are a danger to themselfs running off after rabbits, I wouldnt rush and take the dog back, {had it happen with one bitch, hollys sister shes a total hunter, makes holly look feeble} have met up and helped him a few times, so he can now let her off in many situations, but not all.
BUT, this hypothetical question is all about people ''choosing'' not to let their dogs run off lead. I don't think anyone here is saying they would ''choose'' to keep their dog on lead. Are they?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
OMG - have just read everything since 5.30 last night

Boxers CAN be incredibly high energy, indeed, moreso than gundogs. The 'worst' part about it is that they have no 'natural outlet' for some of their energy, as the task they were bred for no longer exists; i.e. gundogs can be 'worked' to satisfy their energy needs.

(Of course, you can 'work' Boxers. They do well at Flyball, Agility and obedience work. Around Europe, they are used as police dogs - look up ATIBOX on YouTube)

We over-stimulated Max when he was younger, insomuch as he wasn't happy without 4 or 5 hours of off-lead manic-ness outside the home/garden environment EVERY DAY. If he didn't get this, he became destructive and aggressive, including nearly breaking most of my face one day.

Happily, with lots of persistant training, he is no longer like this.

In terms of his energy levels, he can (and has) paced an Arab ex-racehorse at a good canter for 10 miles through woodland (a bit like a carriage-dog) without tiring. When finished, he wasn't frothing, panting, wanting to lay down. He was ready for more playing.

Max can't be off lead around most other dogs very often. He will instinctively attack them without any provocation and can do some real damage.
I'm lucky enough that 99% of the time I can let my dogs off lead on the beach as there are no other dogs there.

However, if I couldn't do this, I would permanently walk him on a lead. No sweat. I'd rather do that to him than risk him attacking and killing another dog (which he would)or injuring himself.

He was on-lead for most of our Scotland holiday and didn't suffer at all. In fact, he was more chilled than usual and incredibly tired - woo!

P.S. Murphy would rather be on the sofa than a) outside or b) on a walk. As long as his food bowl is within reach.
Well you'd have to if wanted to kill other dogs. What on earth happened as to why he is that aggressive (wanting to kill other dogs) out of curiosity?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
BUT, this hypothetical question is all about people ''choosing'' not to let their dogs run off lead. I don't think anyone here is saying they would ''choose'' to keep their dog on lead. Are they?
People do though. I mentioned in an ealier post that I know of a chocolate Lab, a Golden and a Border Terrier (all different owners) that are never let off lead. These are young dogs that they have had since puppy-hood. Rather than make the effort to train these dogs, they do indeed "choose" to keep them on the lead. I wonder if the breeders of said dogs would happy if they knew they were going to a home where they were never going to be free run.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 01:08 PM
If someone approached me saying they wanted a pup but would not be letting it off I would not be happy about them having one....

If someone took a pup home and for some reason the pup could never be let off the lead I would not rush to take it out of the situaiton.

I see no need to enforce a no off lead time rule with any of my dogs (Well - Tassle was for a big part of last year - but that was injury), but I still feel that if needed a dog can be provided with what it needs without the off lead stuff.

As I said before - I would certainly hope that people could adapt to give thier dogs everything they needed in the event they had to, for what ever reason, keep them on a lead.
Page 35 of 46 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 > Last »