Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Teaching stand

As I am writing up all the training methods and stuff my dogs know collectively and also how I taught it them, I put Stand in without really thinking about who knew it and when I tried it with all 3 I realised it was another dog who knew it that I used to walk. But anyway I would love to know how it was taught so I can put it in my training guide (for the future)

Could anyone help? please and thank you
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
In training class we get taught like this...
Treat an lead in right hand dog goes on the left. Put left hand under dog and "stand" lifting up from the belly
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Treat an lead in right hand dog goes on the left. Put left hand under dog and "stand" lifting up from the belly
It might be difficult but could you perhaps video this for me - it sounds intriguing.. I think if I tried lifting my dogs from their bellies they'd shuffle back..
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
It might be difficult but could you perhaps video this for me - it sounds intriguing.. I think if I tried lifting my dogs from their bellies they'd shuffle back..
Ill try next week if you need me too. The dog starts in a sit position so its pretty easy you just lift towardsthe bum end and encourage the dog forward toward the treat. I love soft puppy bellies
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Yup, we did kind of similar, with slow stroking of the stomach and saying 'sta-and' in a really soothing, calm voice. Felt silly at the time but Kia can do it now.

Kia seems to 'get it' more if I do a sit to a stand luring her up with a treat pulled slowly away from her nose...

HTH

xoxox
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:35 PM
But wouldn't both be teaching them to take a step forward and stand?

I could try using his back command and click as soon as he stands and instead of using both hands just use one...
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:36 PM
If we are talking distance control then it's the 'walk back' thing we are doing in class. However, I also use the word stand if i'm brushing my dogs or whatever and I want them to do a stand stay. I originally taught this when Jed was a pup by putting my foot under his belly so he would naturally get up.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:43 PM

I could try using his back command and click as soon as he stands and instead of using both hands just use one...
Hmmmmm.....a forwards movement is involved but I dont think they have to take a step forward. They just get up.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:43 PM

I guess so but generally when I want her to stand she's been sitting/lying down anyway! If I want her to stand and stay I just ask her to 'stay' and walk away and she'll just remain standing where she is. That one took a bit of work cos her automatic thing was to sit down

We haven't even tried distance control yet so you might get some different methods for that?

xoxox
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
If we are talking distance control then it's the 'walk back' thing we are doing in class. However, I also use the word stand if i'm brushing my dogs or whatever and I want them to do a stand stay. I originally taught this when Jed was a pup by putting my foot under his belly so he would naturally get up.
See mine are big now - so my foot is too small LOL, should've taught it when they were little! I use the walk back thing in class as a walk back not stand - am I doing it right? Lol oops!

Hmmmmm.....a forwards movement is involved but I dont think they have to take a step forward. They just get up.
I would still need to see a video or pictures of this method - still confused as to how it all works - not being pedantic or anything..

Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
I guess so but generally when I want her to stand she's been sitting/lying down anyway! If I want her to stand and stay I just ask her to 'stay' and walk away and she'll just remain standing where she is. That one took a bit of work cos her automatic thing was to sit down

We haven't even tried distance control yet so you might get some different methods for that?

xoxox
See this might be where I fail - his distance commands are quite good so he might confuse stand and back - I say where he fails - there's only me that can fail!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >