Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nadine201
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Balance harnesses - any good ?

My 2 yr old Westie x Lhasa pulls something terrible and as I have recently had a bad back, has been awful on walks for me.
Have tried a headcollar (he hates it) and a harness which worked fine for a few weeks but he still pulls like a steam train
Was looking into one of those balance harnesses with a double ended lead etc but don't want to waste any more money on something that will not help.
I have also tried training him NOT to pull by stopping or changing direction whenever he pulls but not worked.
Thnaks for any replies
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I've heard of the harnesses working for some but have also heard that it hasn't for others (and that various designs have rubbed the dog in places).
You could perhaps try the 300 peck method?
http://www.druidalegsd.karoo.net/300_peck.pdf

Also worth remembering that any bit of equipment needs to be introduced gradually - put a headcollar on a dog and most will dislike the feeling, but you can train a dog to accept it with a gradual introduction.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I tried a Mekuti harness on my puppy and whilst it was better than a just a collar it didn't work that well. As she grew I found it helped even less.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 04:17 PM
you say she hates the head collar?

can you explain?

how did you introduce it?

what type is it?

have you tried guided walking using head collar and harness?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Nadine have you seen this video on teaching a dog not to pull by The Dogs Trust

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1...imalsundefined
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:06 PM
In my experience teaching loose lead walking is hard and takes time and I like to have a headcollar with me too. I generally practise walking on a loose lead for the first 10 minutes or so and then pop the headcollar on. I think it's difficult for a dog to concentrate for long periods of time.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I haven't used it but I've heard good things about it from others.

My dog pulls like crazy so I empathise with your situation. I can now get him to heel but it has taken the better part of eight months, with help from a trainer.

Because Dexter also lunges and I can't control him, I use a headcollar - Dogmatic. At first most dogs will resist it but if you keep going, and associate it with treats, you will find that most dogs end up totally fine with it

Might be worth a try if the balance harness doesn't work - but I hope it does and good luck!